Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #15

Home!

OK, I am finally home after the transmission adventure in Columbia, South Carolina. As I posted before, I wound up at the Mr. Transmission shop in Columbia. I got the rig to their shop on Monday afternoon and they said that despite being booked solid, they would start on it Tuesday morning. I stayed the night in their lot, plugged into their electric. At 7:30 the next morning they went to work.

They removed the transmission and started to disassemble it. They have a "clean room" as such where they do all the internal transmission work. After about an hour, they showed me the problem. The shaft on the front of the torque converter where it went through the oil seal had some ridges worn into it which ruined the seal. They said the rest of the transmission was in like new condition and needed nothing. They replaced the oil seal, gaskets and installed a new heavy duty torque converter. By 2;30 they were installing the transmission. By 4:30 the bill was paid and I was on my way home. He asked me to call him when I got home and give him a report on the rest of my trip and to be sure all was good with the work.

In my opinion, this shop is first class. It is owned and operated by a father and his two sons. It is clean, organized and very busy. They have great personalities and have the skills necessary to deal with customers in a positive way. While I was there, I witnessed several instances of potential customers coming in to have them check their transmissions for trouble. They did a test drive and in a couple of cases made a minor adjustment and sent the customer on their way with a handshake and a smile, assuring them that all was well and not charging a dime. At lunch time, they even bought my lunch.

If you find yourself in Columbia, South Carolina and need any sort of transmission service, go see Ron or Mark at Mr. Transmission. You will get quality service and attention from them. The total bill with tax was $1650.00 which I felt was very fair.

It amazes me when I run across a business, especially in a strange town, who does quality work at a fair rate. Even though this started as a bad experience by breaking down, it ended as a very good experience.

Thanks again to those who gave the help with names and numbers of local shops. It was a great help. That is why this forum is so great.

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #16

Hey thanks for the update, glad it all worked out, and glad I could help. So I guess I know where to take my old bucket when it needs tranny work.

Tom
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #17

Glad everything worked out I will stop by and thank them for taking care of a RV friend.
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #18

Thanks again guys.

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote