Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

Transmission help in Colombia S.C.

While returning from our trip from Michigan back home to Florida , we blew a front seal in our transmission. Ford E350, 1992 Rexhall 30' Class C. The M/H is sitting in Colombia, South Carolina at the Ford dealer. After looking at it, they tell me that because of the tag axle, they cannot get it on their hoist. I rented a car and drove my wife Lynda and the dogs home to Florida. I will return to S.C. on Monday to try to find someone to repair it. Now the question.....

Anybody have any information of a transmission shop in Colombia S.C. that is capable of lifting my class C or has a pit to put it over. Any info would help greatly as I an totally unfamiliar with the area. I also plan on calling Coach Net and have them research this also. I would rather use somebody recommended by a member than just someone out of the phone book.

Any and all help would be appreciated today (Sunday). I will be on the road Monday A.M and will not have this forum available.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwalter View Post
Any and all help would be appreciated today (Sunday). I will be on the road Monday A.M and will not have this forum available.
Bob, You need to call Ford Customer Support. Perhaps the resource I linked may be of some help to you.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #3

Bob,

Which Ford dealer did you take it to? I have taken my 1988 Winnebago (Chevy) to a local Midas shop a couple of times for repairs and they jack it up to work on it. As all chain repair shops they can be expensive. My only beef with them is that while they work on rv's, it seems that it is a sideline and "real" cars come first. They are located near I-26 and Bush River road (700 bush river road). 803-798-6494 ask for Joe or Albie.

FYI, there is a Camping World a few miles up from them on I-26. CW has called this Midas a few times to help RV'ers.

Let me know where your unit is, and I can try to find you a shop somewhere close.

Good luck.
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #4

There are also a couple of transmission shops in the same area as the Midas. Don't know if they can hoist your unit nor do I know anything about their reputations but their numbers are:

Action Transmission, 3137 Broad River Road 803-750-0001
Mr. Transmission, 1307 Broad River Road 803-741-5398
AAMCO, 2428 Broad River Road, 798-6130

And one a little further away but advertise they work on RV's:

Jimmy's Transmission, 3424 Two Notch Road 803-786-0389.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #5

Walker Transmision in South congaree is who we use I don't know if he does Rvs or not but he is the best in Columbia if you need any help I live in West Columbia.

Rodney Krantz
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #6

I have heard good words about Walker as well.

Tom
Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #7

Tonys RV works on Rvs his # is 803-894-3071

Walker Trans # 803-755-6546 ask for Steve
Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #8

Wildtoad,

It is at Colonial Ford in Colombia right now. It is driveable but I wouldn't chance the 400+ drive home to have my guy work on it.

To all,
Thanks for the recommendations and phone numbers. I will make some calls while I am driving 7 hours plus to get back there on Monday.

Rodney,
I will call Walker for sure.

I LOVE THIS FORUM AND IT'S MEMBERS!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #9

If you really mean Classic Ford on Greystone blvd you are less than a mile from the Midas or some of the tranny shops on broad river road. Walkers is no more the 12 - 15 miles away. 667 Main St, West Columbia, SC 29170-1431. (It's actually in the small town of South Congaree)
Old 09-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #10

I think that is the one. I was led there by the tow company so I didn't look at the roadsigns. I loaded into my GPS so I can find it. There are a bunch of dealerships on this road. I will make some calls on the way up there tomorrow and see if Walkers can lift it. If so, that is where I will take it. I will put a few quarts of fluid into it and drive it there.

Thanks to all for all the help. I will post the final results next week when I get back home with the rig.

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #11

One more option is the old Love Chevrolet Building on Knox Abbott I think it is
a napa autocare now they sell rvs I know they work on them also.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #12

Thanks for the help everyone. I will be on the road at 6:am tomorrow. Will post results when I get internet again. You have all been a great help!

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
KIX

I've had work done at Tony's RV in Lexington, SC. Not transmission work but I was very pleased with the work that they did. I don't even know if Tony's does tranny repairs but perhaps they can pull the tranny out for repair by a tranny shop. They seem to be good folks and I feel sure they will try to help you get it back on the road.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #14

Thanks to all.

I am currently sitting in the lot at Mr. Transmission on Broad River road. They will start work on it tomorrow morning first thing. I have a level place to park and he gave me power. I am set for the night. I also found an unsecured wireless internet connection that I tapped into. That will keep me busy for the evening.

I originally was at Capital Ford and they said they would not work on it. They couldn't lift it. Then called Walkers and the same problem . Called Mr. Transmission and he said sure they can do it. Seems like a nice clean shop and very friendly people. Hope I feel the same after I get the bill. I will post a final after I get home.

I subscribed to Coach Net before I left on the trip and it paid off already with the $250.00 tow bill. They were very efficient. I am very satisfied and have gotten more than my money back already.

Thanks again for all the help and information. It made it so much easier than trying to find the info long distance.

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.