Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Transporting Kayaks

What options are out there to transport two kayaks on a class C? I have seen some threads with a rear hitch mount. That wil not work because I have a small dirt bike I cary on the hitch. I would like to cary them on the roof. I have also read threads about concerns with drilling holes in the roof. If a system is available, I would have it proffesionly installed so hopefull thre would be no leaks. Even four eyelets would work and I would use straps that way they are flat and does not push the height of the Rig.

anything that is working for you now?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #2

Have you considered mounting them on a car roof and towing the car? Been my experience that roofs tend to be problematic on RV's in the best of circumstances and canoes/kayaks etc are something I kept on the car roof.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe a small trailer for your dirt bike and Kayaks would be best (but whatevery you do - no holes in the roof).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg5000 View Post
Have you considered mounting them on a car roof and towing the car? Been my experience that roofs tend to be problematic on RV's in the best of circumstances and canoes/kayaks etc are something I kept on the car roof.
I was trying to get away from towing, well of course it depends on my destination. That is why I picked up the dirt bike, so we would have some sort of transportation if needed.

I do have a small trailer, but just trying to not tow unless I have to. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Maybe a small trailer for your dirt bike and Kayaks would be best (but whatevery you do - no holes in the roof).
I do have a small trailer, but was trying to keep it to a single vehicle persay. The consensus I am getting is no holes in the roof. Thanks for the reply
Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Right - no holes in the roof. The tie downs and wind buffeting will cause stress/movement and before long it will leak. How about standing it up and tying it onto the ladder? I too have a Kayak but I tie it too the toad roof or use my small utility trailer. Let me know if you figure out how to take it along without towing.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

I had the same dilemma when I decided to take up kayaking a few years ago - we fulltime in a 23 foot Class C. After considering the alternatives (most of which have already been suggested here), I opted to buy a folding kayak.

'Folders' have most of the characteristics of a rigid boat, yet fit into a large backpack (sometimes two). Mine is made by Folbot, which I highly recommend, but there are several other manufacturers both more and less expensive. The boat rides on the dinette bench when we travel and on the passenger seat when we're stopped. There'd easily be room for two boats if we had them.

Inflatable kayaks are another option, but they tend to handle quite poorly.

This might not help you if you've got a lot invested in your current boats, but might be a useful idea for others.