Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I need to remove my loopy sensors to put some anti-seize lube or something before they become one with the stem. If I didn't pay that much for the system I would have already tossed it away. Well, let me rephrase, if DW didn't know how much I paid for the system. Every time the darn thing goes off she says, "oh, for the love of Pete". I keep telling her is good to help me stay awake. I'm one of those guys that loves every gadget I can get my hands on, but this one has been more of a headache than anything. I think having to check tire pressures while the tank is filling up would be better than having to deal with this system.
When I bought mine the instructions said not to use and thread lubricant or sealing compounds so I put them on as instructed. They have since deleted that comment. They should have included a hacksaw blade as a removal tool since my issue was not the first and I'm sure not the last either.

They are great at throwing you parts to replace their failed components. I'm guessing that practice makes perfect.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
When I bought mine the instructions said not to use and thread lubricant or sealing compounds so I put them on as instructed. They have since deleted that comment. They should have included a hacksaw blade as a removal tool since my issue was not the first and I'm sure not the last either.

They are great at throwing you parts to replace their failed components. I'm guessing that practice makes perfect.
Shortly after buying the kit I tried contacting them about the issues and no one got back to me. Earlier this year I tried again and someone did respond but I blew them off since I'm sure they wanted to sell me a repeater or more sensors. I wonder if part of the problem is with shelf-life. Maybe if you get a set of sensors with fresh batteries you are lucky.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #17

After several years of working with TST, I now have a correctly functioning 10-sensor flo-thru system. But mine is on a dually/fiver setup. Bought 4 for the trailer in '11, I believe. Worked fine, but awkward to take them off to put air in when needed. Decided to upsize to 6 more for the truck and the problems began--could not get all ten to work, and also problems with fitment on the 450 small holes in the rims. Back and forth with emails/phone calls with much frustration. Monitor would skip around and sit on one tire for over a minute--very hard to keep up with what the pressure was doing. After having about $600 invested, I finally got in touch with Mike Benson at TST, and explained my fitment problems. For a discounted price, he replaced all the old sensors/monitor with the newer flo-thru system. Took a little time and patience to get it all up and running, but now is working as advertised. Fixing to leave for 3 week trip, will see how it all holds up. I bought the TST because at the time, it was the only one to offer temp readings also. But what a hassle if any of the truck tires needed air--so went to the flo-thru system. At 90psi on the truck, and 120 on the trailer, not much different than MH pressures.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #18

Tst tpms ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I can understand the repeaters if you have a long bus and a toad, but ours is only a 35 footer no toad.
And mine is only 23', with 8' from the monitor to the rear sensors.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
That doesn't make sense Rick, unless your frame is made out of lead.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armenian View Post

Make them send you an entire new setup or give you your money back. Something is wrong with that one for sure. There's no reason what so ever that you would need a repeating antenna to make it work. Where would you mount it, behind the drivers seat?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #21

I haven't read a TPMS discussion yet that wasn't riddled with illustrating problem areas. I just had brass extended length valves for the inner tires and shorter curved valves for the outer tires installed at a local shop. This is a kit that includes rubber 'keepers' that fit in the dually access holes to keep the rigid stems even more rigid. I decided against a monitoring system when he told me the number of people that come in with leaks and all kinds of problems with monitoring systems (this Alaska Highway shop sees a LOT of RVs). These stems are all easy access now, and replaced the stainless braided extensions that used to be on my rig, and would leak air over time. KISS principle, and with a good gauge, good to go (probably even carry a small compressor to do my own pressure tuning when needed).
Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have done exactly as Siesta has done. This past weekend I had 6 new Michelins installed with the dually valves (chrome) and rubber keepers eliminating the need for extensions. Very nice setup and so easy to check air pressures now. I do carry a Porter Cable small air compressor and quality truck air gauge too.
I have been on the fence about installing the TST TPMS system and think I will pass on it for now given the problems others seem to have had with theirs. I'm sure there are others who have had no issues with their systems as we tend to hear only about those that have.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #23

They are going to send me a repeater, no charge. I can't really see the need for one either given the lenght of my rig. Supposed to call Mike at TST when it arrives for setup instructions. I can't believe my hub caps should knock them out. Sending the whole thing back is next, but we're trying to get back on the road. I guess I'll just use my old Pressure Pro system.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Armenian--Hopefully that will work. I can tell you that I struggled with intermittent success with my TST flow-through sensors until eventually I gave up entirely on those and TST just switched me over to the non-flow through type, plus an additional repeater (that's why I run two now). The other thing to check--I had a wireless RF thermometer in my coach to help me monitor temps outside (for fun) and in my water bay (to prevent freezing water lines during winter). Turns out that thing broadcast at the SAME FREQUENCY as the TST sensors did. If you have that situation, it could be causing interference, but I wouldn't think that to be your issues since you've linked the cause to the hub caps somehow. Just thought I'd toss it out there for you to consider. (I no longer run my thermometer until I arrive at the camp site).
Old 06-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #25

Mike told me that, too, about the weather stations, and I have two of them. Disabled them all, and the same issues. Even with the rig out in storage for the moment, still no readings.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #26

Thanks for all those who replied.
Got my repeater last night, and all the sensors showed up. Waited until today, and gave it another try, and AOK. Also, thanks Mike at TST.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad to hear it!