Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #1

Undercarriage

I know an older (1999) unit will have rust underneth her, but how much do they normally have?? Also, is it normal for the LP tank to get surface rust on it too.

The unit is spotless in, out, under the hood but the undercarriage concerns me. I know my 10 year old truck is all rusty underneth, but the body is perfect. And i guess a motor home just sitting around will get rusty from the ground up.
CamperKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
There is only one way to know for sure, and that is to get out the creeper and look underneath. Commercial trucks go millions of miles and certainly the technology to prevent rust is there. Whether that technology was used or was one of the cost cuts...

My experience with automakers in the US (from the supplier side) and increasingly elsewhere is that they make the product only as good as it has to be. As an example Toyota recalled the Tundra pickups for frame rust problems and I know of one individual that they would not allow to drive off after the inspection, and have heard of dealers with a stack of frames.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #3

Pretty typical for older propane tanks to accumulate some rust - no big deal. Same goes for RV frames.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Surface rust on an older home is fine.. you should still see the black paint, however.. If all you see is rust and it 'flakes' off, RUN.

I was looking at one that was only 7 years old at a dealer once for a good amount of money. Opened a basement door and when I closed it, rust fell to the ground. I crawled under and started poking the frame with my ball point and in a couple of spots it went clear through.

I ran and never looked back
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote