RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

Up to a Class C???

We have owned a TT, 5er, and back to a TT and now thinking it is time for new RV. We are considering the possibilities of looking into a class c.

Looking for opinions, thoughts (good and bad) of those who made the jump from a TT, 5er to a "C".

Thanks...

krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #2

We went from a 28ft bunkhouse to a 32ft bunkhouse class c. Biggest advantage especially with kids is you don’t have to stop to feed them or use the bathroom. You will lose over space on the inside depending on the configuration. Biggest thing is when looking make sure to look with slides in so you can see how much room there is while on the road.

elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite wa View Post
. Biggest thing is when looking make sure to look with slides in so you can see how much room there is while on the road.
X2 !!! You NEED to insure that while under way Your passengers have room to not only be comfortable but have room to maneuver..AND that you have full access to the galley/bath & bedroom....

Good luck in your choices..
(BTW.. You will grow to love the onboard generator... no more gas cans to pack along..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:26 AM   #4

We started off with a tent then bumper pull trailer , Class C , and now a Class A. We do a lot of fishing , so tow a boat with us. Setting up is much quicker with the motorhome and the C was just like driving a truck. The only problems with the C was the small water and holding tanks , no separate bedroom and lack of storage space.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #5

Class "C" = NO WAY !

Smitty,

If you are even considering a class "C", drive it on the highway AT SPEED, and listen to the wind noise. It will drown out a conversation @60 MPH.
None of the salesman's just around the block stuff.
If the "box" sticks straight out from the cab just behind the door, run away fast !
You can get a class "A" for the same price and enjoy a quieter ride and have more room up front, even with a dog house, providing the seats swivel around.
Can't do that in a class "C".

Just a Jayco Seneca class "C" owner's opinion.
And I'm looking for a used class "A" gas replacement hard.

Mike
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #6

I had a class C and didn't experience any noticeable wind noise at highway speed.

The DW and I stopped talking when we started up a steep hill with the 4 speed dropping down to 2nd gear but otherwise it was fine.

It was a Gulfstream class C.

My advice is to get whatever you think about buying on the highway for a good test drive.

I didn't like the truck ride of the class A MH until I found the Axis. It uses the lighter E450 van chassis and rides like my old Class C.

Its a Thor but we just returned from a 8 month trip and nothing fell off or broke.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
We also moved from a bunkhouse TT (26 Ft) to a 32 Ft Class C that also happens to have bunks/2nd dinette which we actually use as a place for our dogís hutches.
Road/wind noise is not an issue but as previously stated, the reving engine noise while climbing hills can disrupt conversation.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
The one thing I like about my Chevy class C is you really have to listen in order to hear what the drive train is doing on this one. The E350 class C I had you knew every time a hill had come up. Even with the 5 star Tune.

Wind noise? All my campers from the Class A to two class Cs have had more wind noise from the retracted awnings than anything else. Well silverware is always making noise.

There are class Cs with swivel seats. Not my cup of tea but available. Nuff said.

My class C has 50gal of fresh water I use for everything. I know Class Aís have 90 or more. I had one. But I can go for a week on 50gal. Two people could be a problem.

Old saw, but, it is in the floorplan. I use mine most of the time with the slide in because I can. My cab over is an entertainment wonder I have yet to figure out. But there is allot of storage behind it I use.

Last is to look for a class C with outside storage at the back. Mine has 100cf back there. It is 1/3 full after moving everything from my class A to the last class C to this one. Big rigs just accumulate things you really do not need when traveling.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
We also moved from a bunkhouse TT (26 Ft) to a 32 Ft Class C that also happens to have bunks/2nd dinette which we actually use as a place for our dogís hutches.
Road/wind noise is not an issue but as previously stated, the reving engine noise while climbing hills can disrupt conversation.
Out Freedom Elite has the second dinette and we love it. Great having the extra table for the kids to have a separate area.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite wa View Post
Out Freedom Elite has the second dinette and we love it. Great having the extra table for the kids to have a separate area.
Our kids, and grandkids are all grown now, so very rarely do one of them go anywhere with us.
Itís just me, DW and our two fur babies.
But, I agree, the second dinette is nice to have.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #11

We went from a 27' cougar bumper pull to a 27' Winnebago Aspect Class C. I am now in a 2019 Entegra Esteem 29V Class C at 32'. In going from a TT to a Class C you will lose the tow vehicle unless you pull a toad. You will also lose a lot of storage as you likely won't have that pick up bed anymore. Always check out the comfort of both front seats before you purchase. Make sure you and your passenger have enough legroom. See if the driver's seat reclines with the slide in. You are now riding with the silverware and dishes so make sure you pack them so they don't rattle.

You will love having a 4,000 KW generator built in and available at your fingertips. Setup upon arrival is a breeze, especially if you get automatic levelers. Counter space can be at a premium on some models. A walk around Queen bed is preferred (check out the measurements of what some call a Queen bed). Like everything else there are trade-offs but I love my new Esteem!
Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #12

We went from a TT to a a FW to Class C. We drove a Class A and did not like it. Engine noise was about the same, as well as outside noise. I cannot feel comfortable to be so close up front in case of an accident. We like driving the Class C better. Ours have a separate bedroom and bathroom. It also has a washer/dryer convo, and swivel seats.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #13

Thanks for all the input...

I presently tow with a Ram 2500 diesel. I do believe I would miss that the most going to a "C". Better mpg, better power, no downshifting - engine revving going up hills, truck bed, etc.

Lot of trade offs in both directions. Will really have to think on this.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #14

Are you looking for new or pre-owned? If the latter, have you considered a Super C? You mentioned liking the diesel which you would get in this package as well as much more storage, interior room with closed slides and towing capacity.

I see another Seneca owner replied earlier looking to switch to Class A. We considered an A as well but had concerns over room with closed slides, engine access and serviceability and safety. Since you already have a tow vehicle, you could easily tow that 2500 behind a Super C with capacity to spare. That you couldnít do comfortably with a standard Class C.

Tags
class c