Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Upgrade to Class A or 5th wheel ??

We have had our Class C for 1 1/2 years, for the most part flawless travel. Only have the usual maintenance and components for our camper. Matter of fact, just got back from Destin, FL, which our 3rd trip in our camper....
We are looking to upgrade; my option is a class A, and my wife is considering a 5th wheel. I think we would be losing options with that option.
I need your help with decision so we make an informed decision.
Thanks again

Willie
10 Jayco Grayhawk
31FS
Wknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wknox View Post
We have had our Class C for 1 1/2 years, for the most part flawless travel. Only have the usual maintenance and components for our camper. Matter of fact, just got back from Destin, FL, which our 3rd trip in our camper....
We are looking to upgrade; my option is a class A, and my wife is considering a 5th wheel. I think we would be losing options with that option.
I need your help with decision so we make an informed decision.
Thanks again

Willie
10 Jayco Grayhawk
31FS
It looks like you do not use your coach too much, if it works flawlessly, why the need to change? When we were in your place about 15 years ago, we already had a pickup, so the move to a 5er was easy. We had a bunk bed model, it worked well for us for about 5 years. Then, the kids went to college, and we wanted to travel a lot more. We have owned a class-A gasser for about 10 years and love it.

If your wife wants a 5er, and you want a class-A, well you know who will win that battle. Why does she want one? What options do you feel you will lose with that? For us, we really missed towing our jeep for the off road stuff we still enjoy. It is a very personal process, and you guys just need to figure all the personal reasons first. Take your time, have fun with it, and you will have no problems getting advice here. Good luck!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #3

Upgrade to Class A or 5th wheel ??

thanks Firebug, oh we do camp local here in OK, just family in FL and looking to go to Arkansas and MO...

-3 Pre / teen kids...even with two slides, small floor area....

Me -with an A is just pull over, with generator, and your rocking. Alot of 5er's dont have generators unless toy hauler and not looking for that option, of course we have looked at some and have that as upgrade, we do not own a truck of that size to pull so need to get a truck also...

Thanks again !!!
Wknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #4

5er or A

you will get a lot of opinions on this.
we started in a C and found it did not have the space we wanted, lounge area, sleeping, etc---upgraded to an A and then realized we didn't use it enough at the time (i was still working) and it was costing $$ as it sat. so we traded to a trailer and truck--not a good choice in towing.to much wiggle....so we got to a 5th wheel and then retired so this is it and darn glad we have arrived at this but should have chosen this sooner.
We are very happy with this since the floor plan is more to our liking and we have the flexibility with truck as get the around vehicle, no toad, when gone.
So its choice---invest in A, and pull a car/truck, is the floorplan what you want, etc?
After the change i go back and look at the available floorplans and see the lounge choices are not what we want---the recliner situation/theater seating is just not there in many of them so the 5th wheel is great. Lots of room and able to modify to our liking without a problem.
So does your C sit for a long time and you are paying to look at it or ????
Good luck with the decision.
Gary
Old 10-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wknox View Post
thanks Firebug, oh we do camp local here in OK, just family in FL and looking to go to Arkansas and MO...

-3 Pre / teen kids...even with two slides, small floor area....

Me -with an A is just pull over, with generator, and your rocking. Alot of 5er's dont have generators unless toy hauler and not looking for that option, of course we have looked at some and have that as upgrade, we do not own a truck of that size to pull so need to get a truck also...

Thanks again !!!
Glad to hear you folks do use it more often on the shorter trips. We have camped in the Arbuckles and loved the area. Lake Eufaula was a favorite as a kid, along with Lake Murray. You should go to the Hot Springs area, and the Crater of Diamonds State Park is fabulous.

We have 2 kids, and after several class-C’s we went the 5er route. I used the pickup to get to work, and this setup worked for us for 3-4 years until our kids were 15-16 and we realized we needed more space. We also had a boat, and did not want to triple tow, so we went back to tent camping whenever we went to the lake. Not cool. When we found a larger 5er, it was determined that a larger pickup would be needed, too. So, before spending the money on that setup, we were fortunate enough to find our current class-A for about the same price. We already had a jeep, so it made the decision easy for us. Plus, I am one of those guys that likes to try everything once, and the class-A was next on my list. Our coach is only 33’ in length, but it is on the W22 chassis which gives you the basement space, the allison tranny combined with the 8.1 engine. We had all the recalls repaired immediately, and have had no other problems in the 9 years of ownership. We have replaced the tires once, and will need to do that again in the next year or so, which is a big expense. The bedroom in back is separated by the bath, with sliding doors to open or close the bath from either side. There is room for 3 to sleep in the living area, and they are separated from the bedroom, which is nice if you and the misses are into cuddling. . .

So, you should simply embrace the fact that you have wonderful options available to you and your family. Take the time to check them all out, see what works financially for you folks, ask a million more questions, then make a sound decision based on your needs. Oh, and remember that a happy wife leads to a happy life!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I downsized from a fiver & Silverado Allison Duramax xtended cab long bed to the Tioga Montera and do not regret doing so (I do miss the p/u though).

I used the 5th wheel as a 'destination' trailer and am using the C as a 'travel' unit. We just got back from our 6 week 6000+ mi trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We used the 5th wheel for winter camping in Florida (Jan, Feb, Mar) for 5 years and the last year found it a real hassle getting a 30 or35 ft site in the State parks even when reserving 11 months in advance,

Now with the 26'10" self contained unit we can take just about any site available. I got tired of backing into sites with the long wheel base truck.

The space is limited but we are outside most of the time (weather permitting) but the slide keeps us from feeling claustrophobic on a rainy day. (had to spend the day in while it poured rain at the GC north rim).

I actually have more storage in the C than the fiver but we do not have leather recliners and it is a 'short queen' rather than fullsize queen but we will get more use out of the C than we did the fifth wheel. The corner bed is a 'pain' and the dog (Choc Lab) does not have a sofa but DW has the recliner so all is well,

I bought the 2500 p/u used and was able to sell it for 2k less than what I paid for it 5 yrs and 30k mi later!! I will probably buy a used compact p/u as we are currently a 1 car family. We see no need for a 'toad' because this C goes to the grocery store and we can 'sight see' if we are careful w/ parking. We were at Mt Rushmore and drove the Iron Mountain Rd drove all over Yellowstone went to Brice canyon, Grand Teton, Zion Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, N & S Rims Canyon de Chelle and Albaquerque Baloon Festival etc did grocery shopping and even went out to eat. Drove at Pigeon Forge to see the Titanic exhibit and grocery shopped

I do not like the mileage we get (probably 9mpg) as I did get 13 with the diesel but I can live with this when I consider how easy it is to use this unit.

It really boils down to destination camping or travel camping
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are going to live in a unit in the winter, a 5 er has more space but you have to drive your truck everywhere. With an A if you are traveling, stop at Wally, or a Flying J overnight, get to your campground, unhook the car and sight see. We just sold our pusher and are going to buy a Class C that I can drive and has enough sleeping and belt positions to take the gkids along.

Tags
5th wheel, class a, upgrade