Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #29

FWIW driving today I noticed that with our C I'm sufficiently higher than cars to go right over them. P/U's not so much. ;-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #30
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
Just down sized from 36 ft class A gas coach to a new 2015 Cambria 27K. Miss the storage but have most of the bells and whistles that the class A had. I missed the washer dryer. Love the handling. City driving is much easier. Mountains were no problem. Pulling a Lincoln MKX. Gas mileage is better. Noise level on the class C is much better. Have put 14000 miles on it in the first year of use.
The large trunk in the rear of the Cambria/Aspects go a long way to making up the storage problem. I agree that when I unloaded the class A there were numerous items that we seldom used. Last trip to NM did not tow and DW did not go with me. The amount or room with just me was luxurious. The class C at just under 30 ft was easy to use like a truck for running earns.

JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #31

Just picked up a Thor Outlaw 29H Class C this summer. Traded in my 2014 FR3 Forrest River Class A. This was my 2nd Class A. Never had a Class C before. Got Tired of putting the motorcycle on the rack and went with a full garage. Miss the basement storage but that is it. And by far! Class C drives just so much better. My class A was all over the place. Everyone offering the newest and greatest accessories to help improve the ride but at the end of the day, drove like a moving truck. The Class C drives like a mini van. No more wincing when I see an upcoming bump. Better mileage, manageability, cooler in cab, and having a drivers door is something I never thought was a big deal til I got it. The only way I'd go back to a Class A is if it was a full air ride DP. No more gas Class As for me!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #32

Class B license

Depending on the GVWR of your coach, over 26000 pounds, and in what state you live, you may have to get a class B driver's licence. And possibly an air brake endorsement if you have air brakes. A class A DP frequently falls into both categories....
Old 09-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #33

One of the biggest benefits to our Class C 2011 Winnebago View 24 is its 24'6" length allows us to park in almost any National Park and National forest campground space. This short length also allows us to drive on many length restricted roads that many other RV's could not.

Another benefit is parking in standard 19' deep parking spaces by simply backing in... and letting the 6' section behind our rear axle hang over the rear curb... perfect for landscaped areas beyond the curb. Works great!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #34
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
Below is a location to see what the CDL (commercial drivers license) Is require by state.
Nothing to do with most class. unless you are looking at a Supper C.
RV Driver's License Requirements
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerDon View Post
One of the biggest benefits to our Class C 2011 Winnebago View 24 is its 24'6" length allows us to park in almost any National Park and National forest campground space. This short length also allows us to drive on many length restricted roads that many other RV's could not.

Another benefit is parking in standard 19' deep parking spaces by simply backing in... and letting the 6' section behind our rear axle hang over the rear curb... perfect for landscaped areas beyond the curb. Works great!
This has the Mercedes engine right? Would you mind a few questions? What kind of gas mileage do you get? How is your speed on hills? Can it pull a small vehicle behind it and still have uphill speed? How is the reliability of the overall vehicle and the motor? I'm leaning toward a Mercedes diesel motor class c and have only had experience with class A's and a really old class c that rattled and leaned into every turn. I'm retired now and need something a little better fuel and maintenance economy. ALso tired of paying 3600 dollars for new tires with 75 percent tread left.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 Damon View Post
This has the Mercedes engine right? Would you mind a few questions? What kind of gas mileage do you get?

Do the research before you buy into the salesman's pitch on mileage. Unless you do a LOT of driving, you will never get even close to getting the increased purchase price (let alone interest paid on a loan, or lost if paid cash) back from mileage savings.

If you do travel much, you need to bear in mind the availability of parts, dealers (for warranty work) and mechanics familiar with the chassis.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #37

I've had 2 class C and 3 class A. I liked that the class C's front end was desinged and built by engineers with years of proven experience. Liked the overcab bed. Liked 2 front doors.

Didn't like some class A's plywood and vinyl dash boards.

The newer class C's are built with so much electronics and other system packed in so tightly, it makes it very hard to do any work under the dash!!!

What do I like most of either? The one with 4 slides and higher quality!!!

I liked the one most that cost the most. Or as it has been said, you get what you pay for. I prefer to buy used rigs as many are only slkghtly used.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #38
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
It would be nice if the OP came back.

I miss the full bath of my Arctic Fox 22H. I miss the full bath of my 36 Class A M type. I hope to find a Class C with the M bath someday.

Other than that my class C costs less to repair and drive. Fits in two regular parking places. So I pull a toad if I want to. Love not having the sun in my eyes and the heat that generates. Stopping and getting out of the drives door is SO nice. MPG is better than my A gasser.

Ya the storage is a bit smaller for holding tanks, like half of the class A. But I travel alone so no big deal.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 Damon View Post
This has the Mercedes engine right? Would you mind a few questions? What kind of gas mileage do you get? How is your speed on hills? Can it pull a small vehicle behind it and still have uphill speed? How is the reliability of the overall vehicle and the motor? I'm leaning toward a Mercedes diesel motor class c and have only had experience with class A's and a really old class c that rattled and leaned into every turn. I'm retired now and need something a little better fuel and maintenance economy. ALso tired of paying 3600 dollars for new tires with 75 percent tread left.

Engine is 3.0 liter V-6 Mercedes Bluetec turbodiesel.

Speed on Hills without our 2003 Jeep Wrangler toad is speed limit unless its a VERY step hill. Much more power than the earlier I-5 Mercedes / Dodge turbodiesels.

Overall reliability has bees good considering its a house on wheels running on VERY rough roads we go on: Alaska permafrost heaves, gravel, dirt & desert sand. If you're going to full time your RV or drive Ira lot you may want to get an extended warranty (we bought Good Sam).

I just upgraded our rear shocks to Bilsteins & rear sway bar to Hellwig from Amazon and am happy with the reduced sway in crosswinds, passing big rigs, and entering driveways with curbs. Great inexpensive optional upgrade if you want it to handle better.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #40

Airbags for safety
No Sun in your eyes
Less rattles because you have a van front end with could springs
Much easier to drive and less fatigue while traveling
3 doors
Not near as tippy right to left
Power windows
Power locks
Old 04-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My brief answer: fewer dollars per square foot.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
No class of RV is better or worse than any other if it is "fit for purpose".

"Fit for Purpose" - meets the needs of the occupants for their actual use.

Tags
class c