Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Urgent Newbie Question!

After a long long search, I've finally found myself a good solid used Class C, and am scheduled to leave on a trip this afternoon. I had it checked out thoroughly a couple weeks ago, and was told everything worked, including the fridge that "gets really cold".

I wanted to get my fridge nice and cold for the trip, so plugged in the RV last night, turned my fridge on to electric, and turned the fridge on as indicated (turning a quarter turn from the off position). This morning, the fridge is cool, but definitely not cold.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

M

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

You probably aren't doing anything wrong; RV fridges cool down far more slowly than the one in your home. We would always turn ours on a couple of days before leaving on a trip. The chances are that if you put cold food into it later today you will be Ok, but it would be better if you could let it sit for another day.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
You probably aren't doing anything wrong; RV fridges cool down far more slowly than the one in your home. We would always turn ours on a couple of days before leaving on a trip. The chances are that if you put cold food into it later today you will be Ok, but it would be better if you could let it sit for another day.
XX2
Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post
XX2
XX3, it is always better to stock your fridge with already cold food and your freezer with already frozen food. Also try to allow some spacing between items for good air circulation.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Be sure you are level too. Unlevel rv fridges can be damaged. If new to rving I highly recommend the little battery operated fridge fan available at Camping World etc. It takes a couple of D cells and run forever. The gentle movement really spreads the cold around. Best $20 you will spend on an improvement.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

I was tipped off to this trick, it works really well.

Fill a bunch of empty plastic soda bottles with water, squeeze them a bit so they have expansion room and freeze them. Then when you want to put the fridge in the RV on, put them in the fridge, an 1 or 2 in the freezer.

They will speed up the chilling process quite a bit, especially if you have one of those little fans in there.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #7

Smile

Since you're leaving today, if you haven't already, you can stock it with cold foods from your home's fridge. That should help a lot. It's asking a lot of your rig's fridge to cool a large, empty box.

On the other hand, it's not smart to put cold food in a warm box and then turn it on. Kind of a Catch 22. We like to put water, soft drinks, condiments and other temp neutral already-cold items in ours a day or so before leaving and then turn on the fridge. These items can warm up a bit without spoinling and at the same time take a load off the rig's fridge as it goes from ambient to cool. And we put ice and/or those ice packs in the freezer.

One of those small fans that operate on a pair of D cells placed on the bottom shelf is supposed to help circulate the air.

I hope you'll let us know how that first trip works out for you. And I won't ask if you made your first "campout" in the driveway.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #8

Geez, Murf, you were typing two minutes ahead of me!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #9

Great minds think alike...........

Even ones thousand of miles apart it seems.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Be sure you are level too. Unlevel rv fridges can be damaged. If new to rving I highly recommend the little battery operated fridge fan available at Camping World etc. It takes a couple of D cells and run forever. The gentle movement really spreads the cold around. Best $20 you will spend on an improvement.

X2 on the fan

without one some items may freeze or not be cold enough, depending on where they are located
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm new, still experimenting in driveway. Seems fridge works better on lp. True??
Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
yes. more heat for the ammonia cycle to work with. some folks will use LP to cool the fridge down, then switch over to electric until they hit the road, then go back to LP. i just run the electric starting the day before we leave, and always put cold stuff in the fridge, not warm.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #13

Thank you!!

I'm back, and have read all your posts. I appreciate your responses very much.

The fridge did get a lot colder after a couple of days on propane. I did make sure it was level (quite a feat, since I'm doing this on my own with a 7 and 9 year old!), and packed it with cold/frozen items before leaving.

I feel really good to have this first trip under my belt, before undertaking our big trip in August down to the Oregon coast (from Vancouver BC). I'm a great deal more confident, having figured out how everything works!

Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We leave ours on 24/7/365, freezer is stocked ready to go as are some things in the refer section. Since there are no "moving parts" in an absorption refer it doesn't hurt them, but will raise your electric bill some. I also leave the storage bay refer/freezer on, but it's a compressor unit so there is some possibility of it wearing out sooner.
the modern refers don't need to be very level, I run ours all the time with the RV (41') about a foot lower in front than the rear. No problems with it although the cooling unit did leak ammonia after 9 years, but that's corrosion from the inside. Now have the Amish cooling unit working under the same conditions with no problems.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags