Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
Used RV Mileage How high is too high ?

Hello and I hope this is in the appropriate forum.
First post here. Glad to find this community.

I'm looking to purchase my first RV. After many months research, my new /used vehicle of choice is a Class C Fun Mover.

( I've been traveling a lot in my E350 set up as a toy hauler. Gas engine, 150,000 mi and running perfect. We camp out of it. Love the lifestyle and want to do much more.)

To me 186k is not too high for the engine.... but what about everything else ?

I just found a Four Winds that has very high mileage. It's a 2005 with 186k. Duramax Diesel.

Price is right and it will have brand new continental tires all around if I make a deal. (Price is $20k) needs an awning and 2 hyd leveling jacks are missing. It's at a dealer out West.

I have read about pros n cons of high vs low mileage. It seems to me that it may be Better to have one that's well used and run, vs sitting around too much
With low miles.

Should I even go look at a Four Winds 33C / Diesel with 186k miles ? Supposedly all of the camping systems work. Is has some delamination on the sides. Im not worried about cosmetics, more about reliability of the mechanical systems esp transmission.

Thoughts ?

NewAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
I think 186k is too high for a 2005. The weak point is the transmission. Could be a costly repair. I do agree that a moderate amount of miles is better than very low miles because rv systems need to be exercised to keep working. I would look for one that has been used 5k to 10k per year. For an '05 that would be 60k to 120k. Good luck.

Larry and Stacey
2016 Entegra Anthem 42 RBQ
2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
I'd be more concerned with the delamination. That probably resulted from water leaks, which can be a lot more than cosmetic issues.

I wonder how much maintenance this MH has seen over the years. Two leveling jacks are missing ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
2016 Mazda CX5, on an Acme tow dolly, 4 trips 5800mi
Now 2017 RWD F 150 with a drive shaft disconnect
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Although it isn't my RV, my 2003 Chevy Duramax/Allison is about to hit 180,000 miles and is still going strong. 186,000 miles is nothing on the Duramax, the weakest point being the injectors. At least the one you are looking at doesn't have the injectors inside the valve covers like the early ones like mine.
2005 Safari Gazelle 40PBT
HWH Active Air
AquaHot AHE-100-02S
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote