Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #1

Used shorty search

How hard can it be to find a true 22 foot or less used class c motorhome?
Well in the last two weeks since the accident that took our last MH away
from us I could not tell you how many dealers have my name and #
What I am looking for.
Class C or B would prefer Chevy.
Rear bed and bath no slides.
Under 100,000miles and under 20,000$
Simple??? Not!!!
Found one Coachmen Leprechaun 190cb in CA $58thou!
Yea dealer new I could buy new for less.
I have searched
RV Trader
Motorhome finds
Motorhome Classified
RVT
And Many others.
What I have found is that what the dealers call a 21qb is actualy a 24'MH
So I think I am now searching for a 19? and get a 21' overall MH????
Now If I wanted a 28 or 31' there is a ton of them.
Who is hiding all the little ones or are people just hanging on to them??
Still working with insurance for comps. Well there is not any!
What would you say a Damon Hornet 2002 model with 75,000 miles was worth? To note I bought unit in 2005 and have done all maintenance.
I was driving it back and forth to Fl every year towing a boat since I bought it.
Now I am looking to replace it and am having a hard time with 2005 units being listed at $48,0000+ .
If that is the case my insurance needs to triple their first offer.
Well what do you all think?
Out and About if you see something post it up. I AM LOOKING!
CapeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of an accident; hope all that was lost was property.

I think under $20K and 100K miles are mutually exclusive. Especially looking for a Chevy (C anyhow, not sure what's out there for B's, but those owners seem to be even more proud of those units).

FWIW, I bought my 23' with a little north of 100K for just over $20K from El Monte, but there is a stigma from buying a former rental.

Good luck with the search.
xrcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #3

Well in two weeks I have found two units
Both Leprechaun 190cb Both 2017 units one at 50k and 56k,
Any other places I should be looking??
Old 04-19-2018, 12:13 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are you searching craigslist? There are options to also search all of Craigslist, not just local. Every RV I have purchased I found on Craigslist, including dealers. The largest RV I have owned is 24 feet. Here is a small dealer that travels the US to find smaller RVs. I bought a beautiful Chinook Concourse from them (21 feet) that came from Colorado. He likely can find one for you, including near your area. www.rvtradesok.com
Old 04-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #5

We had the same search several months back. Small RV's in good condition are hard to find in FL. They are out there, but you will not find them in the lots of dealers who sell new RV's. I was told by several salesmen that they do not sell any that are more than 5 years old because it is hard to get financing on them.

In Florida, it seems like there is a shortage of housing thanks to the influx of refuges from Hurricanes Irma & Maria. Many or the older RV's are getting gobbled up; even those that barely run.

Check Craig's List and also check with the small Mom & Pop RV repair facilities that take in consignments. We bought ours with 48k miles and after buying 7 new tires, an awning, new shocks, new brakes, all new belts & hoses, compete engine & transmission service, we are still under your $20k mark.

Don't give up, they are out there.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #6

Hi Teamfoxy you are in my neck of the woods when I am in Fl.
Spent many times in Long Point Park and Sebastian Inlet State Park.
I wish I was still down there, was out yesterday working in the rain and sleet!
Fl sun cooks rvs down there and the rust gets them up here.
It is suprizing though how much the older rvs are selling for.
Thanks all for the info.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #7

Used shorty search

I don't know how much flexibility you have but just saw a 24 ft with 64,000 miles Fleetwood Jamboree on pplmotorhomes.com for $16,500. It's a 2000 model on the Ford chassis
Valent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #8

The thing I found when I was looking is many dealers never bother to classify the length etc. So... if you are using the drill down to search by specs you will miss a lot.

I ended up just going through listing by listing and then checked for new listings after I made it through. I had originally thought I wanted a shorter rig, then I found out I cant get up my drive and needed a 36+ workhorse on 22.5 tires. lol Your right about them being plentiful around the 32-35 range and slim pickings below.

I also noticed the prices over last spring skyrocketed this year. Im sorry you are having to look at this time because of the demise of your rig. You don't get much choice in the matter.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey - here is an example. https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...567043188.html

(from the listing, not any of ours for sale). selling our little Motorhome made by Fleetwood 22' long and in perfect shape never leaked and allways stored covered

Ford Super Duty chassis and very economical to use with the 6.8L V10 engine runs and drives perfect (lots of power) get about 10mpg

the inside is very clean and carpets have been covered since new never any pets and all appliances work perfectly

list of features
Onan 4kw generator with 90hrs
ducted AC
large BTU furnace
inside and outside stereo
air bags and onboard compressor, 5gal airtank (also place to attach airhose for airing up tires of inflatables)
awning

This a a very clean well cared for motorhome has never leaked has no delamination and all decals in great shape
need nothing has current registration and clean clear title in hand