Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Useful vs Not So Much

Hey everyone! We're researching to buy our first RV. We've heard that newbies tend to get distracted by appearance instead of focusing on practical. So, what do you find most useful in your rig? What options do you find most important? What would you make sure to include in your next purchase? On the flip side, what do you consider "fluff"? We're looking at a B+ or C. Thanks in advance!!
HouSug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #2

We are on our 3rd motorhome and love having leveling system and satellite tv. Don't waste money on roof satellite, can't use it have the time, it limits you as to where you can park, portables work fine, however, many people have their own opinion on this and would disagree. We have side mirror cameras which are useless. Also have navigation system that we have never used. I love our nice big awning, very sturdy compared to our last one but I wish it was automatic, really takes two people to setup. Good luck with your search.
Hollysrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Beware of too little or too much mileage. Also high Genny hours may mean it was lived in or used a lot and will likely have low mileage in that case. Many times that means more interior wear and tear. It is also not that good if an RV is older and has neither low Genny hours or low mileage. These unit need to be worked. Albeit gently.

Lots of other things to consider and I'm sure others will chime in.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Dislike: the table and chairs are just heavy and bulky. Plan to replace with something more streamlined light weight. Would rather have leather furniture because we have animals. The drawers are too deep in the kitchen. Don't use the oven. Don't want the carpet. We added a memory foam mattress topper.

Like: the height of a ceilings. Lots of windows. The floor plan works for us.

Next time: washer dryer, second A/C.

Sure there are other wishes, but you get the idea.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I should add, every RV a person owns, they learn what they don't like about the one they have, and look for what they want in the next purchase.

If a guy could own and go through about 20 RVs, you'd probably end up with the perfect one! LOL
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch
I should add, every RV a person owns, they learn what they don't like about the one they have, and look for what they want in the next purchase.

If a guy could own and go through about 20 RVs, you'd probably end up with the perfect one! LOL
So so true, lol.......
Hollysrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot has to do with how you see yourself using the RV and likes and dislikes of each person that will occupy the RV.

Our situation is that we are retired and for the most part the only two people in the rig. We generally stay for long periods of time and are seasonal users. We go away for five months then return and put it away until the next long trip.

For us slide outs makes living so much easier. We have two, if we decided to get a different MH we would get more slides. Floorplan is a big consideration. You can like the bling but if you do not like the floorplan the bling will fade quickly. We have huge basement compartments and they are full when we travel.

A full size easy stand up shower is a big item for us.

Lifestyle has a lot to do with your choices. Are you going to camp/boondock then you do not need Corian counter tops. We have them it adds to the ambiance, we like it. My wife has a consulting business even though we are officially retired. So working in the MH is important. We removed the table in ours and replaced it with a combination table and desk. We found we just used the table as a desk and it was a lousy desk, so I made a better alternative. What are your hobbies or interest and does the unit really accomodate them?

A really good mattress. We replaced the "thin" one with a store bought queen size thick mattress. The awning is really important our is substantial and having an automatic one would be very handy, but then putting ours out is not a problem. But the awning allows you to be outside in the rain or the shine.

Ovens are big space wasters and our micro/convection oven is a very nice unit. My wife loves to cook and does not complain. I feel the same way about a washer dryer but my wife won on that score so we have one.

Even so we have lots of drawers and cabinets for inside organization and a big hanging closet.

Things like having a radio/CD player by the bed is overkill. I use it for the clock and the temperature only. Gadgetry for the most part is seldom used. If you do not use gadgets at home then you will not in the RV most likely.

My wife gets cold and I am always too warm. But I'm not stupid. So we have heat pumps /AC as well as a furnace and carry a back up small electric heater and a heating blanket on the bed. If momma is happy then everyone is happy----me I just adapt.

Finally and actually most important we have a dog. Didn't come with the coach but we gotta have a dog.

HAve fun looking and buying and using your new RV. We did and do.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't need slides but do wish I had a gas oven . I use the one in my truck camper a ton. I dry camp a lot so not practical to run my Genie 3 hrs to cook a roast.

I wish I had window awnings because it keeps it cooler in summer and dryer in rain.

I am adding a back up cam. I don't need satellite tv nor out door stero / tv systems.

I would have a jack system ideally.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #9

We moved from a 1999 24 foot class C to a 2011 35 foot class A. In order of preference:
Leveling jacks, slides for more room, larger bed that we don't have to climb into, ice maker and an exterior TV.
Our only regret is the extra length makes maneuvering a bit more difficult at gas stations and the smaller state parks.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll find all the advice you'll need in your search for the perfect rv. Wish you the best of luck and hope to see you down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #11

I have been a tent camper all my life, my wife not at all, and RV ownership is new to both of us. We recently purchased a 28 foor class C. My impressions so far on various features:

+ You don't need a slide for two people but it makes a huge difference in how the coach feels. We looked hard at two almost identical Four Winds 28' models; one had a slide, the other didn't. They both had very similar floor plans (28Z versus 28A) The extra 15 square feet of floor space created by the slide made the rig feel much larger and more comfortable even for just the two of us.

+ Headroom matters. A couple of years ago I looked at a few travel trailers and was bothered by the low clearance. I am 6'2" and could stand up straight in everything I looked at but it wasn't comfortable. All the Class C rigs we looked at had at least 6'10" ceilings and it makes the unit feel more spacious.

+ Unless you are young (we're mid-50s), get a walk-around bed with access to both sides. Climbing into and out of a bed stuffed into a corner is not fun.

+ Levelers are really nice unless you always park in RV parks with level parking pads. We mostly dry camp and the first timeout in a really pretty state park with a slightly sloped spot scared my wife a bit. She didn't like the stack-o-lumber leveling system.

+ One feature of the rather confined shower in our coach is that it reinforces the concept of water conservation. My wife and I have both become comfortable (relatively) with the confined space and on balance, I am glad it does not use interior space.

So what did we miss if we had it to do over?

- Our coach has limited counter space for meal preparation. The next size up - the 30' model - has more counter space. Since it's just the two of us, we're fine. If you have four or more, you may want more space.

- If you plan to dry camp without AC in the summer, consider upgrading one or more of the ceiling vents to power-vent or fan-tastic style with decent built-in fans. We may upgrade the bedroom vent next year.

Overall, we are really happy with our choice and in particular, we both like the size. It's big enough to be comfortable and easily tow our Mini 4-down but it is small enough that my wife is very comfortable driving and maneuvering in gas stations. She even drove us to the local truck scale to get weighed!

Good luck in your quest!....ned.
ncoonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #12

Evergreen Owners Club
Thanks for all of the comments! There are so many choices available, it can be overwhelming. We appreciate all of the info. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.
HouSug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouSug13 View Post
Thanks for all of the comments! There are so many choices available, it can be overwhelming. We appreciate all of the info. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.
One thing is DO NOT RUSH and don't buy from an individual from places like Craigslist. This is very chancy as found out to our sorrow. It's become full of flippers and other con-men. Try and take someone with you that can help you select a "sound" MH. It's safer to buy from a dealer and pay a few cents more.

Walk through them all and see what does and doesn't appeal to you and your spouse. If she likes to cook look for some counter space. If you have a cat look for one with space for a litter pan. Make sure the fridge is large enough if you plan to boondock. Our 1st RV, a Class-B had a fridge way too small. You will know your rig when you walk into it and look around.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #14

I'd urge you to rent one first. As a newbie, I can tell you there is so much to consider, including how well the RV fits you and your activities. I'm a big guy, and can bump my head very easily in my Class B. I can also get into a place where I'm facing the wrong way and have to start over.

I'd think if people are travelling from ski spot to ski spot or from cocktail party to cocktail party would make a difference, too. Swizzle sticks don't take up as much room as skis.

Be sure you have a good generator and air conditioning. These cans get hot. I've got an LPG furnace, but have added 110VAC and 12VDC heaters, too. I plan on winter stuff.

Otherwise, I think you'll do two things. First, get used to what you have, and second learn what you want in the next one. When I started backpacking I bought the cheapest stuff I could find and then noted what I wanted. Which was silly, I wound up buying everything in sight anyway.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote