Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #1

Question Using 50 amp service for 30 amp MH

Hello all and Happy New Year,

My question is sorta 2 fold. I have booked a site that is 50 amp only at a campground. For some reason, many of their premium sites were 50 amp only. I have read that you can get an adapter (dogear connector) to plug into the 50 amp receptacle. So I went ahead and purchased an adapter. Here are my 2 questions.

1) Is there any harm in doing this. Theoretically I should not draw more than 30 amps regardless.

2) The bigger question is I have a 30 amp surge protector. Can this be used in-line with the 50 amp adapter? I really don't want to purchase a 50 amp surge since I would never really use it and if the surge is higher than 30 amp, the surge should trip.

thank you for any and all input.

Thoughts?
2014-319DSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
1) No
2) Yes
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
RRR is spot on!

However, some RV Resorts that offer only 50 amp service on their pedestals will rent you a 50 to 30 amp adapter FREE to those RVer's with 30 amp coaches. Then you return it to the office upon leaving. If you forget to return it then you bought it.

One in particular is Beverly Beach Camptown RV Resort in Flagler Beach FL.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
X2 your good to go,
Old 01-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question 1) Is there any harm in doing this. Theoretically I should not draw more than 30 amps regardless.

Answer 1)The main breaker in your RV will limit you to 30 amps, Not only is there no harm (Well there is a very small (I mean microscopic small) chance of harm but frankly I do not see it happening outside of a lab. And this is the field I studied).

The adapter takes care of the differences between 30 and 50 amp.. The biggest difference is this,, usually if you try to draw 30 amps or more the park breaker trips, not the one in your RV, so you have to go out and re-set it in the rain (of course).. With a 50 amp outlet and dogbone it will be the INDOOR breaker that trips, you do not get wet. That is the only major differnce, Secondary difference, 50 amp outlets are USUALLY in better condition than 30's so you get cleaner power.

Question 2) The bigger question is I have a 30 amp surge protector. Can this be used in-line with the 50 amp adapter? I really don't want to purchase a 50 amp surge since I would never really use it and if the surge is higher than 30 amp, the surge should trip.

Answer 2) Will work just fine, there is no problem plugging a 30 amp protector into 50 outlet via an adapter, since the adapter does all the work BEFORE the protector..Will work fine, Done it myself back when I had only a 30 amp protector.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

Thank you all for the replies. That is what I was hoping to hear.

Happy Travels
2014-319DSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service