Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

Using RV throught the Winter

We just purchased a 2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A. New to RVing, we got it this weekend and are taking it on our first trip. We intend to use it about 1 - 2 weekends a month thru the winter. We live in southern Delaware where it does freeze during the winter, but certainly not like New England.

When we get back after this week, should I completely winterize it before we use it again Thanksgiving? Or should I just plug it in and run the furnace? If I run the furnace should the fresh water tank be empty or partly filled?

What about when it gets colder in January and February? We still want to take it out for weekends...

All help appreciated

Linda

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Commercial Member

i live in northern az. it gets to 0 or below often here, but warms up above freezing during the day. i have had three different class a winnebago basement models. we use our coach year round and have never winterized it, for 15 years.
i installed wiring for four 100 watt rough service light bulbs near all the water system. especially at the water fill area, and in the dump valve area. i make sure there is clearance so there is no fire danger. in some areas, i installed a wire basket barrier, so there is no chance of something shifting when im driving.
when parked between trips, i set the furnace at 40 degrees, and leave it plugged in.
i know some would not approve of this method, but its worked for 15 years without incident for us.
we have also been in laramie wyoming at 20 below. you cant get the coach warm enough at that temp to be comfortable. . just wear lots of clothes ,use an electric heater, , and get an electric blanket. its a real lifesaver.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put a light bulb in the wet bay and run a couple 1500 watt electric heaters inside, open doors and put a couple small fans to circulate warm air, especially behind the Splendide washer/dryer. Don't bother to put antifreeze in the traps either. We have mild winters here and the coldest we usualy get is 20 and then only for a short time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in northern Virginia and plan on camping in my rig during the winter. I did winterize mine last month. When I go out this winter I plan on just using electricity at campgrounds along with their restroom facilities. Come March I plan to drain the pink stuff, put fresh water back in the tanks and be ready to go 'full hookup'.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the same year and model Aspect as yours. Congratulations! I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as we do ours!
If you have any specific questions, please PM me and I'll try to answer as best I can.
Our one experience with winter was on a trip from home (Chicago) to Florida in December. It was close to 0˚ when we left, way too cold to use the tanks ( and I had no way to fill the water tank in those temps anyway) It didn't warm up until we got into Chattanooga and we still had snow on the ground til we got almost into Georgia.
We were warm enough using the furnace and an electric space heater at night, and we bought an electric mattress pad for the bed.
I'm not sure though I would want to spend any large amount of time in those temps though. The unit is just not made for those temps and I'll think you'll have some problems with condensation forming in the unit. They're just not that well insulated.
I would definitely winterize if temps were forecast in the 20's for any extended length of time. And I would never leave the tanks with any water in them at all. (don't forget the water heater) Also, when draining everything be sure to drain the water from the fill line in the wet bay (gently take a pen or similar pointy object and press in the check valve in the fill valve to get the water in the line out) Leave the faucets open, including the outside shower. Hold down the toilet pedal and drain the sprayer also. Any water left will collect in the low spots and could freeze and cause the lines to burst.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Thanks for the help. Baraff, you may hear from me! Is it usual for the electric heater to blow kinda cool air? We are in Boone NC where it unexpectedly snowed today! We are warm with elec coach heat + ceramic heater + 3 dogs, but I do notice that electric coach heat doesn't seem to be as warm as the LP heat we used last night at Walmart.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You're talking about the heat pump I presume? Basically it's only good down to about 40˚, below that and it just won't work. I have actually only used ours once, and the LP furnace will kick on along with the heat pump to get the coach up to temp, then the heat pump takes over.
I had actually forgotten about the heat pump until your post.
The LP furnace works great but it's a propane hog.
Did you get any system manuals with your Aspect? If not, Winnebago has great online resources, you can download the manuals for your rig here:
Manuals & Diagrams
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
This will be our first winter with our 2012 Fewwlander.
We live in Southern Ca so cold weather usually isn't much of a concern.
Christmas we will be going to ALabama.
What should I do to winterize?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

Linda -

Whatever you decide, I would carry 3 gallons (about $4 each) of RV anti-freeze with you in case you find that you need to "winterize" while away from an easy supply.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Linda -

Whatever you decide, I would carry 3 gallons (about $4 each) of RV anti-freeze with you in case you find that you need to "winterize" while away from an easy supply.
The Aspect 26A uses about 1 1/2-2 gallons of anti-freeze (the pink non-toxic stuff). Walmart sells it in the automotive section.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]