Originally Posted by TPLI
Thanks Mark. Good trouble shooting guide. I'll look this afternoon.
Wouldn't 12 volt lights still work even if generator was not working. Where do batteries come in to the equation ?
Good question. I would also trouble shoot that issue. If the batteries are charged there should be a shut off relay that probably looks like the old starter can relays on some cars. It should run off a switch by the door to isolate the battery from the system so it will not get run down by the sensors and maybe some other things that are hard wired into the system.
I'm not sure how the generator starting system fits into that but it probably starts off the house battery. Mine do and it makes sense. That way if the house battery is run down one can start the engine and then start the genset after the alternator tops the house battery a bit. BTDT. The fact that you can get the genset to turn over makes me think it bypasses the relay and the battery is charged. You can check that with a voltmeter. I'd take anything over ~12.6V as OK for now. It should be enough to power the relay. Depending on physical locations you might be able to hear the relay pull in and drop out. They have a loud click. On my units they have been near the battery under the step. On other units they are farther away so harder to hear. Easy way is to turn on a light and flip the paddle switch by the door. If nothing happens turn the light switch the other way and repeat. If the battery is up and you do not get lights either way look for the relay. If you have a couple of alligator clip leads it helps to be able to clip a meter to places you are looking while flipping.
Once you get the relay figured out there should also be a fuse block near the converter. Mine have had he flat car type uses. Assume that is industry standard until I see something else. ;-)
The 12V is probably separate from the genset as that should run into a test load. You might want to do the 12 V first as you can charge the battery with a separate charger if you need to. I'm betting it is either a switch in the wrong position or a bad relay. My old unit required the switch be thrown whether plugged in or not. New unit will power DC circuits no matter where the switch is so cannot predict what you have. The relay should be easy to find as all you need to do is follow the heavy wire from the battery. I have seen them easy to get to and attached to the frame where I have do work under the RV.