Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Sounds like the transfer switch.

kelliepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Check fuel filter on generator fuel line. If it's only run 31 hrs since 2006, it could be a gummed up carburetor. Also, usual set up requires you have more than a quarter tank of gas so generator doesn't leave you out of fuel. Try some Seafoam cleaner in the fuel tank, maybe spray carb cleaner in when it runs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Check fuel filter on generator fuel line. If it's only run 31 hrs since 2006, it could be a gummed up carburetor. Also, usual set up requires you have more than a quarter tank of gas so generator doesn't leave you out of fuel. Try some Seafoam cleaner in the fuel tank, maybe spray carb cleaner in when it runs.

When the generator runs or fuel pump priming button is held I can see flowing through an infeed tube

But I'll take a look.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #18

Thanks Mark. Good trouble shooting guide. I'll look this afternoon.

Wouldn't 12 volt lights still work even if generator was not working. Where do batteries come in to the equation ?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
House batteries are usually wired to Converter/charger and then a master shut off switch. This switch is often near entry door to RV. You said, "I also replaced the battery solenoid under the hood that was connected to the house and truck battery." I guess that was the isolator that separates house and chassis battery. You'll need a multimeter, test light, and jumper wires to trace what's stopping your 12 v flow. The Converter/charger should have circuit breakers or fuses, often on the side (hard to see) that might be off.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPLI View Post
Thanks Mark. Good trouble shooting guide. I'll look this afternoon.

Wouldn't 12 volt lights still work even if generator was not working. Where do batteries come in to the equation ?
Good question. I would also trouble shoot that issue. If the batteries are charged there should be a shut off relay that probably looks like the old starter can relays on some cars. It should run off a switch by the door to isolate the battery from the system so it will not get run down by the sensors and maybe some other things that are hard wired into the system.

I'm not sure how the generator starting system fits into that but it probably starts off the house battery. Mine do and it makes sense. That way if the house battery is run down one can start the engine and then start the genset after the alternator tops the house battery a bit. BTDT. The fact that you can get the genset to turn over makes me think it bypasses the relay and the battery is charged. You can check that with a voltmeter. I'd take anything over ~12.6V as OK for now. It should be enough to power the relay. Depending on physical locations you might be able to hear the relay pull in and drop out. They have a loud click. On my units they have been near the battery under the step. On other units they are farther away so harder to hear. Easy way is to turn on a light and flip the paddle switch by the door. If nothing happens turn the light switch the other way and repeat. If the battery is up and you do not get lights either way look for the relay. If you have a couple of alligator clip leads it helps to be able to clip a meter to places you are looking while flipping.

Once you get the relay figured out there should also be a fuse block near the converter. Mine have had he flat car type uses. Assume that is industry standard until I see something else. ;-)

The 12V is probably separate from the genset as that should run into a test load. You might want to do the 12 V first as you can charge the battery with a separate charger if you need to. I'm betting it is either a switch in the wrong position or a bad relay. My old unit required the switch be thrown whether plugged in or not. New unit will power DC circuits no matter where the switch is so cannot predict what you have. The relay should be easy to find as all you need to do is follow the heavy wire from the battery. I have seen them easy to get to and attached to the frame where I have do work under the RV.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #21

Do you have a picture of this relay...the one that looks like an old starter?

I'm just going to crawl under the RV with a flashlight
Old 05-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #22

something like this:

Amazon.com: Ford 12 Volt SW3 Starter Solenoid Relay: Automotive

Might be more metal and less plastic. The key is two big terminals and two small one's for the coil.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #23

Mine looks like this with only 1 small post.

Tags
power