RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 11:37 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Joe I;4903130]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'll see 8 mpg with no toad and averaged 7.1 over 92,000 miles.

So I think his numbers are right on considering he's not towing as not as heavy as me.

We're on the last day of a four week trip through California, Nevada, Utah and Oregon. There has been at least a 100 miles of single lane traffic with major road repairs really tearing up interstates 80 and 5. Very slow going for sure.

Joe I where all did you go?[/QUOTE

We live in eastern Iowa, we drove to Minnesota to catch I 90, then to Rapid City, then stayed 4 days outside of Custer SD, then west out of Custer into Wyoming, then north to the Northern pass up the Bighorns (14), we went up and looked over some old stomping grounds we used to frequent and then back down to I 90, then up to Billings Montana. We drove I 94 from Billings to Minneapolis and visited our Daughter and her family. Then down I 35 back into Iowa. We had not spent much time in Montana before and had never been in N Dakota. Very interesting and scenic in it's own way.

Nice trip!!

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #16

Talking Great motorcycle and Class C...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe I View Post
Well, I don't have any figures for hauling my Springfield yet. I hope you enjoy your Indian as much as I do mine. My wife and I were just talking today about bringing my Indian along on the next trip.
Got my Springfield 16 months {and 18,000 miles} ago, AWESOME BIKE, and before that had an HD Dyna Super Glide. My bride and I have been averaging 6 - 9,000 miles a year for the last 4 years towing a bike. That is a lot of towing but I ride an average of 15 - 18,000 miles a year and thanks to the towing it is often on the finest bike roads America has to offer.

Our particular favorites are the National Parks found out here in the west; Arches, CanyonLands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde etc. There is nothinng like seeing these amazing parks from a great touring motorcycle.

In addition gto the NP's we spend a lot of time riding in the southern Rockies of Colorado and northern New Mexico; Angel Fire, Taos, Pagosa Springs, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride tec. We have reservations at the River Side RV Park in Pagosa Springs for the last week of August with a site right on the San Juan River. The ride up to South Fork and Creede {near the headwaters of the Rio Grande} over Wolf Creek Pass is one of our favorites.

To beat the heat of the Tucson summers we often just roll up to the White Mountains which are only 3 - 4 hours from home. Got to ride the Devils Highway {666 aka 191} from bottom to top in late May, hands down THE greatest motorcycle road in America with more than 1,100 curves in 95 miles most of which is between 6 and 9,000'.

We typically take off early every morning after coffee and return 2 to 400 miles later mid afternoon. Now we can settle in with a beverage, hot showers, a great dinner, roaring campfire and sleep in our own bed only to get up and do it again.

Works for us!

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #17

Sounds perfect! Living in Iowa we have to ride a while to get to good roads but our previous big bike, a Honda Valkyrie Interstate, saw a lot of good rides, Smokys, Canada, the Deep South and your Southern Colorado ride from Durango then north. Fantastic scenery!

Good for you! Keep it up and stay safe!

Both the Indian and the Winnebago were made here in Iowa, I don't buy nothing but Iowa made!

(Humor)
Joe I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Capt Steve , I'm with you our little 24V E350 averages 9 to 10 no towing ,down grade to FL averaged 10 pulling the trike and trailer7-8 coming back .Only tow the Vue local and don't even want to know the milage.
Last wt was 10,760. Just have to keep the speed under 65. Had to do that for toad with our 36 ft diesel and it averaged 10, also our 32 ft gasser. Over the Rockies another story but this little 24 does fine. The only complaint is lack of leg room for my husband but I don't mind driving. When he sold the diesel, he said buy something small for yourself so you can take the grands, now he has been looking at some bigger C's. lol
Old 08-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #19

I fixed the legroom in ours with 2 inch risers under the drivers seat, works great.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
After 6+ years and 50,000+ miles on our 2012 24' Nexus Phantom 23 P, E-350, 6.8L V-10 with the 5 speed Torque Shift trans and a 4:10 differential, GVWR 11,500 coast to coast and just about everywhere inbetween:

Cruising at 60 - 65 we consistently get 9.5 and that includes a little bit of generator time {only 84 hours on it in 6+ years}

Same coach but towing my 10' cargo trailer {14' overall but tall with 7'+ of headroom so a fair amount of windage despite being tucked in tight behind our coach} hauling my Indian Springfield - Bike and trailer 2,220# we get 9

Hauling my Polaris RZR - Trailer and RZR 2,540# we get 8.5

If not towing and cruising the two lanes at 55 we get 10.

Front tires are at 60 non towing and 65 towing - Rears are at 65 non towing and 70-75 towing. I run pure synthetic oil, trans and differential fluids.

I run with my Scangauge displaying average and real time mpg along with coolant and trans fluid temps. Every tank of gas the mileage is computed at the pump as well and both sets of numbers are amazingly consistent.

Bottom line... take care of your V-10, drive reasonably and you can expect between 9 and 10 mpg but with the variety of road, weather and other factors... YMMV. It is just that simple.

Hey Capt Steve, I have a ScanGuage too and wanted to monitor my transmission temp but couldn't find it among all the possible capabilities. Do you recall what the abbreviation for the transmission temp is?
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #21

Talking Gotta love the Scan Gauge...

"Hey Capt Steve, I have a ScanGuage too and wanted to monitor my transmission temp but couldn't find it among all the possible capabilities. Do you recall what the abbreviation for the transmission temp is?"

Trans fluid temperature {the main reason I bought a Scan Gauge in the first place} is not one of the standard displays. To get it go to the "X" gauge section of your owners manual.

Most folks including me, just call Scan Gauge Customer Service for the codes to program it in. The codes vary somewhat from year to year so make the call. Armed with the right codes it is relatively straight forward to enter them and then you can pick your own abbreviation. I am using "TFT" but the folks at Scan Gauge may now have a better suggestion.

I love having the trans temp displayed as it varies a great deal... especially if you forget to engage Tow Haul. Even a slight 2 - 3 percent grade will send the temp up 12 to 15 degrees very quickly. Engage TH and watch it drop just as much almost immediatly.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:37 AM   #22

2017 Thor Quantam with V-10........all tanks empty and drive 60mph and get only 6.4 mpg......Coach has 5500 miles on it.......Is there a way to get more mpg other than getting rid of this coach.
tinker.round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker.round View Post
2017 Thor Quantam with V-10........all tanks empty and drive 60mph and get only 6.4 mpg......Coach has 5500 miles on it.......Is there a way to get more mpg other than getting rid of this coach.
Without knowing your driving habits that's tough to say. If you're flooring it everywhere your consumption will be higher than if you gradually accelerate regardless of top speed.

I will tell you that during my ownership of my 28' e450 chassis with v10 and 5 speed I've averaged just under 9mpg (gps confirmed!) and some of that has been towing trailers and 45g of fresh water. I also typically cruise at 65mph or so.
TRM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker.round View Post

There are a lot of variables, as in, motor oil, tire pressure, topography of where you are driving, if you drive easy or aggressively, age of motor, they do continue to breakin for quite a few miles, quality of gas (winter gas gives me noticeably reduced fuel mileage) I also get better mileage with premium. Like people are talking a ScanGuage will tell you a lot about what is going on with your motor and mileage. The Tuners that people get, me included, are of limited value. Spend that $400 on gas.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #25

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I call BS.
A 5 ton vehicle + cargo with a V10 and high RPM ranges to get max HP and torque isn't likely to get anywhere near those numbers unless you waited until you were at cruising speed before looking at the real time MPG average on whatever scan tool you're using for MPG.

Sorry dude, not buying the "I bought this thing believing all the pro-FordTritonV10 forum posts, and can't believe how bad the fuel economy actually is" propaganda.
I've got three cross country trips, over 6,000 miles each and I'm getting about the same mileage. Every fill up is recorded for volume that goes into the tank and divided into the mileage driven (based on the Odo, so there might be some minimal error there) to give a calculated - NOT scan tool, MPG.
xrcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:52 PM   #26

Same here, I believe him.
Just wrapped up a trip from Wichita Kansas to the Black Hills/Lead/Deadwood/Devils Tower.....in a 2005 Fleetwood Tioga 23E, on a Ford E-450 chassis with the 6.8 V-10......no toad, just Tigger the Tioga......spend 3 weeks driving around that whole area...2856 miles total, 297 gallons of gas, for a 9.61 MPG average...really wanted 10, but I am dragging around my home, so I'm good with 9.61

I'm using the UltraGauge....I really like it too...manual calculations match UG calculations...👍
Old 08-16-2019, 05:38 AM   #27

Hi Joe_I and the rest,

Our rig is a 2007 E350 as shown.

The rig is a low profile B+, only 9'-10" to the top of the a/c unit. It has angled transition walls, and measures 23'-8" end-to-end. I consider it very aerodynamic for a motor home. The rig on trips is loaded to near GVWR.

We live near Chicago. Our trips are roughly 5000 miles long, taken out west so many of the miles are across the Great Plains.

I calculate the gas mileage by noting the odometer at the beginning of the trip and then at the end of the trip. I write down fuel purchased to the 1/10 of a gallon throughout the trip. Our typically cruising speed is ~67mph on flat ground. Our fuel consumption does not consider the fuel burned for the generator. The fuel economy is fairly consistent as follows.

When towing our 2006 Jeep Liberty ~9.2mpg
NOT towing ~10.5mpg

Between the two vehicles together, we do better towing the Jeep Liberty because once at a destination, the Liberty with better fuel economy does all the poor economy area driving in the mountains and canyons and all the rest of the less-than-ideal conditions.

I don't understand why Winterbagoal would make such a comment. He does not know what he is talking about and is surely "Out Of Line" in how he communicates. He owes you an apology.

Ron Dittmer
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:15 AM   #28

Ron, thanks for your info, very nice looking rig!

I am getting better mileage than I would have expected. I think slowing down was the key for me, my Winnebago 22R is certainly is not aerodynamic, probably would slip through the air better backwards.

Tags
gas, v10