Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #1

V10 Gas Mileage Update

We just arrived home from an approximate 2400 mile western trek. We have a Winnebago 22R with a 5 Star tuner. No toad but a motorcycle on a hitch carrier.

This trip I drove about 62-64 mph. Most of the time. Sometimes in heavy traffic I drove up to 75 mph.

Wind speed and direction are a big deal, no news there.

Worst mileage 8.0 mpg, nasty nearly head on headwind. Best 10.4 with a strong tail wind.

But, 90% of the time with moderate winds and elevation changes; 9.2 to 9.6 mpg. The difference this time was I hand calculated each fill and checked the odo against the GPS. Which proved the odo was 1% off actual.

The V10 climbed the Bighorns easily. No need for full throttle ever, coming down I used Tow/Haul and let it downshift hardly needed the brakes.

Good trip, good camper, can't wait for the next adventure.
Joe I is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #2

I call BS.
A 5 ton vehicle + cargo with a V10 and high RPM ranges to get max HP and torque isn't likely to get anywhere near those numbers unless you waited until you were at cruising speed before looking at the real time MPG average on whatever scan tool you're using for MPG.

Sorry dude, not buying the "I bought this thing believing all the pro-FordTritonV10 forum posts, and can't believe how bad the fuel economy actually is" propaganda.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #3

Why would he take the time to come here and lie?

This place blows me away sometimes. The culture sucks. You'd think the average RV owner is the equivalent of the crusty old curmudgeon who yells at everyone to get off their lawn.
TRM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I call BS.
A 5 ton vehicle + cargo with a V10 and high RPM ranges to get max HP and torque isn't likely to get anywhere near those numbers unless you waited until you were at cruising speed before looking at the real time MPG average on whatever scan tool you're using for MPG.

Sorry dude, not buying the "I bought this thing believing all the pro-FordTritonV10 forum posts, and can't believe how bad the fuel economy actually is" propaganda.
If I could downvote you’re post I would.
Fritz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:48 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins (yes I know you have a Ford) testing shows it takes about 140,000 miles to get an accurate fuel mileage figure on their diesels. At 58,000 I'm seeing 7.7 overall.
The longer the distance the more accurate the figures. I don't bother looking at a tank by tank figure, just overall.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll see 8 mpg with no toad and averaged 7.1 over 92,000 miles.

So I think his numbers are right on considering he's not towing as not as heavy as me.

We're on the last day of a four week trip through California, Nevada, Utah and Oregon. There has been at least a 100 miles of single lane traffic with major road repairs really tearing up interstates 80 and 5. Very slow going for sure.

Joe I where all did you go?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #7

V10 Mileage Update

Very interesting reaction. I assure you, I used my calculator and did not take "best mileage numbers" from my ScanGuage II. I checked every tank.

Key facts; as far as I know one of the smallest class C RVs with the V10, I use Valvoline Pure synthetic oil. 65# of air in front tires, 75# in all the rear tires, the MH has 15,000 miles.

The 5 Star tune is specifically for gas mileage; I told them I have plenty of power, I want a tune for efficiency. I tried 4 different tunes, until I settled on the present tune. Also I wanted it programmed to minimize downshifts. Pull a hill in 6th then the next let it downshift while watching the ScanGauge, I will drop 2-3 mpg when revving it's guts out.

I know a big factor is speed and subsequently wind. I forced myself to keep the speed down (62-63mph) set the cruise and enjoy the scenery. I watched the ScanGauge (I was a little bored) and after 40K of pulling a 25 foot Layton TT with my Triton V8 pickup and now on my second MH, I may get getting a feel for efficient RV travel.

Driving to Orlando last fall, because of the traffic I drove considerably faster and my mileage suffered accordingly, if I remember correctly, 7.5 to 8.7 mpg. But I did not pencil out each fill like this time.

I did notice after a couple of fills (last fall) with premium the mileage improved, but not enough to offset the price difference.

Well, call BS or not, slow down, keep it in 6th and buy a midget MH and you too can get better mileage.

As they say, "it doesn't get very good mileage for a car, but for a house it does great!"
Old 08-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #8

My MPGs Calculated by Hand at each fill

I traveled to Galveston, TX from NW Arkansas (Hills).

30 ft. with V-10. 2017 year model.

Headed to - 8.5 MPG towing Jeep. Driving 65 MPH. Small tail wind or no wind at all. Cool temperatures.

Headed home from - 7.2 MPG towing Jeep. Slight crosswind from the left rear. 65 MPH. Warm temperatures.

I have 5 Star Tuner also, but I seriously doubt it helps at all. I might remove programming before next trip.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mr D sounds good for your engine and weight. I am at 111,000 miles and7.7 on my ISL 400. MPG does not really matter. Just fill up at a half tank and keep going.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #10

Cool Believe what you like...

After 6+ years and 50,000+ miles on our 2012 24' Nexus Phantom 23 P, E-350, 6.8L V-10 with the 5 speed Torque Shift trans and a 4:10 differential, GVWR 11,500 coast to coast and just about everywhere inbetween:

Cruising at 60 - 65 we consistently get 9.5 and that includes a little bit of generator time {only 84 hours on it in 6+ years}

Same coach but towing my 10' cargo trailer {14' overall but tall with 7'+ of headroom so a fair amount of windage despite being tucked in tight behind our coach} hauling my Indian Springfield - Bike and trailer 2,220# we get 9

Hauling my Polaris RZR - Trailer and RZR 2,540# we get 8.5

If not towing and cruising the two lanes at 55 we get 10.

Front tires are at 60 non towing and 65 towing - Rears are at 65 non towing and 70-75 towing. I run pure synthetic oil, trans and differential fluids.

I run with my Scangauge displaying average and real time mpg along with coolant and trans fluid temps. Every tank of gas the mileage is computed at the pump as well and both sets of numbers are amazingly consistent.

Bottom line... take care of your V-10, drive reasonably and you can expect between 9 and 10 mpg but with the variety of road, weather and other factors... YMMV. It is just that simple.

Capt Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
MPG sounds reasonable to me based one weight. One note, inspect your trailer hitch receiver regularly. On my ole Mirada I had cracks where it mounted to the frame. I suspect the PO was hauling something heavy like a motorcycle carrier.

Cracked Trailer hitch mounting bracket – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post

Same coach but towing my 10' cargo trailer {14' overall but tall with 7'+ of headroom so a fair amount of windage despite being tucked in tight behind our coach} hauling my Indian Springfield - Bike and trailer 2,220# we get 9..

Well, I don't have any figures for hauling my Springfield yet. I hope you enjoy your Indian as much as I do mine. My wife and I were just talking today about bringing my Indian along on the next trip.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #13

[QUOTE=Arch Hoagland;4901971]I'll see 8 mpg with no toad and averaged 7.1 over 92,000 miles.

So I think his numbers are right on considering he's not towing as not as heavy as me.

We're on the last day of a four week trip through California, Nevada, Utah and Oregon. There has been at least a 100 miles of single lane traffic with major road repairs really tearing up interstates 80 and 5. Very slow going for sure.

Joe I where all did you go?[/QUOTE

We live in eastern Iowa, we drove to Minnesota to catch I 90, then to Rapid City, then stayed 4 days outside of Custer SD, then west out of Custer into Wyoming, then north to the Northern pass up the Bighorns (14), we went up and looked over some old stomping grounds we used to frequent and then back down to I 90, then up to Billings Montana. We drove I 94 from Billings to Minneapolis and visited our Daughter and her family. Then down I 35 back into Iowa. We had not spent much time in Montana before and had never been in N Dakota. Very interesting and scenic in it's own way.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #14

numbers look good to me. I just bought a 20’ class c with 2017 Ford E350 V10. Drove it 1400 miles from Kelowna to Leadville CO. Got 10-12 mpg going the speed limit, sometimes 75 mph in Wyoming for a long stretch. Not towing anything and about 9000 GVW. It has 4.56 diff and SRW
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, v10