Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #1

Valve position for winterizing 2019 Leprechaun 260 ds

I am about to winterize my motorhome for the first time and do not know what position the water valves in the smalll service compartment in the “basement” storage area need to be in. Are they all open (up) or closed? Is one open and others closed? Just don’t know. Can someone give me some advice on this dilemma I am having?
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
I am about to winterize my motorhome for the first time and do not know what position the water valves in the smalll service compartment in the “basement” storage area need to be in. Are they all open (up) or closed? Is one open and others closed? Just don’t know. Can someone give me some advice on this dilemma I am having?
Do you have the manual which came with your RV? The information should be in there for winterizing.
Lynn
Old 10-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

We have a 2016 260DS The valves are up to open, down to close.

M
lopsided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Just turn/pull them until water starts to drain out the bottom of the coach.
Remember which way that is, maybe even mark it with a label or a permanent marker pen, and leave them until the water stops draining.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:24 AM   #5

Quote:
How many valves do you have? if there are more than two you are also looking at the water heater by pass valve.
Look under your RV. Do you have two drain lines below the bottom or four?
Again, check your manual if you have one.
Lynn
Old 10-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Pull 3 valves up to drain FWT and lines. Drain Hwt at same time. When water is drained push the drain valves back down then turn valve to FWT so antifreeze bypass’s it. Then position Bypass valves located behind the HWT. I put an access door to the water pump , I unscrew the water pump intake line then screw on a line that is inserted in the anti freeze container . Then go in turn on pump open faucets one at a time until you see red. You tube has videos that are very helpful!
I usually am heading south before a hard freeze. I just blow out my water system , and put antifreeze in the drains and gray and black tanks.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you downloaded the coachmen app? That has the information and pictures of how to winterize.

Equinox Toad
Old 10-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #8

Are you questioning that if water is present would it make any difference for the valve to be opened or closed? Once ice has formed, it will expand in all directions as it gets colder. A open valve or hose is just as likely to burst as in a closed system.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #9

260 DS winterization

Quote:
You need to open all three to drain. And open your hot and cold valves to allow air to enter as it drains. Let it drain over night (ridiculous small tube to drain tank!)

Then close all three and close the valve adjacent to the fresh water tank.

If you are going to use antifreeze then you need to cycle the three hot water tank bypass valves which are under the closet. Remove the large drawer.

Then turn the fill valve in the water fill compartment for winterization.

If using antifreeze use a short hose (2 ft) and dip into antifreeze jar. I sit the jar on small ladder or tie in place if on road. Close all RV inside valves. Turn on pump and cycle each valve till you get antifreeze. Don’t forget outside shower and toilet.

When home I instead use compressed air. Same procedure but with air compressor connected to fill connection. No need to cycle hot water bypass in that case. Set compressor outlet pressure tp 40 or 50 psi.

You might want to put a little antifreeze in bathroom drains, including toilet. Not needed for kitchen sink as it isn’t a water filled p trap.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Pull 3 valves up to drain FWT and lines. Drain Hwt at same time. When water is drained push the drain valves back down then turn valve to FWT so antifreeze bypass’s it. Then position Bypass valves located behind the HWT. I put an access door to the water pump , I unscrew the water pump intake line then screw on a line that is inserted in the anti freeze container . Then go in turn on pump open faucets one at a time until you see red. You tube has videos that are very helpful!
I usually am heading south before a hard freeze. I just blow out my water system , and put antifreeze in the drains and gray and black tanks.
I used to separately drain my hot water tank first. This year I drained the system first ( as above ) and the hot water tank emptied fully.

I too made the access cover into a door. Can’t believe the idiots used screws on something I need to access several times each year.

There is no need to unscrew the water pump intake. That is what the valve in the fill compartment is for! ( That is the compartment with the cleverly color coded connections: white for black water tank and black for fresh water. They had to search for a nincompoop stupid enough to design that!)

PS: the 260 DS has a water pump switch in the fill compartment. But it is kinda silly because you need to go inside to cycle valves anyway.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
I used to separately drain my hot water tank first. This year I drained the system first ( as above ) and the hot water tank emptied fully.

I too made the access cover into a door. Can’t believe the idiots used screws on something I need to access several times each year.

There is no need to unscrew the water pump intake. That is what the valve in the fill compartment is for! ( That is the compartment with the cleverly color coded connections: white for black water tank and black for fresh water. They had to search for a nincompoop stupid enough to design that!)

PS: the 260 DS has a water pump switch in the fill compartment. But it is kinda silly because you need to go inside to cycle valves anyway.
Thinking about this now I might need to cycle the hot water tank bypass valves anyway. Water could hang in the small section of pipe above the vertical bypass valve.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One other thing I found , no matter how much you blow out the system the filter (screen) on the water pump still holds water. I found for me just a easy to siphon antifreeze screwing hose to intake of water pump position anti freeze in storage area no ladder needed.
I open the relief valve after removing the drain plug on the hwt , to be sure all water drained. On first Rv , set bypass valves, caused a vacuum thus split tank in the spring. Costly mistake !

Equinox Toad
Old 10-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
One other thing I found , no matter how much you blow out the system the filter (screen) on the water pump still holds water. I found for me just a easy to siphon antifreeze screwing hose to intake of water pump position anti freeze in storage area no ladder needed.
I open the relief valve after removing the drain plug on the hwt , to be sure all water drained. On first Rv , set bypass valves, caused a vacuum thus split tank in the spring. Costly mistake !
Reset bypass valves after blowing out bypass line so shouldn’t have the tank issue. Good point on pump. I might pump a little antifreeze into pump. I have done that in past. If I open cold valve when pumping shouldn’t get any in hot water tank.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You normally open drains and close when empty;
HWTank can be (one or two or three valves);
if three, close inlet/ outlet and open bypass;
if two, close inlet, open bypass,
if one Valve, flip to BYPASS

Tags
valve, winter