Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
Vanguard Class C Motorhome Roof help!

Hi. I have a 23 foot class c vanguard that has a roof leak. It appears to be coming from the back corners. I have a fibreglass roof but along the back of the motorbike there appears to be a cap of some sort. Investigating I put my hand inside this cap thing, and pulled out chucks of rotted wood. Does anyone know what the purpose of this cap thing is? I can't seem to get under it to see if that is where the water is coming in.

Gbeazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
Coastal Campers
Picture of "cap thing" would help to identify it. No matter, sounds like you have some serious damage.

Thor Four Winds 22e
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Here is a picture of the cap I am talking about. I circled it in black. Not sure the purpose of it but all along the top of the roof is where the issue seems to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome top.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	139647  
Gbeazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
If you can put your hand in to any part of that cap and pull out rotted wood,
you have some serious issues. It's hard to tell from that pic, but I assume there is a piece of trim around the edges of that cap, which would have screws under the trim pieces, securing it to the roof and walls.
I'd assume the purpose of it was to give a more "finished" look. Unfortunately if the seams aren't maintained, you get rotted wood.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote

class c, motorhome, roof