Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #1

vapor locking issues. Please help!

Hi All

My 1979 Dodge Tioga Class C which I Bought back in July drives really good. In fact in 3 months I have probably but close to 3000 miles on it. However it has issues with vapor locking. I have done a lot of car work on automobiles of all kinds. I gave the motorhome a complete tuneup shortly after I bought, changed the oil, and took it on the interstate to really clean out the motor. It passed the safety and smog tests. It's a smooth ride.

Motor and tranny are in great shape. But I cannot seem to resolve the vapor lock issue.
This is the carbourated Dodge 440. Big block. It's like an older HEMI engine. Only has 91 k miles on it which is very reasonable for this year. It acts up when it's cold and when it's hot. Does not cause drivability issues just hard starts. I finally resorted to carrying a can of starting fluid around. Spraying a couple of puffs into the intake of the carburetor whenever I go to start the motor. I also give it health dose of carburetor cleaner when I have the motor running in idle. Seems to have fixed the issue for now. But if I run out of starting fluid then I'm back to square one. So I need to find a more permanent fix to this problem. Your input may shed some light on an idea I might have missed. So please help if you can. Thank
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

Vapor lock is caused by fuel boiling in the carbuetor. Rebuild the carb and be sure to install an insulating spacre between it and the manifold. If that does not cure the problem it is time for a fuel pressure check. Possibly have a bad fuel pump.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Install a high volume electric fuel pump isolated from heat and control radiant heat around the carb. But honestly if the symptom occur during cold temps and starting, I doubt it is a vapor lock issue.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Just a ponder....Is the choke working?? Otherwise I would check the fuel pump pressure.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Just a ponder....Is the choke working??
Yes the choke is working. I pulled the dog house off while the motor was at operating temperature. The choke was wide open.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #6

Is the 1979 production date for the motor home portion of your RV.
Or the chassis build date ?
1978 was the last year for the big block, 400 LB /440RB , installed in Chrysler products, but a huge inventory pile up lead to 79 and even some 80, MHs being built on these chassis.
Anyhow , that's all beside the point.
Questions .
Is your engine equipped with a Holley 4bbl carb; or a Carter Thermoquad?
The Holley carbs tended to be worse for the after boil problems, and there was a 3/8" thick bake lite spacer , released to try and deal with the issue, by insulating the carb from the manifold heat.
I've seen wooden clothes pegs on the fuel lines , from the pump to the carb , used a home remedy for the problem, but that's really not a true fix.

The 426 Hemi , was a derivative of the 413/426 max wedge engines; and is not the old Hemi, that started production many years earlier under the names , Fire Dome & Red Ram. 284>392 CU.IN.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Install a high volume electric fuel pump isolated from heat and control radiant heat around the carb. But honestly if the symptom occur during cold temps and starting, I doubt it is a vapor lock issue.

The rv has a mechanical fuel pump on motor and a factory installed electric pump in the tank with an on/off switch by the steering wheel. This gives me a thought though. Because the carb is inverted back under the dog house, I wonder if it's not getting enough air?
Old 09-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #8

The factory never installed an electric pump in these units, and if it's controlled by a switch on the dash , it's a definite , add on; probably to attempt to fix the issue you're having.
Do the air cleaner housing snorkels , have duct work that extends over the top of the rad to pick up cool air from behind the grill? ( in front of the rad.)
That may have be a mid 80's factory addition to try and deal with the after boil issue, that continued till throttle body fuel injection was introduced.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #9

I had a vehicle with a 454 years back that I thought was vapor locking, what was actually happening was the carburetor bowl was draining back to fuel tank, wish I could remember more details, but something to check anyway. Good luck

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Is the 1979 production date for the motor home portion of your RV.
Or the chassis build date ?
1978 was the last year for the big block, 400 LB /440RB , installed in Chrysler products, but a huge inventory pile up lead to 79 and even some 80, MHs being built on these chassis.
Anyhow , that's all beside the point.
Questions .
Is your engine equipped with a Holley 4bbl carb; or a Carter Thermoquad?
The Holley carbs tended to be worse for the after boil problems, and there was a 3/8" thick bake lite spacer , released to try and deal with the issue, by insulating the carb from the manifold heat.
I've seen wooden clothes pegs on the fuel lines , from the pump to the carb , used a home remedy for the problem, but that's really not a true fix.

The 426 Hemi , was a derivative of the 413/426 max wedge engines; and is not the old Hemi, that started production many years earlier under the names , Fire Dome & Red Ram. 284>392 CU.IN.
. The production date is on the chassis. As I open the drivers side door. It's the dog tag style tag, mounted on the top of the wheel hub cover inside the vehicle. To the Best of my knowledge, this is a Holly 4 barrel carb This is the 440 7.2 liter v8
. no this is not the Fire Dome or Red Ram. The engine has the regular Chrysler insignia on the tags, stating these are original Chrysler Factory parts.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Yes the choke is working. I pulled the dog house off while the motor was at operating temperature. The choke was wide open.
My question was more towards the cold start issue. Still would suggest putting a fuel pressure guage on the line to the carb and making sure both pumps are working. JMHO
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annierufus View Post
I had a vehicle with a 454 years back that I thought was vapor locking, what was actually happening was the carburetor bowl was draining back to fuel tank, wish I could remember more details, but something to check anyway. Good luck

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460

I'm just curious. What did you do to solve the problem?
Old 09-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
My question was more towards the cold start issue. Still would suggest putting a fuel pressure guage on the line to the carb and making sure both pumps are working. JMHO

The motor runs even if the electric pump is off. And I can hear the motor to electric pump when I flip the switch. So yes both are working. But I will give it a fuel pressure test to see if maybe one of the pumps are under performing or if I have a vacuum leak.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Might check that the fuel line that comes out of the fuel pump and goes to the carburetor is not close to any thing that is a big heat producer.