Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #1

Vibrations and hot inner rear left tire

After driving our 2002 Jayco Grehawk class C for about 2 hours we started feeling some vibrations like if it was caused by an unbalanced wheel.
After stoping for inspection I found the under rear left tire to be very hot and kind of rounded with an unusual curvature across the thread width. All other 5 tires appear normal.
Temperature and pressure from the TPMS indicate normal temperature and pressure ( comparable to the other tires). On the inner tire I have my sensor at the end of a braided extension so I guess it doesn't really measure actual temperature that well.
I had noticed once before a similar problem when I had a worn out spare tire at the same location. I had thought then that it was because of the condition of the tire. But this time the tire both rear left tire seems similar in term of wear, and manufacturing date was only a couple years ago I think.
Any idea what could be causing this? Could it be a rear left brake issue? I think i first noticed the vibration just after we stopped to switch driver, it appear fine just before that and we stop only a few minutes.
Rmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 11:36 PM   #2

Tire separation,

Date code will be on the side wall, don't guess on the age of the tires, be sure , they don't need an excuse to fail they just do; and anything over five years old in light truck, or trailer tires is questionable.
If the brakes were getting hot enough to affect the tire they would have to be smoking, and you would have been able to smell them as soon as you stopped.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree, likely internal failure of the tire itself.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry an IR gun and shoot my tires every time I stop. When I see a tire 10 degrees warmer than the others I check it's pressure.

Tires will vary in temperature 6 or 7 degrees based on wind and sun hitting it from various angles.

Dragging brakes and defective wheel bearings will cause heat too.

I suggest an IR gun.

I'd also use a hand held tire pressure gauge on that rounded tire...sounds like low inflation to me.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #5

You are describing my tire failures 2 years ago.

Tires were off brand, 7 years old, with 8000 miles.

First, while in GA. a front started feeling like it lost some wheel weights. I dug thru the POs records and found a bill for sand balancing.

Went to a tire shop and had them inspect, condem 1 front and replace both.

About 2000 miles later, traveling in PA, rear started same thing. Limped into tire shop and 4 rear tires fixed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1472881658317.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	137955  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:16 AM   #6

Thanks all. I will put my spare tire to replace this one. This one is brand new like the two tires on the right rear side. I am pretty sure the date was less than five years old as I had check them all but just don't remember right now.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

Vibrations and hot inner rear left tire

The tire I replaced was less than 3 years old and did not appear damaged externally before. It brand is Ironman Radial A/P. Any one ever used this brand? Size is LT225/75R16. Any recommendations for buying a new spare tire?
Old 09-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What continuous speed do drive? Is the tail pipe located on that side near the tire? How does the temp run with your TPMS as compared to the other rears?

I've never heard of that brand.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #9

Was that 3 year old tire run next to a bad tire that went flat. It could have suffered some damage in an overload situation.

Never heard of that tire brand either.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #10

I drive between 60 and 65. The tire was on the other side of the tail pipe. All 4 rear tires were similar pressure and temperature. They were at 73 psi cold and were around 82-84 I think when driving. As I said the TPMS for the inner tire was on a steel braided exttension which I believe explains why it did not registered any higher temperature.
I think the brand was Hercules, the model was Ironman. Made in China.
I guess I should probably try Michelin next time.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #11

I run my tires at 65 front and 80 rear, as per the door sticker.

I am using Bridgstone Durvis tires. I think the cost me $205., a piece, installed.

15,000 miles so far on some real bad NY City highways and a bunch of trips to FL and back.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmind View Post
After driving our 2002 Jayco Grehawk class C for about 2 hours we started feeling some vibrations like if it was caused by an unbalanced wheel.
After stoping for inspection I found the under rear left tire to be very hot and kind of rounded with an unusual curvature across the thread width. All other 5 tires appear normal.
Temperature and pressure from the TPMS indicate normal temperature and pressure ( comparable to the other tires). On the inner tire I have my sensor at the end of a braided extension so I guess it doesn't really measure actual temperature that well.
I had noticed once before a similar problem when I had a worn out spare tire at the same location. I had thought then that it was because of the condition of the tire. But this time the tire both rear left tire seems similar in term of wear, and manufacturing date was only a couple years ago I think.
Any idea what could be causing this? Could it be a rear left brake issue? I think i first noticed the vibration just after we stopped to switch driver, it appear fine just before that and we stop only a few minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmind View Post
I am pretty sure the date was less than five years old
[QUOTE=Rmind;3238430]I drive between 60 and 65. The tire was on the other side of the tail pipe. All 4 rear tires were similar pressure and temperature. They were at 73 psi cold and were around 82-84 I think when driving. As I said the TPMS for the inner tire was on a steel braided exttension which I believe explains why it did not registered any higher temperature.
I think the brand was Hercules, the model was Ironman. Made in China.
I guess I should probably try Michelin next time.[/QUOT

Rmind
"I guess", "I think", "I'm pretty sure", "I should probably try Michelins" ??

IMO there is to much guessing going on about your tires..... and about what is a reputable tire.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

IMO there is to much guessing going on about your tires..... and about what is a reputable tire.
I thought that was what he was here for, facts, opinions, and suggestions.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I thought that was what he was here for, facts, opinions, and suggestions.
Only the OP can read the DOT date code and the brand name on the sidewalls of the tires on his RV...
(without facts we are left to guess).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibration