Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #1

Waiting For electrical Book

The RV electrical book is on it's way but in the meantime the house bartteries don't seem top be charging while driving. I'm good with electrical but advise is always welcome

2000 Coachman / Ford

Battery under step selonoid by battery is this for system shutoff or emergency start?

Selonoid under seat by converter ?

Selonoid by generator Onan 4 k t start generator ??

Run / Store switch by door with light

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Everything looks like it's been recently replaced. I cleaned all the grounds bared metal and greased everything before putting together with new stainless bolts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why don't you just go out and crank up the R/V and then take a VOM and see what the voltage is at the house bank. If it is 13 volts or better then you know the house bank is getting a charge. Oh don't hove the shore power hooked up when doing this test.
After you check the voltage with the engine running have the DW turn the engine off while you are still holding the terminals to the VOM on the battery. If the volts drop, then your engine is charging the batteries.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #3

Just put a new battery in a couple of hours ago. I don't think it's the only problem. I know the converter is putting out voltage but not sure if it's charging or the engine is charging. Old battery was weak.

Generator still will not turn over. Should the cable to the generator go thru the selonoid at the battery or directly to the battery
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It might help if you would let us know which C you have.

My Cynara has the batteries under the steps and I have had problems with them not charging while driving. Thanks to a friend, I have a fix.

Inside my propane bay, which is next to the door, there are some selonoids that control battery issues. The bay is open on the bottom and those connections get wet if I drive on wet roads. Spraying them thoroughly with WD-40 fixes the problem.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here are some online RV electrical sites I have used.

Electrical Tutorial

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

RV Electric
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #6

In crayon, see my answers below next to your questions.

2000 Coachman / Ford

Battery under step selonoid by battery is this for system shutoff or emergency start? A solenoid in the battery box is normally the emerg. start, a charge solenoid (on / off, on / off) where the batteries are charging is a bad idea.

Selonoid under seat by converter ? Probably puts convertor on / off line.

Selonoid by generator Onan 4 k t start generator ?? The remote start solenoid.

Run / Store switch by door with light Takes house batteries out of circuit to prevent parasitic drain when not in use.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

In most cases if you go to the manufacturers website there's an archive of some sort where you can download all kinds of manuals for your rig. No charge, no waiting.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #7

Well I made major progress. Huge new battery , filled the gas tank and tried again.

Generator started sputtered and ran for 3 hours while I tried different combinations of things on off plugged in and unplugged. Started the engine and went thru it all forward and backwards and I think everything works. Have 2 new built in meters to install one for volts and amps and the other for just volts at eye level

Tags
electrical