Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our MH is wired and plumbed for a Slendide size washer/dryer but it appears the previous owner removed the unit. Tried to talk DW into getting one but like everyone else she does not want to give up the space.

We RV all winter, almost 6 months and have the CG laundry down. If we find ourselves awake at 5am and have laundry, off we go. Then we use every washer and dryer in the place if needed and get it all done at once then go have breakfast. At night if the Tiki bar has a band we aren't thrilled with it is laundry night with a cooler full of adult beverages.

I think for the price of one of the small washers we can buy a bunch of quarters and do laundry for a long time.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Our Splendide was down last week...one trip to a laundromat was enough to get me up and at 'em. Pulled it out, repaired, back in business. Two happy people...one happier than the other for sure! We do uniforms all summer, no wrinkles when done correctly. Would not trade it for the space...ever! JMHO

Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
X2 We have a Splendide and wouldn't give it up for anything. We use it nearly everyday. Contrary to what has been posted, if used properly clothes don't come out wrinkled and don't need to be hung up afterwards to dry."
EXACTLY why we decided against installing one. We can go a week and a half without having to think about laundry. The extra closet space holds a lot of clothes! Also, since a washer/dryer costs around $1000, we can go to a Laundromat about 150 times before we spend that.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
EXACTLY why we decided against installing one. We can go a week and a half without having to think about laundry. The extra closet space holds a lot of clothes! Also, since a washer/dryer costs around $1000, we can go to a Laundromat about 150 times before we spend that.
It's all in how you look at it. We don't need nearly as many clothes because we wash frequently. We don't need much of a hamper because we never have many dirty clothes. That's particularly nice in the summer when clothes tend to get "funky". As for doing a wash almost everyday, it's not a big deal with a combo unit since you put dirty clothes in and take out clean dry ones without having to do anything.

I'm not trying to convince you since you have made your decision, but for those considering whether or not to buy a washer/dryer, different people can come to different conclusions as to what is right for them.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #19

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the washer/Dryer and if you go by directions works wonderful.I hate going to the laundry room,especially at State parks cause most the time you fight bugs and do laundry at the same time.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #20

Came across a guy that had a large cooler fixed to rear of RV , he put laundry in and added detergent and water , then drove an hour , drained and refilled with clean water.
Removed clean clothes when he parked for night .
Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I had one when I lived in Italy and it worked great. Except the one time something red got mixed with the whites and DH had pink undershirts. I would have another one.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #22

tried the splendide last night for the first time to make sure it worked before leaving lazy days. I was quite impressed and all the clothes were clean and dry as a bone. What a hoot ; no more hot buggy laundries , how decadent!!!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we bought our house on wheels we considered a washer/dryer. Opted for the cubbord space instead.

Cost of washer/dryer roughly equals what we will spend at laundromat over the expected life of the appliance and we really need the cubbord space.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #24

Have a Splendid and dearly love it. Yes it does smallish loads. But so what? Start a load in the morning and go away. Come back a few hours later, take the clothes out and put them away. As long as you do not overload the machine there is no more wrinkles than a home machine. No sitting in some dank laundromat for hours on end waiting for the clothes to get done.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Have a Splendid and dearly love it. Yes it does smallish loads. But so what? Start a load in the morning and go away. Come back a few hours later, take the clothes out and put them away.
Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
As long as you do not overload the machine there is no more wrinkles than a home machine. No sitting in some dank laundromat for hours on end waiting for the clothes to get done.
So this thread doesn't mislead any newbies here, not all laundromats are "dank." In fact very few are. They are well ventilated these days. And there is no reason to sit in any laundromat for hours on end. I have never even heard of anyone's laundry being stolen in a CG laundromat.

We put the laundry in the machines and return to our RV to do whatever it is to do. Cook. Watch TV. Clean the RV. Make beds etc. until it's time to put the laundry in the dryer or hang on our line. I like clothes and bedding air dried. If in the dryer, we have plenty to do until it's dry. We then go back for it. Sometimes, by choice, I would sit there and socialize with other campers or snow-birds as the case may be. Doing laundry at the CG/Resort laundromat isn't like it was 30 or more years ago, before A/C.

We do laundry once a week when away from home. I wouldn't want to bother with small loads every day or every other day.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmap View Post
We have the washer/Dryer and if you go by directions works wonderful.I hate going to the laundry room,especially at State parks cause most the time you fight bugs and do laundry at the same time.
Unless you have a screen room with a floor, you'll fight bugs soon after you step foot outside your MH to enjoy some fresh air.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
tried the splendide last night for the first time to make sure it worked before leaving lazy days. I was quite impressed and all the clothes were clean and dry as a bone. What a hoot ; no more hot buggy laundries , how decadent!!!!!
I'm reading this thread an wondering what kind of places have "buggy" and /or dank laundromats. Where are you people finding such places to camp? We don't choose the most expensive Resorts and private CGs and only once in 5 years of travel and camping have I used a buggy dank laundromat. And I certainly didn't sit there for hours on end as someone else posted. There is no law anyone has to sit in the laundromat waiting for their laundry to get done. That was a very old, very rustic CG in the mountains of NY state. I went back to my RV and waited for it to finish. But guess what? There were plenty of bugs OUTSIDE the laundromat. I may have spent a whole 10 minutes inside the place loading and unloading the machines.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Washing the clothes

Thanks everyone for the very useful information, but I have decided to hit the creek and use the rocks to get the job done But when the quarters are plenty, I will buy a spendite (sp). In the meantime, I will use a laundramat at Wally's world. This is 29 footer so I should find room.

Off topic, but I plan to drive two thousand miles soon, therefore, what would be a comfortable daily mileage plan. 'am a newbie and do not want to fall asleep at the wheel......Yikes?

Thanks again for the washing and other info.

James

PS: The new paint job with a new design will be finished and this coach willl be ready for pickup next week. I am excited