Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Water and waste tanks.

Hello everyone, As a new at this C class owner, I have a few questions on the clean water holding tank and the waste tank.

I bought a used 2004 24' C class Itasca Spirit last week. All tanks are empty as of now. I will be taking it to Massachusetts ( Yes I had to look up the spelling (: ) leaving on the 12th. My neighbor told me I should keep some water in the 40 gallon clean water tank even when not in use to keep the seals or whatever moist. Is that true?

The other question is on the waste tank. Like I stated I am leaving in 8 days. Should I go ahead and put a few gallons of water in the waste tank and then put in the chemicals that break down the waste so as to start the process? or wait till the day before I leave? I am sure these are silly questions but I no very little. Thanks, Ben.

Blackstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Welcome aboard
I don't know if proven but I would always leave fluid (water in summer and rv antifreeze in winter) in the system to keep seals, pump membrane e.t.c. lubricated.
A gal. or so in the black tank and a 1/2 - 1 cup of dish soap now will do the trick, no need to waste money on fancy chemicals and no need to wait.

2013 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch,2014 Trilogy 3650 RL, 8000# axles, disk brakes, I.S., 960 Watt Solar
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Ditto the above comments.

I don't know of anyone who leaves the black tank full long enough for those chemicals to do their magic! Blech!
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
I would sanitize and flush the fresh water tank. 1/2 cup of bleach (pour it in the hose then hook up to tank) fill the tank and let it set overnight, run most of that water through the faucets into the grey water tank to freshen it up
Then drain both tanks refill the fresh water tank and drain this will make sure your tank is sanitary and safe to use. We always travel with water In the fresh tank to use while traveling. Always keep liquid in the black water tank after emptying flush the tank until it is clean then add a couple gallons of water to keep things from drying out add chemicals any time you like or according to the manufacturer directions.

Avoid running bleach water into your water heater using your bypass valves. Make sure your water heater is full of water before you turn it on if it has electric heater it will burn the element out faster than you can turn it off if it is empty.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote

tank, water