Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #1

Water Fill on new Leprechaun

Looking for some ideas on how to deal with two issues my new Leprechaun fresh water fill poses. I am used to and happy with ones you stick the hose in. The Leprechaun has one screwed connection for both city water and tank fill, with a valve to direct the flow.

The first problem is adding bleach. I have well water so need to add bleach whenever filling the tank at home. I thought I could make up a fill connection funnel to a short hose but the water does not flow into the tank (yes, the valve is in the right position). Ideas?

The second is that many of the fill locations I use do not have threaded hose connnections. Ideas for that?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 01:12 AM   #2

First issue...bleach

Pour it into end of hose...connect hose to city inlet.....swap to FILL ...turn on water supply

Second issue.....
If what you mean by '''do not have threaded hose connection''' is the spigot/hose bibb is not threaded so a hose can be connected then get a 'water thief'

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

I had trouble adding bleach via the "add it to the hose before hooking up" method, as it kept spilling out before I could connect the hose. Gravity filling through a short hose wasn't great either.

I'll be looking for a hand pump that has a garden hose connection for my next tank sanitization.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #4

Put the amount of bleach you want in an empty winterizer bottle and connect the hose you use to suck it into the tank with your pump. Take it off connect your hose and your all set to fill the tank.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoctor View Post
I had trouble adding bleach via the "add it to the hose before hooking up" method, as it kept spilling out before I could connect the hose. Gravity filling through a short hose wasn't great either.

I'll be looking for a hand pump that has a garden hose connection for my next tank sanitization.
Add it to the other end..before connecting to hose bibb
Old 08-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
First issue...bleach

Pour it into end of hose...connect hose to city inlet.....swap to FILL ...turn on water supply

Second issue.....
If what you mean by '''do not have threaded hose connection''' is the spigot/hose bibb is not threaded so a hose can be connected then get a 'water thief'
First thought a good one. I was thinking I'd need a drill pump but since I dilute it in only a quart that will work.

On the second I found I had one in my old trailer that I was cleaning out! I had gotten it for a different purpose...the campgrounds that file off the threads on the distributed spigots so people can't connect hoses to them. But looking inside it appears it should work for the fill stations that don't have threaded connectors. I'll make up a foot long hose because most of those fill nozzles are bent such that I'm not sure you could get it in to where the adapter is small enough to seal. I hope it won't spray all over.

What a stupid design!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:

First thing I tried was gravity filling with a funnel on a short hose. It doesn't flow at all!

But I think adding to the long hose could work. You'd hold up both ends when filling and then first connect to the motorhome so it doesn't spill out when you connect to the spigot.

I'll try it next week. I left the motorhome up at my son's property this week. It is dead center of the totality line...so I'll be back there for Monday! Probaby hang out till Tuesday to avoid traffic coming home.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjfish33 View Post
Put the amount of bleach you want in an empty winterizer bottle and connect the hose you use to suck it into the tank with your pump. Take it off connect your hose and your all set to fill the tank.
What is a "winterizer bottle"?

What do mean by "suck it into the tank with your pump"? Running the motorhome pump won't suck anything into the tank because the tank is vented.

PS: Which is why I don't understand why gravity fill didn't work.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
PS: Which is why I don't understand why gravity fill didn't work.
There is is a pressure activated valve in the inlet that needs incoming pressure to force wster by.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #10

Quote:

I found a bunch of drill pumps for about $10 on Amazon. They'd work with a cordless drill. You need to pre-mix in a bucket to draw from. I can do that at home but don't like to have to bring extra stuff. I mostly just put the bleach in when I fill at home anyway. We live on a well so our water isn't chlorinated. If I don't add bleach the water gets stinky in a week or so.

Plus I do sanitize after I've left the system drained a while. I need to winterize several times each year. Which leads to another Leprechaun frustration: what idiot thought it sensible to put drain valves and bypass behind screwed panels?(Probably the guy who designed the ridiculous fill approach and thought the black water tank clean connection needed the white hose connector....)

Anyhow, I was hoping for simpler solutions. The hose idea seems to be the ticket. Can't wait to try it!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There is is a pressure activated valve in the inlet that needs incoming pressure to force wster by.
That explains why it doesn't gravity fill.

Why in heck would they do such a thing? (Evidently the idiot Leprechaun water system designer is unstoppable!)

I'll see if I can remove it when I get back to the motorhome. That might also help keep it from spraying back when I use the water thief to fill from an unthreaded spigot.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Water Fill on new Leprechaun

Do not remove the pressure activated valve!
It keeps the fill line sealed so your water pump shuts off when you are using the FW tank. Without it the on board water pump would keep running because the water system would not pressurize.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #13

Use a water filter remove filter fill with bleach connect between hose and camper turn on water vola bleach goes in tank with water.Buy external water filter from camp on or anywhere
Old 08-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
That explains why it doesn't gravity fill.

Why in heck would they do such a thing? (Evidently the idiot Leprechaun water system designer is unstoppable!)

I'll see if I can remove it when I get back to the motorhome. That might also help keep it from spraying back when I use the water thief to fill from an unthreaded spigot.
Check valve inside the city water connection........stops water from leaking out when using on-board pump'
Check valve inside pump ...stops water from flowing back thru oump when using city water connection

City water and pump discharge feed SAME RV plumbing lines.
Not 2 separate systems...tied togther

Basic RV Plumbing System

Tags
water