Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #1

Water heater problem

I have a 98 Dutchman class c with an Atwood gas electric ignite system. I was having problems with it lighting and then going off immediately. I changed out the circuit board and now it lights and stays lit but I only get a burst of hot water and then it is cool to tepid with some intermittent warm. Anyone know whats up? Thanks Blain

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Sounds like the thermostat. Look out at the tank on the side for the thermo and check the connections. If it is staying on with flame you may not have water in the tank. Have you used the unit since winterizing? If it is bypassing the hot water tank you will still have cold out the hot side and the spurt of hot you are talking about would come form the heat at the bottom of the tank fitting.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #3

In addition to trackman's list , if you have an outside shower make sure the taps are turned off and not just the shower head, cross flow there = cool water every where.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman
Sounds like the thermostat. Look out at the tank on the side for the thermo and check the connections. If it is staying on with flame you may not have water in the tank. Have you used the unit since winterizing? If it is bypassing the hot water tank you will still have cold out the hot side and the spurt of hot you are talking about would come form the heat at the bottom of the tank fitting.
We have been using it all summer. I will check thermo. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
In addition to trackman's list , if you have an outside shower make sure the taps are turned off and not just the shower head, cross flow there = cool water every where.
Thanks, I will check that also.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

Hay that's exactly what our problem is. I was going to try flushing the tank because I have no idea when it was last done if at all. But I will def check the thermo. Please post your findings blaincarolrv i'd appreciate it.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When an Attwood starts acting up, the first thing to do is open the outer door and clean all connections. To diagnose proceed this way:

The brown wire is the main power wire, it goes to the tstat first. If this tstat is cool enough, the 12v is passed through the tstat to the controller board via another brown wire. If all is well at the controller, it passes the 12v via a red wire to the high temp tstat (ECO). If it isn't hot enough, it passes 12v to the gas valve. If all is well the gas valve will open and the controller will start the ignitor. If ignition is successful, it will heat until the ECO tstat reaches it's programed max temp. Then it cuts off 12v and shuts the system down. Then if the HWH switch is still in the on position and the tstat cools emough, the process starts over. With a volt meter in hand, it's easy to figure out where the problem lies.

The most common problem is corrosion at connections. Then bad high and low tstats. Then it's a toss up between insect nests in or around the ignitor, bad controller, iginitor, gas valve and/or the orifice being blocked.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaincarolrv
I have a 98 Dutchman class c with an Atwood gas electric ignite system. I was having problems with it lighting and then going off immediately. I changed out the circuit board and now it lights and stays lit but I only get a burst of hot water and then it is cool to tepid with some intermittent warm. Anyone know whats up? Thanks Blain
Thanks for the help everyone. It was the cut-off valves, I hate to admit it but I didn't even know where they were or if I had them. The other strange thing is we used it four years with warm enough water to shower with only hot on. I had my wife test the water while I messed with the valves. Super hot water now.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #9

Thanks to the poster with the suggestion to check outside shower. That was the cause of my fluctuation from hot to cold.

Tags
heater, water