Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #1

Water in Cab Over Bed

I'm looking for some insights here from you fine folks.

Last week we camped in our 18' Winnebago 22R. Friday we found standing water on the floor of over cab bunk. Quite a bit of water.

It was not spilled or from vent. I figured something on the roof or front cap was to blame.

When I got home my son pressurized the coach and sprayed super foaming soapy water all over, no leaks. We had enough pressure it took a little extra effort to close the coach door.

I noticed if I lifted the skirt panel just above the bunk floor it really wet behind there.

So l closed all the ac vents and turned on the ac and could feel air coming out from underneath the skirt panel, as it is a continuation of the ceiling.

Here's what I think happened, the coach was low in the front all week, not a good campsite, and because the nose was too low, the ac leaked inside and ran down the vents, the low spot being the front of the upper bunk.

I plan to run the ac with the skirt panel lifted , again you can feel the air coming out, and dry the inside of the ceiling, and promise to never camp with the nose low.

Whatcha think?
Joe I is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Did it rain while you were using the RV? If not, it could be condensation from the A/C. I'd check the pan under the evaporator that collects that condensation and usually leads it out to a hose or drain onto the roof.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:36 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
There shouldn't be any way a properly installed AC can leak inside, even if there's a lot of condensation. With a one year old coach, I'd be all over the dealer to make sure everything is right. Water in the cab-over is a major issue on type C RVs, and needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later.
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:46 AM   #4

I just dealt with water in my overhead cab. It was a nightmare to figure out. However, glad to report after two trips the RV is leak-free. The nightmare part is finding the source of the leak. The right hand corner of the bunk was completely wet and was more than just a casual drip of water. The RV mechanic had to reseal several areas, even areas that looked liked they were sealed.

*Important - Sometimes even a pressure/water test is not all that reliable. My RV mechanic did to separate, pretty aggressive water tests while jacking up my rig at different angles. He STILL COULD NOT FIND THE LEAK. Moreover, water didn't seem to come when he did the water test. Despite this, I still found water in it after the first visit to the mechanic. I felt like I paid for nothing after the first visit. It took another visit and whatever he sealed was effective. He seemed surprised, actually.

My point here - most people in the RV industry will acknowledged how tough it is to find the source of a water leak. Do what you can in the meantime to dry out the coach and avoid growth of mildew or mold.
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:03 AM   #5

You most likely have a roof leak in the front corner. Check the sealant in the corners and around your clearance lights and the lights themselves for signs of condensation. Look outside under the cab over where the face of the cab over is joined to the underside of the cab. See if any brown stains are in that area. Inside, look very closely at the ceiling sidewall joint. Look for the brown juice. Wait until you have a hard rain, then take a facial tissue and push it against the ceiling sidewall joint. Check for any sign of moisture. If you still can't find the water source, sell it.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #7

Update; I bought a non-invasive moisture meter to see is anything behind any panels were wet. It seems our method for drying worked. No moisture after drying it out.

The water I mopped up was clean. Which sounds like condensate.

Still under warranty. I called a reputable dealer and made an appointment to find out what they can see.

We drove up to the campground in a lot of rain, and it rained a little while we were there.

Our homemade pressurizer worked pretty well. I think we might do that to all our campers periodically, just to be sure.

Again thanks for the responses.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe I View Post

Our homemade pressurizer worked pretty well. I think we might do that to .
I'd love to see or have you describe your pressurizer.
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Update; I bought a non-invasive moisture meter to see is anything behind any panels were wet. It seems our method for drying worked. No moisture after drying it out.

The water I mopped up was clean. Which sounds like condensate.

Still under warranty. I called a reputable dealer and made an appointment to find out what they can see.

We drove up to the campground in a lot of rain, and it rained a little while we were there.

Our homemade pressurizer worked pretty well. I think we might do that to all our campers periodically, just to be sure.

Again thanks for the responses.
Rainwater is pretty clean, not sure why you think it has to be condensation. Class C cabover areas are notorious for leaking, especially driving in heavy rain. While your static test with the interior pressurized can reveal many leaks, I think it didn't find yours. Keep an I on it, it can cause great damage if not repaired, and make sure you have warranty write-up on the leak.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm looking for some insights here from you fine folks.

Last week we camped in our 18' Winnebago 22R. Friday we found standing water on the floor of over cab bunk. Quite a bit of water.

It was not spilled or from vent. I figured something on the roof or front cap was to blame.

When I got home my son pressurized the coach and sprayed super foaming soapy water all over, no leaks. We had enough pressure it took a little extra effort to close the coach door.

I noticed if I lifted the skirt panel just above the bunk floor it really wet behind there.

So l closed all the ac vents and turned on the ac and could feel air coming out from underneath the skirt panel, as it is a continuation of the ceiling.

Here's what I think happened, the coach was low in the front all week, not a good campsite, and because the nose was too low, the ac leaked inside and ran down the vents, the low spot being the front of the upper bunk.

I plan to run the ac with the skirt panel lifted , again you can feel the air coming out, and dry the inside of the ceiling, and promise to never camp with the nose low.

Whatcha think?
Running Light fixtures, roof/ seams, Vents/ Lids, Windows? Buy a "Pinless Moisture Meter" GENERAL Brand (Lowes/ HD) $40+/-
Old 08-02-2018, 08:03 AM   #11

Yep , got one a couple days ago, it says everything has dried out.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
reseal or replace your clearance lights. They are leaking and just putting some caulking on the outside of the lenses will not work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9903.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	213577   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9861.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	213578  

Old 08-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #13

I have similar issue last year.Can you describe what home made pressurizer system you used check.
bill257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:17 AM   #14

We used cardboard and a powerful leaf blower, we set up a step ladder to tie the blower to, duct taped the blower to a hole in the cardboard and taped the card board to the passenger cab window, turned on the cab A/C on full fan, turned on the leaf blower wide open, then sprayed with soapy water.

As I said camper door wanted to stay open, there was a lot of pressure.

Tags
water