Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
water lines freezing

We are leaving from NS canada the end of Oct. for texas. The nightly temp could get down around 26. Has anyone had any experience with fall travelling and would I have frezzing problems at that temp. Also on our way we are spending the first week of Nov. in Branson Missouri at a campground I understand it can get cold in the nights there also.

freelander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
10' heat tape cord plugged into the 20am socket in your pedastal should solve the problem

biggerdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
as long as you are using the furnace. The pipes and water pump are protected by the furnace. The manufacturer runs a pipe from the furnace to the basement to supply heated air to these areas. You should not have a problem. You can just unhook the water hose when below freezing temps, and drain the water from the hose. To keep the hose from freezing.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by freelander07 View Post
We are leaving from NS canada the end of Oct. for texas. The nightly temp could get down around 26. Has anyone had any experience with fall travelling and would I have frezzing problems at that temp. Also on our way we are spending the first week of Nov. in Branson Missouri at a campground I understand it can get cold in the nights there also.
If you are so inclined, Camping World has a good sale on Pirit heated water hoses. We have the 25 foot model and it works great. We carry some bubble wrap to put around campground water hose and our water pressure regulator. We don't normally put water in RV tank and use it. On 5th wheels we have had, I have insulated access doors with Reflectx material.
I don't think Branson will have freezing temps in November.
USAF Retired
2012 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32CA
2012 Equinox LTZ, RVI Brake System
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
While a hose left outside at that temp would probably freeze up, I have never had anything freeze up in my rig, including water lines in the cargo bays.

In other terms, anything enclosed, no worry, and I do not run heat at night myself.

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Does anyone turn off water to rv then open low water drains and open faucets to keep lines from freezing? I live in Louisiana so it really does not get that cold during the winter. I used to use that method in an older house that I lived in years ago and was wondering if it would work for my rv.
RaisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I plan on running my furnace (set at 65 degrees) in my motorhome when it gets below freezing here in Kentucky. I am planning a trip to Florida in January and am hoping for descent weather before I head south. I am hoping this will do the trick since I have not winterized my rig. Does this sound right?
meffrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Speaking for the 3 motor homes and 1 5th wheel I had, in the 20's, I never had a problem with water lines in the camper freezing in 10 years living full time in Pennsylvania. Temps below 10 deg have caused a few indoor pipes to freeze unless I take precautions.
If my water hose was not heat trapped yet and temps were below 32 deg I either turned off and disconnected the water house and used the water pump or left the hose hooked up and let a trickle of water flow from a faucet.
In my experience not having water in the tank is asking for trouble. I can't tell how many times campgrounds have had power failures, pump failures, pipe leaks etc etc etc. We also keep a couple gallons of water in the camper 'just in case'.
Good luck.
2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G
1998 Jeep Cherokee. Ready Brute Elite tow bar and brake. Tow Mate wireless light bar.
Magumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never had a water line freeze, and have been at the sons house in N. IL, with temp at 6 and wind blowing 30mph, COLD,COLD. The basement is heated, so the tanks and pump are ok, all the water lines are in the living quarters of the C. Had a hose freeze one time in SD, but my excuse is I was not listening to the weather forecast, so I did not know it was going that low, also woke up to snow. So just went outside and turned off the water, unhooked the hose, brushed all the snow off the hose and took it inside and put into the bath tub and let it thaw whild I enjoyed my coffee, then just hooked it bach up. In a few hours it was to warn to freeze anymore. The brother in law had a water line freeze in a large storage compartment on his 5ver, the water line was up against a part of the metal frame work of the trailer. The metal piece was against the skin of the trailer, good transfer of cold. He pull the water line away from the metal about an inch and no more problem.
Branson probably won't freeze in Nov.
2003 Gulf Stream Cavalier, 29.5' V-10, most bells and whistles. Banks Power Pac System, Auto Mind, Tans Command.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Was just up at Brown County and the temps were down to 22 at nite. Not a problem.
Had our portable heater and the furnace stayed warm and toasty. Water lines did well no freezing.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been down in the 20's many times, With the frunace runnign, on my Class A, with enclosed tanks, no problems with inside lines. DO read the manual, they could be a bit more specific but if you know where your water lines are, you can open drawers and cabinets in those areas and improve survival chances.

I use electric heat most of the time, thus not the furnace, thus I have a string of C-9 Christmas tree lights (8-9 watts each) under the fresh tank and a 100 watt rough service "rouble light" in the black/gray end of the bay.

They are plugged into to a thermostatic outlet adapter. On at 35, off at 45 as I recall, do work.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote