Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #1

Water pump issue

Hi, I just replaced my water pump which was a real pain. Anyway, I have very low pressure now. Also takes a long time for the pressure to build up after turning the tap off. Pressure is good for about 10 seconds then slows and gurgles. There is an adjustment on the pump but I thought that was just for the cycle time. Any thoughts? If I want to adjust it I'll have to drain the system and remove the pump as it sits right at the tank and no space between. Does anyone know if this adjustment screw will help? I really don't want to have to remove the pump several times to readjust unless I'm sure this might be the fix. ALSO, the fill valve is in the correct position so no issue there. Thanks for any help. I won't be able to take a shower this way. I replaced the pump in preparation for a trip in 2 weeks.
n-jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Perhaps in changing the pump, you introduced air into the plumbing. Water won't compress, but air in the lines will, causing a slow build-up of water pressure. Try running all faucets until air comes out.

You didn't give make or model of the new pump, so I really can't advise on whether the screw should be adjusted or not. I suggest you either read the directions that came packed with the pump or look it up online and see if they have any instructions or troubleshooting.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:55 AM   #3

It's a sureflo. They all have the same adjustment screw. I'm going to try filling the tank all the way, 50 gallons, and run it for a while and see if that helps.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

You may have to bleed the water pump on the output side. On my MH, I occasionally have the same problem and somehow get an airlock that requires this.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #5

Also check the pump pre filter, they can get clogged.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:39 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Couple things I can think of:
1.) If you have a leak on the suction side of the pump it will suck air along with the water from the tank.
2.) The screw is for adjusting the water pressure shut off. You should probably never have to mess with it.

Your symptoms sound like #1. Make sure the connection on the suction side is secure and not pulling air.
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:57 AM   #7

It's definitely pulling in air. I think I have a leak at the filter where the screen is. Wonder if I lost the little rubber washer gasket that fits into the pump. I had forgotten it on the output side and had a small leak. At first I thought it was one of the rubber feet from the old pump. Wonder if I can find one at a hardware store.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #8

If you are close to a Harbor Freight, they sell a small box with many different sizes of O rings. They come in useful for all types of odds and ends. Much easier than trying to find a specific size at the hardware store.
notbusdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once you seal the connections up, try and put the adjustment screw in it's original position. It does nothing for flow, but controls pump pressure when pressure drops. Out of adjustment will cause cycling.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:45 PM   #10

Thanks all, I sealed up the suction side at the filter with a small washer and that did the trick
Old 08-11-2018, 12:45 AM   #11

I know the frustration of poor accessibility, I couldn’t even reach mine to clean the filter so I simply moved it to an outside cubby and now cleaning the filter takes 5 minutes.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #12

Probably the Pre-filter

I just bought a new Class C and the water was doing basically everything you described. It is probably the pre-filter. Mine was clogged with plastic shavings from the manufacturing process. Once I cleaned these out the pressure built quickly, stayed strong and the pump shut off immediately after the tap was shut.

Good Luck,

Scotty D
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump