Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 05:14 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Water questions

As I noted in another post I just purchased a 1993 Firan Telstar 27 1/2 ft Class C. It came with some or most of the manuals but as I noticed with my new TT the manuals sometimes are rather generic and don't go into a lot of detail.

For example, this unit was winterized when it was put up 2 1/2 years ago so I will need to de-winterize and go through all of my checks. On my new (2016) TT the low point drains are clearly marked which made the job pretty easy. On this MH I can't find low point drains anywhere. The manual says that low point drains are (or can be) inside compartments or outside the unit and will be marked. The previous owner had noted a question mark (?) right next to the paragraph that stated this so I am guessing that they had trouble finding anything either. So, in lieu of finding low point drains, what is the recommended method for flushing the system?

Also the TT has a flush system for the black tank where a hose is hooked up to an inlet and it makes it easy to keep the tank fairly clean, for lack of a better term. This unit does not seem to have this so how does one thoroughly flush the black tank if it does not have this set-up?

These are probably pretty basic questions and I actually used to have TTs back in the 80's so I have done this but...can't remember yesterday let alone 30 years ago.

Thanks gang.
mikemc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc53 View Post
the TT has a flush system for the black tank where a hose is hooked up to an inlet and it makes it easy to keep the tank fairly clean, for lack of a better term. This unit does not seem to have this so how does one thoroughly flush the black tank if it does not have this set-up?
mikemc53
If it has a flush system for the black tank use it.

If it doesn't don't worry about it....(today's black tanks don't need to be "flushed fairly clean" any more than the ones in the 80's did).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

If I did not have a low point drain, I would create one. Then with the low point drains open, I'd blow out the lines with low air pressure. Open all the water valves inside to allow any water in the lines to drain. Then I'd briefly turn on water from the source: pump/hose flushing the main lines. I would also drain the fresh water tank, and rinse it well. Then I would add fresh water to the tank and allow that water to flow to each water valve including the toilet and until the water became normal in color and the bubbles cleared. (RV antifreeze in water creates bubbles at the faucet). I can smell the water to see if the rv antifreeze is gone.

For the Black Tank, You can always run a hose down the toilet, if you have no other options. I use a PVC pipe with a 90 on one end and a hose fitting on the other. Be careful not to drop any parts down the toilet.

Tags
water