Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #1

Water tank leak/drip - is this a problem?

My family and I are renting an RV for 6 weeks for a trip to the western USA. We have zero RV experience, although I have done as much research as I can. The rental unit is a brand new 2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 280SS. I picked up the RV yesterday and we have 7 days before we leave on the trip.

I have noticed a slow leak/drip (1 drip every few seconds) from underneath the coach toward the front of the coach near the coach entrance door. This leak presents whenever there is pressure in the system, from either the water pump or city water. Without pressure the drip eventually stops (after a few hours)

When I got the coach the water tank read 2/3 full and the drip was present (with water pump on). Wanting to test the water tank, I filled up the tank until the water started overflowing at the BACK of the coach. This drip is near the front of the coach.

I've talked to the rental place and they said it was probably overflow and I shouldn't worry about it. What I don't understand is that the overflow was at the back, not the front where this drip is.

Should I be concerned?
joelshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #2

If they aren't concerned about it, then make a note of who you spoke to, and get it in writing if possible, so they can't say any damage from the drip was your fault, when you return the rental.

If you've got access to a creeper or a big sturdy piece of cardboard, you might want to have a look underneath and trace the location of the drip, and see if it relates to a burst water line feeding the galley or something like that. It could be a winterization failure. It could be sweat running off the A/C unit if it's far enough forward towards the engine compartment. Could be a lot of things.

I'd be curious enough to try to figure it out.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #3

Of course it is probably not over flow, according to the symptoms you reported. The dealer's response is not unexpected. They are often experts at minimizing or deflecting entirely.

Water damage is serious in the long term. Yours is a rental so not as important to you. On the other hand 6 weeks is a long time and it could get worse from time and driving.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
If they aren't concerned about it, then make a note of who you spoke to, and get it in writing if possible, so they can't say any damage from the drip was your fault, when you return the rental.

If you've got access to a creeper or a big sturdy piece of cardboard, you might want to have a look underneath and trace the location of the drip, and see if it relates to a burst water line feeding the galley or something like that. It could be a winterization failure. It could be sweat running off the A/C unit if it's far enough forward towards the engine compartment. Could be a lot of things.

I'd be curious enough to try to figure it out.
I've looked underneath and the drip itself is coming from an area close to the side of the coach. There are several hoses and some sort of insulation where the drip is coming from. Of course the source of the drip might be in a completely different place. I don't see anything inside the coach.

Water pressure inside the coach is fine.

The AC hasn't been run yet.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelshort View Post
I've looked underneath and the drip itself is coming from an area close to the side of the coach. There are several hoses and some sort of insulation where the drip is coming from. Of course the source of the drip might be in a completely different place. I don't see anything inside the coach.

Water pressure inside the coach is fine.

The AC hasn't been run yet.
I missed the "only drips when the system is pressurized" part of your post. A/C is not your culprit.

If it's near plumbing lines, and they can only be accessed from inside the coach, have a look inside at the area where they might terminate, and see if any of the PEX/fittings/elbows are loose. I had a leak at a fitting where the upper exit line connected to the 6 gallon propane water heater - came like that from the factory. Stuff like that gets missed sometimes. I was able to reach under the sink, and hand tighten it. It was actually located behind some drawers under the stove top. Awkward, but just reachable from under the sink. Solved.
If the water pump is located near the source of the drip, it could be one of the fittings on it, or the screen trap (usually a transparent plastic cup/cap) might be loose. Maybe the rubber gasket/seal on it is missing.

EDIT: If the water heater is a 6 gallon, and it's located near the source of the drip check the pressure relief valve, inside the access door to the water heater on the outside of the motorhome, near the top of the unit, and see if it's closed. If it's not closed, it could leak under pressure from the water pump.

It could be lots of things.
Keep looking, you'll find it.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #6

Just to update this thread 2 days later...
I did another pressure test and this time the leak was much worse and there is a hissing sound like water spraying from a hose underneath the sink. It is clear to me now that one of the water lines going to the sink has either burst or a fitting isn't tight. When there's pressure in the system it sprays water all over a bunch of electrical lines in the same area.
Obviously I'm taking it back to the rental place for repair. Thankfully this should be taken care of the day before we leave on a trip. Still, this stinks at any time, but especially since this is a brand new RV.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #7

Most RV plumbing fittings can be hand tightened. If you can find the fitting that's loose/leaking, try giving it a twist to the right (tight to the right, loose to the left) at the point where it connects to whatever it connects to.
If not possible to fix yourself, get it back to the rental place.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Most RV plumbing fittings can be hand tightened. If you can find the fitting that's loose/leaking, try giving it a twist to the right (tight to the right, loose to the left) at the point where it connects to whatever it connects to.
If not possible to fix yourself, get it back to the rental place.
I know exactly where the leak is, but I can't get to it easily. It's underneath the sink behind a thin panel that is nailed on, not screwed on, so I can't easily remove the panel. If I owned the RV I'd take the panel off myself and I could probably easily fix it.

The reason I think it might be the actual hose and not a fitting is because I can see where the hose comes up from the floor and I can see the other end of the hose where it connects to the sink lines. The leak is somewhere in the 1.5ft of hose between those two ends. I don't know why there would be a fitting there.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #9

Might be a burst line/winterization fail, possibly from the factory, which I speculated earlier on in this thread.
Get it back to the rental co.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:51 AM   #10

If the rental place did not supply you with a pressure control for your water hose, purchase one. If the city water is above 40 PSI you can burst the Pec hoses in your water supply system.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh2obury View Post
If the rental place did not supply you with a pressure control for your water hose, purchase one. If the city water is above 40 PSI you can burst the Pec hoses in your water supply system.
40 PSI ?
Most RV water pumps shut off at 55 PSI.

PEX pipe has a 160 PSI rating.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #12

The leak was due to a paneling staple that punctured the water line at the factory. It was repaired and we went on our 6 week trip without issue.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelshort View Post
The leak was due to a paneling staple that punctured the water line at the factory. It was repaired and we went on our 6 week trip without issue.

Yep.....
They'll gve a staple gun to just about anybody..turn them loose and let the staples fly.

Kudos to you for being so proactive in checking that renatla out, finding and issue and getting it dealt with.

Thanks for the update and out come.
AND hope MEMORIES were made on your trip
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
40 PSI ?
Most RV water pumps shut off at 55 PSI.

PEX pipe has a 160 PSI rating.

You of course are assuming that the installer did a good job on the PEX. Higher thePSI the quicker your fixtures will fail just like in a stick built home.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, problem, tank, water