Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Water woes - LONG POST - all advice welcome

I have a 2006 Coachmen Class C. The graphics were faded beyond repair so I decided to strip them and re-paint the fiberglass body. I had the one side completely removed (not fun) and when I got to the back corner I noticed the corner trim pulling away on the bottom. I removed the trim and started to find wet wood. It appears to have come in from the rear tail light. So I replaced the back bottom with pressure treated plywood 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch to equal the 1.25 inch thickness. Overkill and a bit heavy but it wont rot and it was a perfect fit . I plan to put a thin aluminum diamond plate to finish it. So far so good -- BUT I also pulled off the bottom molding "L" strips off the rest of the MH body all the way around and I am finding water or wet luan under the plastic woven membrane that is tucked under the bottom trim piece. Various places and varying degrees of wet: behind the cab on the driver side (will have to replace wood here also), back corner driver side, by the MH door, and passenger side back side - rather random to think it all came in from a bad tail light. Roof looks great, cab over looks good (thank goodness). I wonder if the water just came in from the trim screws that go up into an aluminum tubing frame? I have cut away the woven plastic so everything can dry out but here is the question: Do I just let it all dry out and seal it all back up (with spray glue for the luan, eternabond and or a sealant?). Or do I leave it open to monitor if it stays dry (don't drive in rain?) or leave drain holes or vents somewhere? Other ideas/ thoughts? Any and all advice or similar stories/repairs welcome. Attached are also some pics that show the situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130025.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	41891   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130026.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	41892  

Name:	P1130036.jpg
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	41893   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130034.jpg
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	41895  

Name:	P1130033.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	41896  

bfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't really know what to tell you but I can relay a problem I had that was hard to find. We had purchased a new HitchHiker fifth wheel and enjoyed it for three years before noticing the floor at the entrance door was getting spongy. As I started removing trim and covers I ran into the same thing you are seeing. Wet wood. After considerable searching I discovered the water heater was just barely seeping water from a plastic connection from a water line. A little more looking showed the other line was seeping also. Understand this was not easy to get or see but a flashlight showed me there had been no sealant of any kind used on the threads. I called the local dealer where I purchased the unit and was told it is out of warranty but he would call the factory and explain the situation. To their credit I had to take it to the factory but they repaired the damage, fixed the water lines and replaced the floor covering under warranty. My point is this small leak three years to get the floor that wet. Of course it didn't leak except under pressure. If I were you I would be looking for water line connection leak. Sorry I could be of no more help.
2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD, Roadmaster Chassis, 8.3 Cummins, 2013 Honda CRV with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and SMI brake system
Alan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote