Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #15

That is about what I do, I use the Turtle Wax spray, Spray a section while still wet and then wipe it off, works pretty good and does not take long, I have a 2011 31 ft Chateau, wash and wax it in less than an hour.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Bull crap on getting better mileage because it is waxed good, Mythbusters proved that wrong.
Yeah, and just like the internet, everything they say on TV is gospel.

A friend washed, then de-oxidized, then polished his airplane (I know, a slightly different beast) and his cruise speed increased from 128mph to 135mph (5.2% increase) and his fuel consumption went down by 0.2 gallons per hour (about 1.8% decrease even with a 5.2% speed increase).

You can't underestimate aerodynamics, after all wind resistance is a parasitic loss like anything else. If you can get a measurable increase just changing tires, reducing wind resistance is sure to get you a gain too.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are you driving your RV at same speeds as an airplane? Wax that billboard all you want, won't make a big difference at all. I never stated everything on t.v. is true either, but who needs t.v. when we got you. Roll eyes.....
Old 09-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Are you driving your RV at same speeds as an airplane?
Yes, as a matter of fact, I spend a lot of time flying at 65-70mph.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Then you would get better mileage by slowing down vs. Same speed and waxing your rig.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #20

I leave my awning out. The cars next to me get upset but I get better lift. Lol
Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use Dry Wash N Guard and have for years. Water beads up and runs off, I use it on the windows too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another vote for RejeX. They also have cleaners for sale on their site.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
To wax or not to wax...
I am lazy to a fault and as such I like to wax while sitting down. What I did was to buy a pair of identical ladders then I got an 8 foot 2 by 10. I used the rungs of the ladder and had a makeshift scaffold. This allowed me to get to the top part while sitting down and it even offered a stable place to set my cold drink.

Just make sure you change your application cloth every ten feet or so. The wax will remove dirt that your washing left behind and may become somewhat abrasive if you use it too long.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tiffin Allegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
Depends on what you have and the age. Is is full paint, striping and fiberglass, etc. On full paint, I would use some of the newer synthetic polymer waxes that do not have carnaba in them. Aerospace 303 is good on plastic, rubber, tires, fiberglass, fiberglass roof, etc. If your RV is older and has oxidized some, then stuff like Rejex may be needed. You can check with manufacturer of your RV or your literature to see what they recommend.
Hello Air Force Retired,
Just checking to see how you like you MH. We considered the exact unit prior to our buy. May become my next purchase.

Dutch
Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger

Hello Air Force Retired,
Just checking to see how you like you MH. We considered the exact unit prior to our buy. May become my next purchase.

Dutch
We love it. We are making our sixth weekend run since buying it in June. Have had no problems with it so far. Had a lot of compliments on it because of the full body paint. Still getting used to the 8-9 MPG which hope it will get a little better after the motor gets broke in more.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Why do all the work.. I pick up about 1-2 MPG when I wax the beast. That is a significant amount on an 8mpg Average house. (2 was the first wax job) .
Thats funny.

These RV's have the aerodynamic properties of a brick.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
holy amatuer wax/detail recommendations...lol.

you dont just slap wax on a vehicle. A good cleaning/wax job is a foundation for future cleanings/maintenance. Slop wax on top of dirt/debris your rig will look like garbage like 90% of the rigs out there.

Amen! especially if it's badly faded. Is this a painted or gel-coat finish? if it's paint, and is faded a bit, get a mild polish, like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Then follow up with a wax of your choice....paste waxes work good, carnuba won't hurt, or a synthetic wax like Amour All Extreme Shield.

If the paint isn't too bad, a cleaner wax will work (which has a mind polish to remove oxidization), such as Mother's Cleaner Wax.

Finally, get yourself a circular buffer (not random orbital, those are useless) and resist the urge to go over 2000RPMs, otherwise you'll burn the paint. If you're on a budget, get a Mothers Power ball and hook it on your drill. Some power balls actually come with a free bottle of Synthetic wax.

This process will take a weekend.

If it's fiberglass gelcoat, and is very chaulky.....then you have some work on your hands my friend. I'm still trying to figure out how to make my own look perfect. Right now, I just have it looking "good".

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote