Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Waxing our RV

New RV owner here. I know we should apply wax to the outside of our motorhome occasionally (twice a year?). I don't suppose that the wax cycle at the automatic car wash is sufficient. I'm imagining having to use step ladders and spend hours waxing by hand. What is the best way to keep our RV waxed? What kind of wax is recommended and how should it be applied?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

The front end needs waxing after each trip. Sides twice a year. Your favorite wax and yes ladder and hands on. Hope you have a great time. I enlist the Grandkids but do not let them know in advance when I plan to do it.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best way is to hire someone to do the job.

Second best could be 100% 303 Protectant, by you and your ladder.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #4

How often do you wax your car? Your RV should be waxed at least that often.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #5

If everything is in good order you should be able to use something like Protect All spray on wipe off type of product. Does not take a lot of time or effort. 303 protectants is also a good thing to use. Car wash waxes are just a way to extract more money from you.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #6

Waxers beware I was camping labor day weekend and a professional detailer ask if I wanted my RV waxed he said $2.00 a foot. Well I thought that's cheap for a hand wax.I told him I did not want to put things up to wash it first, he replied it's a waterless wash and wax I replied not on my black and grey RV. So he went on and did the one beside me I watch him make his concoction of synthetic wax,bug cleaner,and quick wax dumped into a spray bottle. I guess you do get what you pay for.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Rejex 'd the entire coach the last week on a ladder by hand after hand washing with dawn to remove the old wax and detailing every tar spot, sap spot, smuge and scratch (with Gel-Gloss RV polish and wax) the entire unit first. Did the fiberglass roof with 303 aerospace protectant. Even did the inside of the bay doors and windshield with Rejex. Muscles feel spent but the brain feels great. DW helped with the gofer work to minimize the trips up the ladder. We are able to store the coach inside at home so the weather was not a factor. During the process found 2 loose items that wouldn't have found otherwise and saved loosing a rear radiator cover fin held on with 1 of 5 rivets. There is no better feeling than doing it yourself.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllecr View Post
New RV owner here. I know we should apply wax to the outside of our motorhome occasionally (twice a year?). I don't suppose that the wax cycle at the automatic car wash is sufficient. I'm imagining having to use step ladders and spend hours waxing by hand. What is the best way to keep our RV waxed? What kind of wax is recommended and how should it be applied?
Depends on what you have and the age. Is is full paint, striping and fiberglass, etc. On full paint, I would use some of the newer synthetic polymer waxes that do not have carnaba in them. Aerospace 303 is good on plastic, rubber, tires, fiberglass, fiberglass roof, etc. If your RV is older and has oxidized some, then stuff like Rejex may be needed. You can check with manufacturer of your RV or your literature to see what they recommend.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #9

303 makes a Quick Detailer that works great for cleaning everything on the RV. Follow up with some 303 Protectant and your good to go.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllecr View Post
I'm imagining having to use step ladders and spend hours waxing by hand. What is the best way to keep our RV waxed? What kind of wax is recommended and how should it be applied?
You got it, A step ladder and hours of work.. Just now I've done the front cap, the basement compatment doors and the driver's side, Next work day (monday) I'll do the passeanger side and if I have the time re-do the front cap.

Best Wax: Any good QUALITY Auto wax.. I have used several, Turtle Wax Zip Wax (this is a foam you "Spray" on and buff off) That one that begains with "M" (Mcquires or Mcblires or somethign like that) this time it['s Turtel Was Super Hard Shell.

I do not recommend that one, too much work buffing it.. Thank heaven for my Waxmaster (Buffer). Looks like it will be a good wax though.

I did notice when I did my pre-wax bath.. Water still beads from last Spring's job.

Why do all the work.. I pick up about 1-2 MPG when I wax the beast. That is a significant amount on an 8mpg Average house. (2 was the first wax job) .

Other things to consider.. ROOF: Most roofs are a lot like a kitchen floor, Mop with Spic & Span, Rinse, DO NOT WAX (That is one surface you do not wish to slip off of).

Air Conditioners.. Clean evaporator and condenser coils, and everything else that is cleanable BEFORE doing roof. IF there are lubrication points, Take the hint (Likely no lube points). Inside clean filters (more often, like monthly) You can wax the outer cover on the A/C (Shroud) if you wish. Good time to do maintenance on anything else needing it up there too.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bull crap on getting better mileage because it is waxed good, Mythbusters proved that wrong.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01

Depends on what you have and the age. Is is full paint, striping and fiberglass, etc. On full paint, I would use some of the newer synthetic polymer waxes that do not have carnaba in them. Aerospace 303 is good on plastic, rubber, tires, fiberglass, fiberglass roof, etc. If your RV is older and has oxidized some, then stuff like Rejex may be needed. You can check with manufacturer of your RV or your literature to see what they recommend.
Rejex is not a polish or cleaner or wax............it is a protectant.............not good for restoring a damaged finish.

http://www.rejex.com/
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
holy amatuer wax/detail recommendations...lol.

you dont just slap wax on a vehicle. A good cleaning/wax job is a foundation for future cleanings/maintenance. Slop wax on top of dirt/debris your rig will look like garbage like 90% of the rigs out there.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We use Mary Moppins Advantage on all exterior, and on front cap every trip. Bugs wash off easily. Wash with baby shampoo and white vinegar.