Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Weight and Balance

I have an Oakland 28.5 ft.Class C which I took to the scale a few months ago and was shocked to learn that it was 70 lbs. over on the rear axle and it was only very lightly loaded (holding tanks empty and no groceries or clothing). It had a couple of chairs and a small barbecue in the rear compartment. Since then I have been trying to organize things to get a better weight distribution. I believe that the biggest problem is the spare tire which is mounted on the rear bumper and sits about 10 inches behind the rear wall of the coach. This unit has a very long overhang behind the rear axle, so that tire is probably putting close to double its weight on the rear wheels. I have been thinking of possibly moving it up onto the roof or even leaving it off altogether. There is no room for it in any of the storage compartments and I am reluctant to hang it on the front in fear of it blocking air movement and causing engine heating problems. I would like to know what all of your experience tells you about this. Has anyone placed there spare on the roof? and if so how did you hold it down. What happens if you get a flat and don't have a spare?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

1992 28.5 ft. Oakland Class C Ford E350 460 Eng.
billdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:49 PM   #2

Sounds like you have fallen victim, to the older and sometimes newer , overloaded from the factory, coach.

Placing the spare on the roof can destroy the structure, the roof may handle the weight on smooth roads , but any bouncing could start the trusses cracking and lead to failure.
You could run the scale with the spare removed, but I doubt it will make the difference your hoping for.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
Two observations, first, they make tire carriers that put the spare out in front of the grill, it blocks air slightly, but not as much as you'd think. Secondly, this 70 pounds is really kind of moot, if that little weight compared to the other 7,000 pounds on the rear axle (1% over) makes a difference, you have bigger things to worry about.

As was mentioned above, older longer Class C units were basically a gross weight coming out of the factory.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
I feel your pain......

I bought a 31 foot 98 Gulfstream Ultra last year and took it to the scales while it was fully loaded for camping. I found that the rear axle was overloaded by 350 pounds. The front axle was under rated load by 400 pounds, so I shifted as much weight forward as possible. Though this condition bothers me, I've come to accept the fact that is has been this way for 17 years with no obvious problems.
eddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have driven farm trucks for years that tend to be over on axle ratings as listed on door sill. From my observation they must build a little cushion into the ratings or by now I would have seen some kind of problems due to getting over the rated load. So, unless your way overloaded I wouldn't worry too much.
Eldon, Carol, and Bella(Lhasa-Poo)
Eldiee is offline   Reply With Quote