Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 08:18 PM   #1

Wet bunk

Firstly thanks for looking at my post, I appreciate I'm not a regular here and sorry to be intruding just in emergencies.

I'm not very comfortable posting normally, but I thought Id reach out in case it will help get me on the road faster?! It's a little emergency...

I was prepping for a 3000 mile trip in 2 days, and got a waft of mold when going through the bunk bed cabinet. Long story short, I am now looking at the wet frame and wondering where to next.

We can't delay the trip (kids tournament): is it possible to fix in 24hrs? And I mean 24hrs: willing to work all night.

I have some tools and access to Home Depot and Lowes!! Is anyone willing to guide me through finding the leak; fixing leak; replacing bunk flooring? I'm hoping to avoid removing any windows or external trim (it's now dark but at least not raining, miraculously) but if I need to Id love a guiding hand of experience. I'm a tinkerer at best but love to do it, but it's by no means my forte (due lack of time really, for research and completion) but I made all my own mouse/bunny cages as a kid and bookshelf/table/chair sets as an adult, so I'm definitely going to enjoy the doing part, just don't want to mess it up and have the leak return/ son fall through the cab...

Will upload pictures shortly when I work out how...
Lepchaun 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #2

Ok, just going to go ahead and document my steps. If anyone feels inclined go ahead and tell me if I'm doing wrong!

So, figure the demolition will point me in direction of leak.

Have removed curtains by unscrewing just one end of rails and sliding off.

Removed all trim.

Removed the cabinet pretty easily: found all the screws and wasn't that many. 3 attaching frame to wall then 4 attaching frame to bunk floor. Then whole cabinet lifted out. I removed the lid first (unscrewed hinges from cabinet, not lid, to keep hinges with lid).

Next I removed floor covering, was just glued down over previous repair (dealer, early did not fix after all).

All laminate plywood was wet: laminate just peeled off, then I broke up the plywood and removed.

Underneath was framed pine with beaded foam (?). I went to remove piece by piece but now I'm looking at unscrewing the frame from the cab ceiling and removing in possibly one piece... I'll see how I go...
Old 02-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #3

Unable to post pics from smartphone unfortunately.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
KIX

To post pics..........To the right of where you click to post you will see "Go Advanced". Click on that and you can write your post in that window. On the tool bar at the top of the area where you write your post you will see a paper clip icon......click on that to upload your pic.
Hope it works for you. I think you would be much better off making other arrangements for your trip and taking your time to fix the water leak correctly. Good luck
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is the cabover bunk, right? Based on what you are sharing, you probably have had a leak for some time. Unfortunate that the dealer's repair was not done properly. There may be rot. The timeframe you suggest to complete the job is likely not long enough for it to be able to dry out sufficiently even if you are able to replace areas of concern. The key would be to first find out where it is leaking. If you have any windows, especially a front window, they are common problem areas. The windows themselves are often set in butyl tape and that may have failed. Is the roof a rubber or EPDM roof or something else? If EPDM, take a look at the seams and other areas where the roof joins to the sidewall as well as the roof vent. Water can travel, so sometimes the leak can be further away than you might expect. These roofs often have these joints sealed with Dicor self leveling caulk. You can't just put it over old, cracking caulk. It has to be removed and new applied. Some choose to use Eternabond rather than the extra effort of removing and replacing Dicor. Avoid using silicon caulk mainly because it doesn't tend to last and nothing likes to stick to it when you have to do the next repair. A prior owner on one of my rigs (not the current one) used it and I had to remove and repair what had been done.

There are folks here that have documented repairs and have some great advice.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #6

I'm going to remove the windows to check if the leak is coming through somewhere. I noticed the felt on the DS bunk window is wet. Really wet. Growing mold. I had previously assumed condensation but may be wrong. I'm starting with that window.

Can I get butyl tape from Home Depot? Is that all I need to put the window back?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #7

Thanks Kix, I'll try the upload. Agree not nearly enough time. Ever stare hopelessness in the face and figure what have I got to lose? I may as well try.

What will be my biggest hurdles?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

YThanks Wanderso, I did check out the roof. It's largely in good condition, self levelling reinforcement over most joins- front and rear seams, air con etc, and the first owner was meticulous and clearly knew his stuff (I discover crafty upgrades all the time). I have a feeling he may have passed away: he owned for 16 years then it ends up at a dealers lot. Lots of records in scratchy notes... I digress.

On the gutter where the inserted plastic sleeve runs along I noted a broken patch about 4 inches right at the rear. We park very slightly nose down. One theory is water may have run inside and pooled in cab? I've filled this effectively but intend to replace the whole sleeve.

There is a slight crack in the seal around the edge cabin floor. I believe this is a function of the leak rather than cause itself.

I can do this, I can do this, I can do this. (I'm also heading to Arizona which I'm hoping will help us air out. Yep, optimistically still planning on getting there.

Worst case is a place the board back on and mattress in and head down anyway. I'm half serious...
Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #9

Not showing the paper clip icon...grrr
Old 02-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #10
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepchaun 96 View Post
Not showing the paper clip icon...grrr
After hitting the Go Advanced button do you see the smallo window that says "Fonts" ? Look to the right of that.

Suggestoin...........Since yo uhave severely limited time....go buy a dehumidifier at home depot. use some caulking (NOT SILICONE) wherever you think it may be leaking. Reinstall the window........caulk around it. Close it up for as long as youj can to let the dehumidifier do it's thing. Make your trip and fix it when yo uget back home. Good luck
Old 02-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #11

Testing photo upload. Had to go to full site. Found paper clip file option. Selected images but only one attachment appears below..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	85406  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #12
KIX

Yep see photo
Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #13

Seems I can only add one photo at a time (new uploads replace previous ones without retaining).

The framing on the floor below the front window is completely rotted and just pulls away.

My plan is to remove all rotted wood and simply replace.

Is that ambitious? Aside from materials it appears strsightforward, I'm sure I'm missing something (in the how clearly).

Identifying the leak is certainly a hurdle.

Next step: removing rotten pieces and shopping list for replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	85414  
Old 02-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #14

Can I remove entire floor without damaging walls?

How is the frame attached and is there a trick to removing.

Will Home Depot have everything I need?