Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

What do you tow? Describe your experience, please.

I thought about titling this thread "10 year old Seneca vs newish Greyhawk - About the same price?" but it's really towing I want to know about.

We are going to be buying a Class C RV next spring. We're pretty sure we want something in the 30' - 34' size range. We want to tow a later model Ford Ranger with an aluminum boat upside down up top on a rack.

We're looking to get away from our Florida home for the summers, thinking about 6-ish months of travel a year hopefully getting all over the USA.

Which brings me back to my 10 year old Seneca vs newish Greyhawk question (note, I'm not hung up on Jayco, it's just a convenient example of the premium for diesel power). Is it enough better that one is ahead buying a decade old versus new or barely used?

What do you tow with your Class C and with what are you towing? Describe your experience, particularly with grades. I did search and didn't find a thread anything quite like this. Thank you in advance.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
What do you tow with your Class C...?
We nearly always tow a Mazda Miata retractable Hardtop.

We sometimes tow a Chev Equinox if we must have a 4 seater.

Grades? I'd give the Miata an A+++ and the Equinox a C.
(I know that's not what you meant, but I couldn't resist).

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

With what you want to tow, I would go with the Seneca. However, I tow a Patriot on an American Dolly, all over the place and cannot notice is back there. We put a lot of stuff inside the Patriot.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #4

Tow a 2002 Honda CR-V 4 down.
Minnie Winnie 32'9" length
Ford E450

We are Flatlanders and very happy. We camp 3-4 months total over the course of a year, plenty of room and towing capacity. Parking, handling, backing in all easy. I remove 1 rear seat and stow my bike inside the CR-V.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a GMC Terrain with our 10 year old Seneca. We have installed many aftermarket chassis add-ons to the Seneca and with its Duramax we have to use the rear-view camera to make sure the towed is still back there, even on longer 6% grades.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The toad for my Class C is a 2016 Kia Soul with 6-spd manual transmission; its curb wt is approx 2700 lb but I put a lot of dense stuff in it to keep the wt of the coach down as much as possible. The Ford Ranger and boat rig you describe would be no problem at all.

I have the 305 HP version of the Ford V10 (as the Greyhawk will have ....but it will also have the 6-spd transmission which most all owners like a lot) but with a gasser you lose about 3% of its power for each 1000 ft above sea level. So when I go over Vail Pass here in Colorado, you can tell the engine is "gasping" for air and I have a mere 208 HP to do the work; Monarch Pass is worse at 11, 300 ft where I have 192 HP. Never a problem going over either of them, but in any mountainous area the diesel rigs with their turbos pass me like the freight train passed the tramp. SOoooo, I figure I will get to camp maybe 20 or 30 min later than I would with diesel power .......... hardly a deal breaker IMHO.

Look closely at the cargo carrying capacity of the Greyhawk. Most all 30+ ft Class C's (like mine) have precious little capacity. Do the math and give it some thought re how you will want to travel. I travel light and get along just fine, but bumping up against the GVWR or the axle GAWR's is always a bit of concern……so you have to pay attention is all (and get "baseline" front and rear axle weights [loaded as you plan to travel] at most any truck stop.) I don't know what the cargo carrying capacity of a 10-yr-old Seneca is but I am sure it is a LOT more than my rig; and that would be really, really nice.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Happy Camping and Safe Travels, whatever rig you end up with.......... ed s
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
On edit - - -

I just looked up the curb wt for a 2019 Ford Ranger and was surprised to find it was 4100 to 4990. So with a rack and an aluminum boat on top, it would probably be a no-go for my rig (5000 lb hitch). The hitch capability for a Greyhawk may be more....dunno, but you might want to ck it out, early on.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #8

We tow an '07 Prius on a Stihl dolly with electric brakes behind our Thor 26B on a E450 chassis. No issues with grades. We traveled through the mountains from VA to NV and back this summer with no issues. That was through the passes in WV, CO and UT.

dave
Hokie-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #9

Tow a 16 ft deck car trailer with either my 1932 Deuce Coup, 1962 Falcon Futura, or DWs 2004 4x4 Escape. As far SW as Az, NW as Iowa and up and down the East Coast.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #10

1999 Four Winds 5000 28D Pulling a 1986 Suzuki Samurai

I bought the RV about a month ago and took it for a 600 miles round trip to pick up a 1986 Suzuki Samurai. I was nervous at first not knowing how it would pull. I unhooked the drive shaft (4 bolts, short drive shaft from Transfer case to rear end) and pulled it around in a field first to see how it would track. I had my grandson watching the wheels to make sure they were tracking with the RV. It all seemed good and I drove the 300 miles home with no problems. Didn't even know it was there; I even stopped a few times to make sure. The Sammy only weighs about 2000 lbs. I was not using any breaking system except the RV and its weight; seemed to work well. I did make a few quick stops to see how it would handle once I got out on the road. The sammy is a manual 4W drive with a 1996 Geo Tracker 1.6L EFI engine. It has plenty of power to run down the road a 55-60 mph and climb most mountains. There are lots of available dingys out there that will work; this was just my choice and I'm sticking to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181111_102850.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	226694  
taichungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #11

I dolly towed a Kia Soul with my 1999 30ft, class C for 4 years.
Back then the V10 was 245 HP with the 4 speed transmission..

While climbing steep hills, it would drop to 40 MPH, at 4500 RPMs, in second gear. It was loud but did the job.

I now have a 25 ft Axis class A, built on the E450 chassis. It has the 310 HP V10 and the 6 speed transmission. We tow a heavier Jeep Renegade on the dolly.

With the new power train, It tows it like it wasn't back there. It also lists a 7500 pound class 3 hitch.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
On edit - - -

I just looked up the curb wt for a 2019 Ford Ranger and was surprised to find it was 4100 to 4990. So with a rack and an aluminum boat on top, it would probably be a no-go for my rig (5000 lb hitch). The hitch capability for a Greyhawk may be more....dunno, but you might want to ck it out, early on.
To be clear, I'm thinking of a 2011-ish Ranger - the last year they made them before the upcoming revival. So, more like 3800 pounds before the boat up top.

Thanks to everyone who's answered. I have some anxiety about the suitability of a gas rig for extended use. It's reassuring to hear from others who've managed.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a 2012 Subaru Impreza 5 speed manual, hardly even know it's back there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180414_155525.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	226709  
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #14

At one point, I was thinking about towing a Ranger, but I've read that they are towable up to only 55 MPH. (Motorhome magazine dinghy towing guide)

I tow a 2009 smart car. And I really don't know it's back there...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	226720  
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr, tow