Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
I just went through the same search as the OP. I was downsizing from a 2007 36' DP Class A. The kids are grown, it's only the two of us, and we didn't need all the space that we had in the A, plus all the maintenance costs.

I chose the Forest River Sunseeker. It has a full front cap with no seams and a full fiberglass roof. There are a lot of amenities you can get. I couldn't find one exactly to my liking on the dealer's lot, so I ordered it from the factory.

I chose the Sunseeker with the Ford e450 chassis/motor combination which gives me a 7500 lb hitch rating. And, since I tow a Hummer H3, I need the safety factor in a higher rated hitch.

My coach is due in from the factory next week and I'm ready to go. It will a joy to learn all the features of a new coach.

Forest River has been in existence since 1996 and has something like 23 manufacturing plants in the US. They offer a complete range of RV's from towables, 5th Wheels, Class C's and even Class A's under a variety of "badges". They also have commercial vans, park models, utility trailers, and even pontoon boats! They have expanded very rapidly and have bought other manufacturers that were in trouble. They are owned by Berkshire Hathaway Company, so they have a strong financial backbone. And, NO I don't work for them!

Give them a look!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
In June, I traded down from a 36ft class A to a Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ft class C on the Mercedes diesel chassis. My model (24ST) has twin beds aft and a bunk over the cab as well as reclining theater seats in the slide out. (Twin beds also make into a king size bed) There are several other floor plans available. Floor Plans Siesta Sprinter Motorhomes: Class C RV by Thor Motor Coach

The sprinter is very maneuverable and in over 4000 miles without a toad, I have only once rented a car, and that was to visit Canada on a recent trip to Niagara. Consistently get 15-16 mpg.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #17
KC

All though I don’t own a class C, we looked at C and Super C before we bought our rig. I don’t care who makes the RV, you can find people with issues about that manufacture. Go on line, find floor plan you like get a list of this you must have and things you would like and go shopping. Try to go to a RV show (don’t bring your check book). Look at as much as you can. Get a great dealer. I will say a good dealer can make your break your experience.

Good luck

KC
Old 09-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #18
jgn

Complaining is half of the internet. Few go on to say how pleased they are but many will complain.

Thought we had made up our minds on a Era 70A but now the Boss has seen a View 24G and thinks that is the way to go. I am not a big fan of the rear slide so we are going to look at the 24V.
The reason for considering the Era is it is a van and can park in our driveway without fighting the home owners covenants. 24V does offer more room so we will see.
This is a nice discussion site with good useful information, Thanks
jgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #19

Dynamax also has 2 year warranty, not just Jayco as stated above. We had a Thor FourWinds and really likes it, had some problems, but all of the motorhomes made are going to have issues. Find something in your budget that fits your family and make sure you like driving it.

2016 Dynamax Force, Just Rite 2
halla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Do not buy a used class c if there is any kind of water damage at all under the bed in the cab area. I had two like this and it is a lot of work to fix it. The mold smell should be apparent when you open the door. When buying a used class c ask if it was stored in doors or out. You can normally tell buy the outside of the MH whether it is faded or not. Also look for water damage on the ceiling too. These are the main things to look for then all the other like tires, gen.,how it drives, oil and ect. Newer the better.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's my advice:
Go rent one for more than a weekend. Yes, it's gonna cost you $250/day, but that's MUCH less expensive than buying a new one and making the wrong choice.

The Class-C, like the gasser Class-A, can be overloaded and handle very poorly (when new). Be prepared for that.. I've found that the C drives better, but sometimes some work is required to make them right.

They are all built like crap. No real wiring diagrams, just kinda thrown together and quality is asserted to be different trim levels - better cabinets, etc.. which really doesn't influence underlying construction quality.

I've had a higher end Jayco. Beautiful cabinets, but the cabinet pulls couldn't be installed at the same level (for example).

Thor.. Well, I own a Thor, it's been fine. I don't think it's quality is really any better or worse than Jayco. However, Thor (Keystone) won't talk to me directly and wants me to go through a dealer who won't offer me service unless I bought the unit there and if I did buy it there, requires a 1-2 month minimum to turn around a minor repair. Why? Because Thor (Keystone) pays a minimal amount for warranty repairs. Any sub-system, roof, refrigerator, axles, springs - they're likely to say "not our problem" (during warranty) and refer to the contractor that produced that part. I knew this up front - but many people don't - that 1 year warranty really isn't worth much if each repair costs 30-60 days - and that's a quick turn around.

Jayco doesn't do that. They'll sell parts direct to a 2nd hand owner. Doesn't mean Jayco doesn't have problems, but their reputation is better.

Look, with a $100k budget, I'd never ever buy a gas RV. Ever. You buy new to avoid problems, but that's just not true of new gassers by any manufacturer. You're much better served by buying a used diesel from a caring owner, even if that takes 6 months to find the right one...

With a 30k budget, I'm looking for a nice - used - Class-C. Take your time...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
"They are all built like crap. No real wiring diagrams, just kinda thrown together and quality is asserted to be different trim levels - better cabinets, etc.. which really doesn't influence underlying construction quality." I haven't checked on this class c but we downloaded all the diagrams on our other 2 Winnebagos. Remember diesel is higher upkeep.We never found that a few more miles per gal ever made up for the price of a diesel engine

Tags
class c