Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

When comparing Class C coaches I'm at a loss

What features are on some but not others? Do they all have rear jacks for example or not?

Based on reading nearly everything I narrowed down to Jayco, Coachmem and Forest River lines. I have never read anything great about the Thor/Four Winds lines. Problem is they look great and seem to be cheaper.

I want a slide and a bunk over the cab for sure, no slides on the awning side, bathroom with an entrance outside of the bedroom. One of the fords with the 7500 hitch would be preferable. New or late model.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

As for Thor, the following is from one of their corporate web sites.
Quote:
Welcome to Thor Industries

Thor is the sole owner of operating subsidiaries that, combined, represent the world’s largest manufacturer of recreational vehicles. Thor has been driving for excellence since its founding in 1980. Our total commitment to quality and our philosophy of putting our customers first has led to our continuous growth. Thor's excellent financial condition and years of solid growth are clear indicators that we will be here to serve you for years to come. We think this extra peace of mind is important when you are making a significant investment.
so they're probably doing something right, or at least good enough to stay in business.
All the brands you listed are to me at least, all about the same in quality, or lack of it. There are some good units built, while others turn out with all kinds of issues. It just depends on how lucky you are, with what you get.
As for features, they vary considerably . Some will have items as standard equipment (rear jacks as an example), or part of a mandatory package, while other brands won't (at least from the manufacturer) even have them as options.
What you are looking for, is offered by all of them I'd guess, in one model or another. I'm thinking of having awnings installed on the slide side of my 31K, that would enable me to open my sliding windows in the rain.

Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:12 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
What features are on some but not others? Do they all have rear jacks for example or not?

Based on reading nearly everything I narrowed down to Jayco, Coachmem and Forest River lines. I have never read anything great about the Thor/Four Winds lines. Problem is they look great and seem to be cheaper.

I want a slide and a bunk over the cab for sure, no slides on the awning side, bathroom with an entrance outside of the bedroom. One of the fords with the 7500 hitch would be preferable. New or late model.
First of all, Jayco is the only maker that offers a 2 year warranty. Has the Jayco suspension reinforced system. Has a queen size bunk over cab with weight capacity of 750lbs. The cab over is one piece wich eliminates leaking issues. The 2016 Jayco Grayhawk is now available with a fiberglass roof, 7500 lb tow capacity and 6 speed transmission.

Sits on a Ford chassis and v10 engine. Check out the jayco forum where you can get more info.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayhawk51 View Post
The cab over is one piece wich eliminates leaking issues.
Do others have issues with the leaking in the front?
Old 07-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do a search on cab over leaks you will find which ones had problems.
The manufacturer of my class c has as reported by owners on this forum had cab over leaks in their Leprechaun line.
Fortunately there is great people on here who have posted how to repair and maintain your rv.
Even if you are not handy or mechanically inclined you can learn what to watch for so to prevent it from being a major problem.
Good luck in you adventure.

2010 Coachmen Freelander 30qb
Ford E450 V10
Old 07-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #6

Every manufacturer had C's that leaked at the front window. Not all windows leaked but enough did that they have been eliminated in most models.

I don't recall seeing a C with leveling jacks before a few years ago. We don't find them particularly necessary but they do add weight, cost, and a failure point.

Smaller one's can be on Ford or Chevy chassis. Larger one's will be on Ford because there is no large Chevy chassis. There are a couple of versions of the Ford Chassis so some lines will stuff a bigger box on a lighter duty chassis. Watch the weight and wheel base specs.

A bunk over the cab is what makes it a "C".

All the vendors play with the balance of inside storage, kitchen space, seating, and bathroom space in various size boxes. Slides are ubiquitous. Full wall slides can be troublesome if you look at what is posted here. That is why most of us will tell you to find a floor plan or two you think you can live with then look at who builds it and deal with cost from there.

There are a lot of Thor owners out there. Most are happy. It's like any other business, the more customers one has the more likely one will not be happy.

Look around, buy used and try it for a while. You will learn what you need to know for your second RV. It's one of those things one can speculate about forever but practice really spells things out.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
What kind of roof to you want. We went with Winnebago for the fiberglass roof but some Jayco products have it now.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
First off, there are many different reasons for which coach you might choose. I have a Thor Freedom Elite 23U. I paid less for it brand new than some people pay for a new pickup! Previously we owned a top end Newmar Class A diesel pusher.

Yea the Newmar was great, but I worried constantly about all of the luxury items not working and interfering with my trips. Also, my wife and I found that we like camping in smaller spaces that most National Parks and National Forests provide. Many of the places we camp now, I would not have even considered bringing the big coach into.

Our Thor is not top of the line, but it meets our needs just fine. Recently, about 3 months out of warranty, I developed a leak where the camper meets the van. Thor opened the warranty for me and Camping World fixed the problem. Cant complain about that!

Take your time and do a lot of shopping. I tell folks to really be certain about what their needs are at this point in their travels. For example, our coach would be a bit small for two or three months, but we rarely are on the road for more than three weeks at a time. Also, on average Americans trade their RVs every 3-5 years, that has been true for us and if it is true for you, you will change your mind several times in the RVing life style.

best regards,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
How true we did exactly as Dave,5 units in 18 years, each bigger, now at this stage in our lives we have chosen smaller for shorter trips and the ability to park in the smaller campgrounds such as the provincial parks in Canada. If you are living in the unit for 4-6 months, get at least one slide and more options. We decided we no longer wanted to deal with slides, jacks, w/d, air dryers, etc and we wanted something we didn't feel we had to use. Find the floor pan and options that will work for you at this time in your life.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #10

My husband fell in love with the Forester line. He really liked the Leprechaun ones as well but the floorplan he saw on the Forester really sold him. Now I sit back and see if he will pull the trigger!

We liked the Jayco models but really wanted the upgrades of the greyhawk, but none were in stock :(
Old 07-18-2015, 10:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
What kind of roof to you want. We went with Winnebago for the fiberglass roof but some Jayco products have it now.
Winnebago
Fiberglass roof
Dual pane windows
Long wheelbase
Smooth gel sides
Wiring looks good
Solid riding with few rattles
I have a E450 on a 26Q silver model 2012
Old 07-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #12

Are there ones even more "luxurious" with a bunk over the cab?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Super C's.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #14

I own a 2014 Thor freedom elite 26T and love it. It has a ford 450 v10 and I tow a 2011 grand Cherokee with yaks on top. Bought it used was a rental but in great shape had 40k miles

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441986739.955586.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	106603

Tags
class c