Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
14.4 volt Milwaukee.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #16

Make sure to mount them on the actual truck frame, not the extension added to the frame. On a 28A you should see where they added the extension right behind the rear suspension.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can mount them on the extension, they are just for stabilization. You are more man than me if you can crank them up high enough to actually bend a frame rail. My 14.4 volt peters out as soon as a little weight is transferred off suspension. Mounting to far in the rear is stupid also, could then bend the frame as leverage increases and also a danger of scraping on the ground when traveling.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaboo
Make sure to mount them on the actual truck frame, not the extension added to the frame. On a 28A you should see where they added the extension right behind the rear suspension.
I will look. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman
You can mount them on the extension, they are just for stabilization. You are more man than me if you can crank them up high enough to actually bend a frame rail. My 14.4 volt peters out as soon as a little weight is transferred off suspension. Mounting to far in the rear is stupid also, could then bend the frame as leverage increases and also a danger of scraping on the ground when traveling.
Noted.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #20

Thanks for sharing! This will help the bounce from my kids moving around.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #21

Thanks to all of you! You gave very useful info!

What would be better: welding or bolting?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welding is always better, but bolting means you can take it with you when you change rigs. I bolted mine.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #23

Talking

Today I installed 4 scissor jacks to my 28A class C. The job was done using 4 steel angles welded to the frame. I bolted the jacks to the angles so I will be able to take them with me when I change rigs.

So far, it seems that they will do the stabilizing job kind of nice. Tomorrow I will make a stress testing trying to rise my rig a little bit. I'll take some pictures and will share with you.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaredo
Today I installed 4 scissor jacks to my 28A class C. The job was done using 4 steel angles welded to the frame. I bolted the jacks to the angles so I will be able to take them with me when I change rigs.

So far, it seems that they will do the stabilizing job kind of nice. Tomorrow I will make a stress testing trying to rise my rig a little bit. I'll take some pictures and will share with you.
Nice. I'll be on the look out.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
So newbie question here... the previous owner had 2 scissor jacks that he did not have affixed to the motor home, rather, he made special wood blocks to put on top of them that cradle the rear bumper edge. Is that not the good place to put them? (actually, I don't know where he used them, it appears from the blocks that is where they should be used.)

I don't really notice much difference whether they are used or not, but then we are only 22' long also.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
So newbie question here... the previous owner had 2 scissor jacks that he did not have affixed to the motor home, rather, he made special wood blocks to put on top of them that cradle the rear bumper edge. Is that not the good place to put them? (actually, I don't know where he used them, it appears from the blocks that is where they should be used.)

I don't really notice much difference whether they are used or not, but then we are only 22' long also.

I think people would recommend you putting jacks just behind the rear axle on the frame. The front jacks would go just under the frame. I think do that first then put the jacks on the rear bumper to add to the stabilization. I think using just that would put too much stress on the bumper and break it off or bend it.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #27

Today was an all-day-rainy-day. The stress test will have to wait until next weekend, so the pics.

MartySQ: FW5000DRIVER is right. Levelers should be near to the rear axle and always pushing the main frame. If they're fixed to the frame they will deliver better support.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
here is a picture of my rear bumper for you.... don't think it is going anywhere soon...but I could be all wrong. It is a one piece steel thing that has the hitch right in it. Front bumper is more like a van/car bumper ... well, the older 1980's silver kind anyway...LOL!

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks