Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

Angry Where is my Chinook 12v main battery fuse?

Bought a 04 chinook Glacier a few months back, dealer said he went over it with a fine tooth comb. Let me tell you ,his comb had a few gaps. One tire blew out coming from Fla. inverter wouldn't charge the new batteries he put in, so I started troubleshooting. Could not find the main 12v fuse(325a) in the specs,just the reset-able breakers in the battery box and the spade fuses and 110 breakers. One of the "new" batteries was bad so I replaced all (cheapies) with top of the line agm's. Still no charge, so I'm thinking the inverter/charger is bad. Put new inverter in, same story. Pulled it back out and bench tested per factory tech. Worked and charged, but had some other malfunctions. So I tested the old one and presto , it worked great. Got religious and was noseing around the vacated inverter area beneath the closet trying to trace the 2/0 battery cables looking for any sign of trouble and I stuck my arm up behind the back wall of the closet and felt the cables and the main 12v fuse. Silly me ,I don't know why I didn't think to use my X-ray vision to see the fuse behind the wall?? I surely wouldn't want someone to mention it's location in a manual ,that would be a lot of trouble. I'd rather spend $1500.00 and 40 hrs trying to solve that wonderful puzzle than to check a fussssse!!Well now you know where my Chinook 12v main battery fuse is,hope this save someone a lot of time anger and $$$

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #2

Thanks...I too just bought a 2004 Chinook Glacier 2500. So far so good...drove it down to Pensacola last week and it did great on the highway. Thanks for the heads-up.

Randy

Old 08-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #3

Talking o4 Chinook ,Randy

Your welcome Randy,
Another bit of info , in your battery compartment, on the right wall, there are 1st some 12v wire terminal blocks. Behind them are 3- 12v resetable circuit breakers, for different sections of the coach. Because they are behind and in the back ,you might not see how they work, or know that they are tripped. They have a red button on the front ,pushing it in "trips" the breaker and stops the 12v. On the face of the breaker a little arm pops down indicating its been tripped. to reset ,push the little arm back up til it stays back in its "on" position. If you have outage probs those would need to be checked ,hopefully you won't have to get to "the "fuse" unless you have to. Hope this helps, Keith
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #4

Keith - I noticed on the closet mounted build sheet that my 2004 Glacier is really a 2005 model and the chassis is shown as a 2004. When I mentioned it to the previous owner...he stated that some states title them to the chassis and not by the coach year. This works for me because it saves me a few dollars on my taxes and I also gained a year newer MH. Is your Glacier listed the same as mine?

Randy
Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Just an FYI most people miss this. Tires have a date code on them and they are good for 4 to 5 years before the interior rubber starts to break down. You see this on RV's more than cars because we only put a few miles a year on them. This is the reason you see the tires in strips alongside the road. When you buy a used RV or even new tires for an old RV check the date code on the tire to make sure you aren't getting old tires. This link will help you to read them and remember in some states it is aganst the law to sell tires that are over 4 years old. Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire
Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtrader View Post
Keith - I noticed on the closet mounted build sheet that my 2004 Glacier is really a 2005 model and the chassis is shown as a 2004. When I mentioned it to the previous owner...he stated that some states title them to the chassis and not by the coach year. This works for me because it saves me a few dollars on my taxes and I also gained a year newer MH. Is your Glacier listed the same as mine?

Randy
Randy, Mine is a 2004 on a 2003 chassis. I understand chinook bought a lot of chassis and kind of stockpiled them,to where they might have lasted a yr or 2. I also believe they only made them after they had the orders. You lucked out on a yr newer model. Keith
Old 08-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinger View Post
Just an FYI most people miss this. Tires have a date code on them and they are good for 4 to 5 years before the interior rubber starts to break down. You see this on RV's more than cars because we only put a few miles a year on them. This is the reason you see the tires in strips alongside the road. When you buy a used RV or even new tires for an old RV check the date code on the tire to make sure you aren't getting old tires. This link will help you to read them and remember in some states it is aganst the law to sell tires that are over 4 years old. Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire
Thanks Davinger, my tire looked like a new Michilen ,but had disinegrated from being flat or old one. We call those semi trailor retreads that come unbonded Gaters cause they look like a gator with the tread on the top. Keith
Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtrader View Post

Randy
Randy, If your not a member of the Chiook campers club (east) ,you might not know about the battery separator recall. The site is recall@surepower.com, Surepower is the maker, but you might have one from a diff manufacturer. Check it out,under the hood ,right side, mounted on the interior fender wall ,about 3"x 3" . Keith
Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwill View Post
Randy, If your not a member of the Chiook campers club (east) ,you might not know about the battery separator recall. The site is recall@surepower.com, Surepower is the maker, but you might have one from a diff manufacturer. Check it out,under the hood ,right side, mounted on the interior fender wall ,about 3"x 3" . Keith
Thanks Keith...we just recently joined Chinook Camping Club and planning to go to the October rally. Are y'all planning on attending? Also checked my separator and I'm good to go. As a matter of fact we are in the Chinook as as I respond to your post...camping in the driveway. Still trying to get aquainted with everything.

Randy

Tags
battery, fuse