Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Which Super "C" ???

Hi

I'm new to the forum. I am looking to buy a used Super "C" motorhome and would like any input that might steer me in the right direction. I am looking at the Jayco Seneca, however I will consider any . Duromax vs Cummins?
Floor plans? Do's and don'ts?
Any info. will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorlock View Post
Hi

I'm new to the forum. I am looking to buy a used Super "C" motorhome and would like any input that might steer me in the right direction. I am looking at the Jayco Seneca, however I will consider any . Duromax vs Cummins?
Floor plans? Do's and don'ts?
Any info. will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
I have looked a Nexus, Thor and Jayco (as well as Dynamax if you can afford it, and I would definitely go Jayco.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco over Thor. However Jayco builds them like the build their RVs. Not bad, but not great either. They tried to do some of the higher end C stuff for a while, but those RVS (Embark) seemed to receive pretty underwhelming reviews.

The Seneca is fine, it's really not a luxury coach, it's a HD version of their Class-C line. I drove a 2007 recently and liked it. Newer ones, I haven't driven.

I prefer Cummins over any other motor, not because it's best performance or like it's behavior, but because it's a relatively simple motor, has super support in the industry, and parts costs are reasonable.

Dynamax certainly gets my vote for if it's in your price range.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #4

We are a year and change into our experience with a 2009 Seneca. Very happy with the build quality, fit and finish. Pleased with how the duramax performed on a recent 4,700 mile trip from the east coast out through Colorado, Wyoming, etc. The Allison transmission was perfect, and the engine brake was a lifesaver in the mountains. Overall I think if you can find one in the 2008-2010 range you can't go wrong if it's been taken care of.

I did check out a new one on the freightliner chassis - it's pretty tight if you can pull the trigger on the price point - similar interior but a nice upgrade in the chassis. I could see trading up to a used 2015 out around 2020.

Any specific questions feel free to PM and I'll do my best. Overall though, it's been everything we could have hoped for.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

There are used Super C's on Medium Duty Trucks (MDT) built by Freightliner/Cummins and Navistar/MaxxForce trucks. These are by Jayco, and smaller scale makers like Forest River's Dynamax line and NeXus.

Thor's new Super C's are built on the Ford F550 MDT with their 6.7L Diesel and 6speed. These FourWinds and Chateau branded RV's were only introduced in 2014, so will be rare on the used market.

Due to the dedicated following that the commercial only brand trucks have, you might find the price points on those trucks in the used market will be oddly high for age and condition. A new Super C Thor/F550 will have similar capacities and could be close in price to a used model of the other makers.

Under the surface most all RV's are made with similar systems, so I suggest that you shop around to see what you like...floor plan is important. And ease of use and maint. is pretty important too...Ford probably has the edge on that over Freightliner or Navistar, IMHO.

BTW, Thor is the #1 best selling motorhome brand in North America, and like ours, they are very good RV's and come at a very good price point.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
KC

We are looking like you are, so far for price point we like the Jayco. The new 16 chassis have air ride seats and air brakes which is a big plus. We plan on visiting the NeXus factor next month. KC
Old 07-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #7

Super "C"

Thanks a bunch for the responses. Anyone know what year they put the Cummins in the Seneca? This is a great forum and I appreciate all of you taking time to respond.

Mike
Old 07-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
mre

It has been awhile since I looked at the Thor Super C and the Nexus Super C, but if memory serves me correctly, the OCCC isn't all that great -- which really surprised me. It had great tow capacity though.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Mike, the Cummins/Freightliner combo first appeared in the Seneca in 2012. In 2013, the big changes were air bags on the rear axle and move from 19.5" to 22.5" wheels. The Freightliner chassis was under the Embark starting in 2009, but it is heavier GVWR and bigger engine (ISC vs ISB).
Miller205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #10

Which Super C

We purchased a 2015 Jayco Seneca this summer and have to say it drives very well. The Freightliner chassis seems to be very stable, brakes well and the Cummins engine has enough power for the road. The coach interior is not luxurious by many standards but the fit and finish is acceptable. I would buy this coach again.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #11
srh

Monaco Owners Club
My first coach was a 2006 Jayco Seneca with Duramax. I had it until 2011. The only problem I was experiencing with it was when it was windy, and when big rigs passed me, I had to hold on to the steering wheel. This, I think, in part is due to the wheel base and the long overhang behind the rear wheel. The build quality as has been alluded to was okay.
If you are looking for a better quality and can swing it look into Dynamax Class C.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #12

We have a 2016 Dynamax Force. Sits in a Freightliner M2. Absolutely love it. Fun to drive and a lot of room.

2016 Dynamax Force, Just Rite 2
Old 12-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #13
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
We have a 2016 Dynamax Force. Sits in a Freightliner M2. Absolutely love it. Fun to drive and a lot of room.

2016 Dynamax Force, Just Rite 2
Congratulations! You made a wise move.

Many happy and safe travels!