Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #1

Which would you choose in a 27-30 footer?

Hi all, we are real newbies, trying to decide which MH to choose. I NEVER thought it would be this hard!!! Please give your experience, thoughts on the following Class C if YOU had to choose.... We found a 2007 Coach House 27 ft. with 2 slides and the mandatory queen in back for me it is not new but affordable. For just the 2 of us, we want the bed in back separate living area for hubby since we have different sleeping schedules. We looked at the 24 ft but think they are too small for our habits. We would choose diesel if we had a choice but $$ is ruling this decision. If you have other choices, which would you choose if your budget was under $100,000??? Thank you much in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You can get a new diesel Winnebago View with a rear queen for under $100K.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #3

The Jayco Grey Hawk is worth a look. Walk-around queen bed. Sofa and dinette seating. Excellent generator. MSRP is over $100k, but selling price is considerably lower. Good reputation and 2-yr warranty. Ford E450.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you are set on a C you have the dollars for new. I would go with a two slide floor plan that fits you in or near 30'. Another option is a new A in the same size with super slide or two slides, we have friends just got their 27-28' for under your dollars New with most all the goodies. If your dollars are near the top new, if like 50,000 then a good used unit.

LEN
Old 08-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

You can not go wrong with Coach House's quality. We drove a 2004 for 9 years and then traded it in for a 2013. Did not have any maintenance issues with the 04 and none so far with the 13. Coach House is a family owned business and makes most of the unit in-house using first class material-no particleboard. Their higher cost is due to the quality materials and the 1 piece fiberglass shell, no joints to leak, rattle and no roof to repair. Their deprecation is lower than most. Just need to find a floor plan that works for you.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Floor plan is what makes you happy after you have spent your money. Right behind that is stuff storage and holding tank size.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
what ever u do look at the weights when u put 2 slides on a C lose CCC. I know the newer C have more CCC but it all on frt axle very little on rear old was 14.050 new 14.500 total
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Find the floor plan that works for you. Most manufacturers while have a model line that has the floor plan similar to what you want.

Then get the best coach you can for the money you are spending. Entry level coaches are OK. They will work well and last a good while but a better coach with real wood, better appliances and features will last longer. And you will be happier with the longer life and better appliances.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #9

We have a 27' Forester with one slide and absolutely love it. It was well below your price target.

There are many great campers out there, we just like the upgraded feature in the shorter camper. Plenty of room for us, and the grandkids when they come along.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #10

Hi becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky roamer View Post
Hi all, we are real newbies, trying to decide which MH to choose. I NEVER thought it would be this hard!!! Please give your experience, thoughts on the following Class C if YOU had to choose.... We found a 2007 Coach House 27 ft. with 2 slides and the mandatory queen in back for me it is not new but affordable. For just the 2 of us, we want the bed in back separate living area for hubby since we have different sleeping schedules. We looked at the 24 ft but think they are too small for our habits. We would choose diesel if we had a choice but $$ is ruling this decision. If you have other choices, which would you choose if your budget was under $100,000??? Thank you much in advance!
I was in your boat the last 3 months as i was looking as well.

I just purchased a 2014 (new old stock) Coachmen Leprechaun and I will say it took me forever to figure out which way to go! But I kept looking and found the right one for me, and that's what you should do is look for what you need it for.

I had certain things I was looking for. The biggest problem I had was Overall Length. I am a tournament bass fisherman so I cant really have something that't too long (although I am a little nervous about 30'). When your launching and loading your boat it could get scary.

But also being a single guy I wanted to Above Drivers area Entertainment Center, Outside Refer and Camp Kitchen and also the TV outside. It works perfect for me. Actually I will hold judgement on that, I haven't driven it to much yet towing my boat.

The biggest problems I found was you find certain things you want in a MH and then a great floor plan but it took me forever to finally put them together! I originally wanted around a 25-26 footer but then I saw the outside Refer and camp kitchen. Well then of course I couldn't find any in that length, they had to be 29+ before they had that option. Or the Entertainment center option wasn't available in all MFG of MH.

So take your time and you will find what you want

GL

Mike
Old 08-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #11

Take a look at a Winnebago 31N, I think the floor plan was available from 2009 thru 2011, then they changed the floor plan a bit. You can google it to see the floor plan.

You may want to consider buying used from a reputable dealer or consignment before putting a lot of money down on a new unit. If you buy and hate it, you loose a lot or money reselling it.

Pete
Old 08-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #12

I want to agree the two slides on a class C can really up the weight. We rented a 32' Coachman with two slides to take the kids and grand kids to the beach. Even with no one in the RV but my husband and I the motor home with two slides did not handle that well. We loved the whole motor home concept though and bought a 29' coachmen with one slide. It does not sleep as many people but it sure handles much better. The turning radius is smaller making it easier to maneuver and it does not sway or wander like the 32' did. I also noticed more swaying when diesel trucks passed the 32' and much more power with the 29'. They were both Chevy 4500 chassis. You should drive both sizes to see the difference for yourself