Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
RV and Truck Parts and Service - Henderson's Line-Up

and/or

3Ts RV Products
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Having been through the steering issue with an E450, the Saf-T-Plus is a patch and does not correct the problem. Our C had a steering dampener but that was not the problem. Like I noted, HD Bilstein shocks and HD anti-roll bars with urethane bushings.

But first load the coach like you travel, get it weighed and set the tire pressures accordingly. Now get the alignment done at a truck suspension shop....not a Ford shop.

No way would I trust the shop pushing the steering stabilizer (Saf-T-Plus)

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #17

Guess I am the only one. Who has not felt the need to change my steering damper.

Scan Guage speeds would be right on. Compared to the stock speed-o.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #18

Wink No problems with our Nexus

It will take the Scan Gauge a few tanks, consistently filled to the same level, to get you accurate fuel consumption numbers. I agree the SG will be more accurate than the speedometer but you can always cross check it with the GPS. I always run with my SG set to display coolant and trans fluid temps along with average and real time mpg.

I keep reading about all of the handling problems with C's, especially the E-450's but have yet to experience anything but a great, smooth, total control ride. Our Nexus Phantom 23P is an E-350 and we are running right at 10,000# with a GVWR of 11,500#. I keep the Michelins at 60 psi and the ride is smooth and quiet.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I plan to talk with a local RV shop I use that feels that shocks, maybe alignment, and sway bar should fix most of my problem. He thinks he can provide a more cost effective solution than what some have proposed so far that included air bags and steering stabilizer. i am glad there has been good results by some here using the shocks and bar. i appreciate the interchange of ideas here. I went for my second trip last week with our WB Access that is only 31' but we had side to side and front to back bounce and steering corrections required. Hope I can resolve most of it before next March when we go camping again.
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire pressure has a lot to do with handling. I would strongly advise getting it weighed at full load and then consult the tire manufacturer's pressure chart for the correct tire pressure based on your axle weighs. I found that I could reduce air pressure by almost 10lbs and still be in the range for proper weight distribution. That made a HUGE difference in the handling. The standard 65lbs/front and 80/lbs rear is a worst case scenario. That's way too much pressure.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #21

Steering stablizer

RVTEN,
You're not the only one with an OEM steering damper, but I guess I'm the only one with the OEM anti sway bars and no rear airbags.
I went through all this stuff too and now my rig (2007 BT Cruiser Model 5291 - 30 ft triple slide on an E-450 chassis) and my rig handles like an SUV.

CMALBERTO,
Listen to the "Harvard" man! He knows what he is talking about!

I installed the adjustable Ignalls bushings ($29 each) myself that he suggested, had the alignment redone and the caster adjusted to the maximum.
On my rig that turned out to be (4.9) versus the (3.1) I had originally from the factory.
I could finally drive down the road one handed without constantly adjusting the steering and my rig tracked down the road like it was on rails.

I had other issues that also had to be addressed initially, that is my rig was rear axel overloaded from the factory. Ford told me the only fix was to increase the 9 pack rear spring package to an 11 spring package. So I complained to the manufacturer (Gulfstream) that "we" had a rear overloading problem and they agreed to take it back to the factory in Nappannee, IN. They had MorRyde rebuild the springs and that eliminated the problem of getting pushed around by the trucks. That also eliminated the need for a rear track bar. In fact I still have a brand new in the box never opened Blu-Ox rear track bar that I would like to sell for my cost ($450). It's made for E-450 chassis I believe 2003 to 2014.

Just sayin', do the cheap stuff first. Have it weighed, air the tires to the proper amount and have it aligned. If they can't adjust the caster to 5+ like the "Harvard" man says, then install the Ignalls adjustable bushings and have the caster readjusted to the maximum.

Good Luck!
Pete
purduepete2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, steering