Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Exefdfireman said:
"I like the design of many of the type C motor homes, and believe that they may be safer driving on the highway." He may be referring to the car-like C driving area, but hopefully he will comment further on that.

Do you think your "C" is safer than an "A" or other type of RV? If so, why?

If not that, why did you choose a Class C?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Exefdfireman said:
"I like the design of many of the type C motor homes, and believe that they may be safer driving on the highway." He may be referring to the car-like C driving area, but hopefully he will comment further on that.

If not that, why did you choose a Class C?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:07 AM   #3

Besides the obvious intrinsic safety features built in by the cab manufacturer, i.e., air bags, dash pads, crush zone, etc., many of the smaller, non-overloaded B+'s & C's offer good handling & accident-avoidance capabilities should the need arise. That's something the class A's can only dream about. My 2006 Cambria, while not a sports sedan by any means, can handle, accelerate & brake with the flowing traffic, thus not making us a potential rolling obstacle & irritation to other drivers on the highway. Drivers of the much larger class A's who operate their coaches in the same manner are probably overdriving their coaches for the vehicle's mechanical ability & existing road conditions. Other than controlled braking, there are no safe accident-avoidance manoeuvers a large class A [or overloaded class C] can take without further jepoardizing the safety of their passengers & other nearby drivers. The safest place for the big ones is probably in the right traffic lane, doing the speed limit [or slower] and fully enjoying the RV experience!
zooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:20 PM   #4

I would take our Super C any day, lot's of power, nice nose in front of you for crash protection and I feel it''s the safest for my family
Old 12-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #5

I have been driving a class C for years and I can tell you your C is no great handler either, it as well as all other RVs belong in the right lane with the slow tradffic doing no more than the speed limit if for no other reason the safety of all concerned, it may feel like a car or van but it ain't and it will for sure not stop like one, if you think it will then you are an accident waiting to happen.

I bought my C because I liked the size, the cost and I could get more sleeping accomidations in a C floor plan than a much larger A.

Terry
Alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:37 AM   #6

One thing I like, for sure, is having a driver's door. It's quite convenient when backing into a tight spot or when I'm working on the unit.
One thing I don't like is not having automatic levelers. I spend a bit of time playing with blocks to achieve a level condition. However, the more I rv the less concerned I am about getting perfectly level and the better I do setting the blocks.
As to driving and handling, it suits me fine. I do like knowing that we have airbags if the unthinkable were to occur. Just hope that is never something that we will actually use.

Maple & Maroon Interior
myway2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:48 AM   #7

After owning, and driving, a 36' Class 'A', then a 36' fifth Wheel with F350, I can tell you that the 'C' is a dream to drive, handle, park and maneuver in traffic .... and, for us anyway, it is the perfect size for our lifestyle ...

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #8

My doctor said I would be top heavy with a "D"
Old 12-23-2005, 09:53 PM   #9

The wife can change the heat/ac.radio & drive it.
akrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:54 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
Exefdfireman said:

If not that, why did you choose a Class C? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got to say that I have never driven a type "A" MH, so I really don't have any thing to compare to. It's just my opinion from looking at several motor homes of different makes and models. I just feel that the major auto mfgs. ie. Ford, GM, etc. have availible much more experience and technology than motor home mfgs. Strictly a personal opinion.
exefdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ve got to say that I have never driven a type "A" MH, so I really don't have any thing to compare to. It's just my opinion from looking at several motor homes of different makes and models. I just feel that the major auto mfgs. ie. Ford, GM, etc. have availible much more experience and technology than motor home mfgs. Strictly a personal opinion.

Po </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fireman, the majority of the Class A frames are built by several chassis manufacturers. Workhorse (was started as a separate company from GM), and Ford for the gassers. On the diesels, you have Spartan, also Workhorse and a few others. A few of the large diesel pusher manufacturers manafacture all or part of their chassis for their use.

I think that the folks that make the larger chassis have plent of technology for the frames.

Having had two class A's and one class C, I would go back to a class A over a class C. The larger class C's are very heavyand do not have much carry capacity when you work from actual weights. I do not trust the CCC listed on the sticker in the unit.

Also, a lot of the larger class C's do not have very good road handling due to the top heavy box design and maxed out suspension. You can make a class c handle very well, but it will generally take upgrading the anti-roll bars and HD shocks.

Also, it is a personal preference on what you wnat to drive. I prefer the wide open drivers view of the class A.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:16 AM   #12

We've had them all from the popup to 24' trailer, 27' 5ver' 32' Adventurer, and took possession of a 2006 Jayco 30GS Greyhawk in September.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Class A, but my wife had a phobia about the "bus" effect. She loves the Class C and has no fear of riding in it or driving it. We ordered the above cab entertainment center instead of the bed. The 30GS has two slides so it gives us more comfort.

2006 Jayco Greyhawk 30GS
PA Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #13

Why a C we asked before we bought. We were told we would go to an A so why start with a C.
Because : Price to purchase and service. Driver and Passenger door while traveling, back door while camping. More usable layout. Better gas mileage and the DW will drive it. We got one of the smaller ones with the Big engine-- we just cruise along with our toad and never strain the engine. As our "A" friends are maturing they are either dropping out of RVing or returning to "C land". The real question is WHY NOT....
Old 02-20-2006, 06:48 AM   #14

jim2e--Right On! You nailed it! RZ