Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #29

Class C my Advice is to stay under 30ft.

Class C is lower to the ground and has less sway.
Class C has a much better front suspension (coil springs vs leaf springs).
Class C cab is much more user friendly and is much safer with air bags and a front end designed to be driven (vans).
Cab noise is much quieter because engine is out front not under you.
Power windows and doors you can get out of like a truck.
Sun in your face is reduced because of the overhead.
Gas mileage is a toss up.
The front suspension rides more like a van which is much smother than a UPS truck. Not as many rattles going down the road.

We have had both and for us the C is much better. We have a 26ft Itasca with a E450 Chassis with a long wheel base and factory rear air bags.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
There seems to be a lot of confusion between a class A gas and a class A DP. A DP will not make you seasick going down the road with it's air ride suspension. You cannot hear the engine in a DP as the engine is at the rear and nowhere near the occupants. There are so many differences between the class C and a DP class A that the OP would have to try each one to see the difference. A class C may be perfect for there needs, or they may decide that they need more than a comfortable vacation camper.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
C has better chasis integrity, C is safer & more Durable-got airbags, Parts for the C Chasis are much more abundant

I have a Winnebago View-Winnebago makes an "A" also on the Mercedes Chasis, that is the same length with virtually the same amenities- and... it costs $20K more-that was enough for me.

These are all my "Opinions" other folks have theirs as well- That is the reason they make so many different kinds-

My best advice_- Get the one you want!
Old 05-14-2015, 03:19 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My reasons for choosing a Class C were:

1. Parking: my 23 ft. MH fits in my home parking space with room for my Mustang.

2. The Class C was cheaper in price than a Class A.

3. I don't need all that Class A room.

4. If necessary, I can use my MH as a temporary alternative vehicle to get to work when my car is in the shop for repairs. A Class A would be too big for my work to accommodate it in the parking lot.

5. I just happen to prefer a Class C.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I can't comment on a C over an A. But vice-versa, I can think of a lot.

Access from the drivers compartment into the coach.
Use of the drivers/passenger seat when parked.
Availability of power levelers.
Overall size and floor plan options.
If you really can't decide; rent one of each for a couple of weeks, particularly if you have never RVed, that would be a must, there are some wonderful people out there who do RV; BUT, it's not for everyone.
I have (Finally) had a chance to set foot in several class Cs
The access to the coach from the cockpit.. Same as my A
Likewise use of seat
Power levelers can be added

OVERALL SIZE is important to many.. As is MPG.. Theory has it the smaller C may have better MPG (may or may not in reality)

Smaller means people think it will be easier to back into and in some RV parks they ar right..Some RV parks my 38'A does not even fit.

Less house to keep.

In my case wife and I wanted features not to be found in a "C".. but since she died.. The only reason I am still in an A is that transfering my life to a new house on wheels would be too much work... (As a ham radio operator there are a few...Additions...I have made to this rolling "shack".)
Old 05-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
I have had new, a 29' and 24' Class C and a 34' Class A DP and now a 30' Class A gas.

Class C's the chassis has parts readily available as in when we went to Alaska and got a cracked windshield going thru canada getting it replaced was as easy as going to the nearest glass shop and had it done the next day. They are a little more maneuverable at least our 24' was, our 29' not the same. Both had sway and push and lots of wind noise and squeaks from the overhead being attached to the roof. After having the Class A DP and selling it I swore I would never own a class A again due to the unavailability of parts from radiators to body panels as they don't often use the same stuff on the next year. Now we are back to a class A mainly because I like the use of all the space, on our 24'. 8' of the coach is unusable as it contains the front engine and the drivers compartment. Ours did not have swivel seats or room for them. If it had or could I may have reconsidered keeping it.
Its all personal choices and you just have to put on paper what you like about each and hate about each and then see which wins out.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #35

We are talking about a class A gas.

Just get under the front of the motorhome and look at the suspention. It is a leaf spring straight axle with one shock per side. This is why they drive and ride poorly. When you hit a dip on the right side the whole front end dips not just the one wheel.

I installed sumo springs on the front of our Class A gas which did help with the front end sway and harshness.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHB View Post
We are talking about a class A gas.

Just get under the front of the motorhome and look at the suspention. It is a leaf spring straight axle with one shock per side. This is why they drive and ride poorly. When you hit a dip on the right side the whole front end dips not just the one wheel.

I installed sumo springs on the front of our Class A gas which did help with the front end sway and harshness.
I did the same!
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #37

I wouldn't even look at a standard Class C but a Supper C is a totally different animal. I'd take a Supper C any day.

Upside:
  • Those riding in the cab are safer due to all of the engine area that will absorb a lot of the impact. On a Class A DP you have noting to protect you up front.
  • Much better towing ability depending on the rig. Some of the Super Cs can tow well over 20 to 30K.
  • Storage on a Supper C is close to that of a Class A DP although you don't get much in the way of pass through storage.
  • The interior detail is every bit as good as a DP when you're talking about the same price rig.
  • You can get service at just about any truck repair depot and they don't have to open up the floor in your bedroom to work on the engine.
  • Personally I think most of them look better than a DP.
Downside:
  • You loose some space, 5 to 7 feet, depending on how far the engine extends ahead of the dash.
  • Little Pass through storage.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
And those Super C Rigs ride just like a U Haul Truck ! They don't have a Decent pass through for normal size
people!

Other than losing About Ten Feet of usable interior space they can be quite sumptuous !
Old 05-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
I have to agree with Mich F. We have a 33' Itasca SunCruiser (Workhorse) with a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. I think that rates as a Class C. We seem to have plenty of room, but then again, we don't full-time. We really do enjoy ours and don't have to worry about issues with air brakes and more expensive diesel maintenance. Good luck and have fun.
They don't classify RV's by the weight, it's the design of the box on the chassis. Here's the legal definition direct from RVIA: The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RV Types & Prices
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #40

The answer is there is no answer. That's why there is such a diversity of RV designs. My neighbor has a Class C on a sprinter chassis and was very excited when I brought my Class A home. After several trips in his unit (some with 4 adults) they've come to the conclusion they want something g bigger. But they don't like the "bus" like driving compartment of a Class A. They're thinking Class B because it's more like a car/truck driving experience. My wife and I are exactly the opposite. We like the Class A set-up. Would never even consider a C.

All that said, if you're considering full timing I just don't see it in a C. Less storage and all the other things others have mentioned. But it has to be what's right for you two
Old 05-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
For fulltiming would advise you get an A, more storage, you can turn the seats for visitors. We are getting a C having sold our Class A simply because we won't be traveling as much and we need the extra sleeping areas for gkids.
We lived in our Journey for 8 months or longer a year for 8 years, we also had a gas MH back in 2000. Buy a used older diesel, something like a Winnebago Journey or comparable the furnishings are made for constant wear or a higher end gasser as far as CCC, on our 32 foot gasser was 4400 lb with a 5000 lb hitch and the 36 Journey was same with a10,000 lb hitch. Good Luck
Old 05-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
In reply to Timons post, all Winnebago Class A s have a steel passenger cage upfront, the box is also reinforced that is why they are used for medical buses, cabinets and appliances are bolted to frame.

Tags
class a, class c