Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 06:50 AM   #43

Thanks, LAKEWOODPAUL and STEPSIDE454. From my earlier comment one can tell I'm not really sure what determines the classification. Is it weight, length, engine size and type, all of that, something else, or more? I just know I don't need a Texas Class A CDL to drive it because it does not exceed 26,000 lbs GVWR, even fully loaded and towing. Perhaps someone could steer all us newbies to industry guidelines so we can better understand and play withing the highway rules.

Thanks, again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Thanks, LAKEWOODPAUL and STEPSIDE454. From my earlier comment one can tell I'm not really sure what determines the classification. Is it weight, length, engine size and type, all of that, something else, or more? I just know I don't need a Texas Class A CDL to drive it because it does not exceed 26,000 lbs GVWR, even fully loaded and towing. Perhaps someone could steer all us newbies to industry guidelines so we can better understand and play withing the highway rules.

Thanks, again.
Here's something that will help explain the different classes
https://bishsrv.wordpress.com/2012/0...-c-motorhomes/https://bishsrv.wordpress.com/2012/0...-c-motorhomes/

Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #45

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When looking at the A vs. C motorhomes, don't forget to look at the crossover class A units or the Thor ACE, Forest River FR3, Coachmen Pursuit and other units. They use the class A type chassis and have features like the class C does. Drop down bed over the front drivers area, sofa beds, and dinette beds and the larger queen and king beds. Still a gas unit like the class C units. If on the Ford F-53 chassis it has a little more horse power and torque than the E series chassis due to the 3 valve engine.

Safety wise is a wash. Yes the E series has the cut away cab and steel work. But the frame members are smaller box type with a light front bumper out front. If you look at the F-53 frame you have larger main frame rails with a 6" or so front cross member in place of the lighter weight bumper. You are also sitting slightly higher in the larger chassis. Making it more likely of you overriding the other vehicle, than them overriding you. Yes most class A units have mostly just fiberglass out front in front of you. But if you look closely at both chassis on the Ford E series and the Ford F-53 series you have almost all the same stuff, just mounted a slight bit different.

The biggest hazard in either of the two units is all the stuff that is going to be flying forward during the accident. Both units have very similar construction of the body or box unit. Cabinets, tables, food, dishes, and all the other things are going to want to continue forward till it hits the front of the unit or a wall. This is the bigger hazard than if we have air bags or not.

Drive both types of units and get what works best for you and the family. Take both types and get them weighted to see what type of capacity you have left for what you want to carry. And if you do your own repair work look at how easy you can get to things like the oil drain plug and filter. If you can get under the unit without a lift or ramps. Most car ramps will not be safe with the weights of a motorhome on them. And check out the prices of brake pads, rotors, exhaust systems and similar parts on both the E series and F series chassis. You might be surprised to find them close to the same price.

Good luck and happy camping.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
And those Super C Rigs ride just like a U Haul Truck ! They don't have a Decent pass through for normal size
people!

Other than losing About Ten Feet of usable interior space they can be quite sumptuous !
IMHO

The true Super Cs, I'm talking about ones on Freightliner or Volvo chassis not those on the Ford platform, I've looked into have full air suspension like a Class A DP and the ride is just as good.

As far as loosing space that's true you do loose the distance from the dash to the front of the hood. On an M2 based Super C that' about 5' and on a Class 8 cab such as a Volvo based one you loose about 7'.

Also, having the engine out front makes the rig much easier to service and you'll fine many more service centers which will service them who would not service a DP. They also don't have to enter the main part of your home while working as they stay in the cab and you can close the area in-between.

I think they also drive easier since the steer tires are out front instead of below or behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
In reply to Timons post, all Winnebago Class A s have a steel passenger cage upfront, the box is also reinforced that is why they are used for medical buses, cabinets and appliances are bolted to frame.
That may be but you still don't have the same crush zone and other safety features that the truck cab provides. How many DP do you find with full driver and passenger air bags?

Not that I need this ability but how many DP do you find that have the ability to tow 20,000 pounds? While I know most don't need that but except for the smallest Super Cs with the 6.7L ISB engine that's basically standard but on a DP you're talking in the half a mill range.

I'll sacrifice some room over the service convenience and safety features a true Super C provides.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #47

Thanks, Mich F. I now know with certainty we have a Class A. Happy traveling, everyone.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #48

BTW, a Super C can be just at plush as a Class A. Check out The Ikon line of Super Cs.

http://www.renegaderv.com/products/m...kon-motorcoach
Old 05-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #49

We love our Super C built by Silver Crown, Freightliner Columbia Chassis, 515 HP Turbo....Drives like a dream, safer than any A, and if I don't feel like doing service myself, $3-400 and TA will do it, or any truck stop, and no one has to come into my bedroom....I also enjoy being in the left lane while in the mountains passing all the Class A's lumbering along...
Old 05-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I really like the 06 ford V-10 28-29' class Cs. I rented a 25' that had huge storage under the corner bed but I prefer a rear bedroom and overhead bunk. We rented a 31' C basement but I did not like the layout or how it drove - the basement was really tiny and I think the 25' Ranger had more usable storage.

Long story short we got a 31' class a because a deal came along. I like the layout and space but did have to replace the windshields cause I cracked them during improper leveling.

There is no "perfect" size rv for all occasions.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
we just sold our 93 class A Southwind...31ft.
Bought a new 32 Jayco class C Greyhawk...32ft.
The biggest problem with the new A's..they are too tall...
Our old Southwind fit in our Metal Building just fine...
I miss a lot of the A features...#1, our water capacity was twice our new C rig.
Underneath the double rail F53 chassis (Ford) was way more substantial...there is nothing under our new C's storage boxes for support...my portable Honda 2000 generator makes the box sag...
The old Southwind had two 6v. house batteries factory installed...
Our new C has one 12v. house battery...we boondock a lot..so getting second 12v. installed... will carry 5 gallon water jugs too when necessary.
But our new C has auto leveling jacks factory installed...old C's did not..storage is better than the older C's too...
Engine access is way better...ride is smoother...Jayco "J" ride is really good...
We are seniors and entry-exit from front seats is great...
Our two slideouts give us way more room than our old non-slide Southwind.
We have not travelled in our brand new C yet...so time will tell how we get along with it...My wife loves our new C...I am more mechanically inclined...but a Happy Wife is really the #1 requirement in our home...
Old 05-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #52

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark View Post
We will be retiring in approx. a year and it is our intention to become full timers. We have not owned or operated any RV before.

I would like to hear from experience why you would choose a Class C over a Class A. Our search has just begun and we've been reading about both classes online and visiting a couple of local RV dealers. We are having a hard time deciding and we hope this forum will help us.

Thanks.
Having the same fun choosing between the A and C even like the B+. Looking at all the angles of operating to cost and ease of maintaining it. We decided we wanted one that was not over 26 foot in length. Then we did not want to climb over each other getting in and out of the upper bunk. We have no intention of living in it full time but will make long trips in the summer (schools out she teaches) It will need to have enough room to set up her sewing machine (quilter) Most of the time will not be spent on interstate driving. I am retired and in no hurry anyway. I am finding better deals on used A over Cs. Gas mileage does not bother me if I run out of money I park until next pay check comes in.

Going to look at an A Monday 1996 Damon Daybreak 2500 that fits our needs, we Have been looking for over 6 months and being very picker over condition for the price.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
C vs A

I am reading this thread with a great deal of interest because we are going through a similar evaluation. What appeals to me most about moving from our Class C (that we like perfectly well) to a Class A is the additional room you get from being able to turn the front driver and passenger seats around and use them in the living space. Also appealing are the larger tank and closet sizes. What appeals to me about our Class C is having the two front doors (I realize I can get a driver side door on some Class A coaches) at a convenient height, the safety features that go with the front end style, and the versatility of driving a 32' unit vs a longer one.

There is no right or wrong answer to your question. As mentioned by other posters, it comes down to what is right for you.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
What appeals to me most about moving from our Class C (that we like perfectly well) to a Class A is the additional room you get from being able to turn the front driver and passenger seats around and use them in the living space.

The two front captains chairs in my Class C swivel around. Mind you the drivers seat can't go past 90 degrees because of the dinette. The passenger seat though is a favourite spot for my book-worm DW since it then puts the windshield and side windows and lots of natural light beside and behind her.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #55

I just went through this exact scenario and finally purchased a Travel Leisure Libero at 25 ft.

I realized our main priority was, at this stage of our lives we are still "travelers" and not "campers". We plan to see most of the USA and Canada including many cities to drive through, before choosing one or two places to wait out the Canadian winters. When we reach that point, I see us moving up to a Class A or 5th wheel.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just purchased our Class C Outlaw, we love it, it's called the 29h, E450. We purchased due to parking issues, with our HOA nothing over 31 ft. Plus an A would have been difficult to get into our parking pad. Touring the US one day at a time.

Judy and Kerry, with Yorkie Babies Tweety, Jessi James, Wyatt Earp, Isabella. Boyz and there toys Angel Baby 2009 HD Road King, with Dyna 2008 HD Screaming Eagle. US Army Ret X2.::2015 37ls Outlaw, RVM97
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c