Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #29

If I didn't have to consider the needs of the kids I'd pick a DP Class A but there are new expenses in the house that make the purchase questionable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
For us it was the ability to drive (the DW felt like she could never driver an A but couild the C if needed). I like the two doors and the lower to ground.
Agree. Also, the initial purchase (used) was more affordable and, compared with the used Class A's we looked at, the 2004 Itasca Spirit was head and shoulders above everything else.

Here's something else. Class A interiors seems to look so much like an apartment on wheels. That's fine for some people. But my RV interior looks and feels like a camper, and I kinda like that feeling. Reminds me I'm not home when I'm in a state or national park, if you know what I mean.

VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #31

For ME... The main reason is that no matter what direction I am driving at no matter what time of the day... I DON'T have to sit in the sun.

Tim
Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a 2012 28 foot coachman freelander and now a 35 foot tiffin.
The shorter C was easier in tight place due to it's length.
The A actually turns sharper.
The A gives more walkable floor space than the C due to sitting on top of rather than behind the engine.
The second full time bed is missed but the opposing slides are great.
The floorplan is a matter of preference.
I love the power awning but the manual one let me set the angle and came out further. The wet bay and auto tank flush beat dragging a garden hose and cleaning wand inside.
It's all a trade off.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
I'm Trying to figure out why it's easier to park/maneuver a "C" than an "A"? Enlighten me oh wise one!
First you did not have to make such a snarky comment.

My own experience is that yes the class c was easier to get around in tight areas. I have had 3 class A's and went to a class C last year - our class C is a foot narrower then any of our A's were (8 1/2 vs 9 1/2) - I live in West Virginia in a old city with narrow streets that foot makes a big difference.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
Thanks guys. The main reason I cant pick a MH is the towing capacity. WE found the super C thor and have read all the negatives but this one my DH actually likes a lot. We now need to see if the local dealership has one with the upgraded gen and then see if we like it in person
We went from having 3 class A's over the past 23 years to a 2012 (Thor) Freedom Elite 26E have made 2 round trips from WV to AZ and one to FL, with a 800 lb bike and Jeep JK behind it (you can see in the classifieds a picture of this set up - I am selling the lift) I have just replaced the hydraulic motorcycle lift with a Tandem Tow HDXL Dolly that lets us haul both mine and DW's bikes and DW's Jeep JK.

For me the class C is easier and more comfortable to drive, I do miss some features of the A but DW hated riding up front in them made her nervous in heavy traffic plus I hated having to go through the rig when filling the tank if the weather was bad. we have decided tho to switch to a super B with a diesel - we do not use the overhead bed except for storage on the C and with that gone and a diesel powerplant we can get a few more mpg on long trips (saw 399.9 a gal on a trip to eastern Long Island last week)
Old 05-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never owned a class C. I have had hundreds of customers who have owned one. I must be a researcher at heart. I have always asked my customers about their trips and about their motorhomes. The class C owners liked the ability to get in and out the doors #1. They liked the closeness and secure feeling of the cab #2. They liked the ability to heat and cool the cab area #3. If they had children or grand children they liked the ability of them riding in the over head bunk and looking out the front #4. (please don't tell me how dangerous it is for the kids to be in the cabover. I am just the messenger)
The most complaints were from the women. #1 the floorboard on the passenger side was very narrow. The women had to ride with their feet close together and no room to move them about. #2 You sit down much lower and can't see as much. #3 The class A floor board in higher than the hood of a car. In the event of a car hitting the cab area the car would have to come in to the roof area to even hit your feet. #4 Almost every customer who went from a A to an C, felt the C was not as stable as the A.
My observation is, I would much rather work on a A engine than a C.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyClark View Post
First you did not have to make such a snarky comment.

My own experience is that yes the class c was easier to get around in tight areas. I have had 3 class A's and went to a class C last year - our class C is a foot narrower then any of our A's were (8 1/2 vs 9 1/2) - I live in West Virginia in a old city with narrow streets that foot makes a big difference.
It wasn't a "snarky comment" I was just wondering,sorry if you took it that way.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
I bought a used class C because I like the looks.

Besides, my class C has stripes and all the class A's I saw had swoops.

I don't like swoops.
Like they say "to each their own" I don't like the looks of a "C", Looks like a box on wheels.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #38

Well even the "A" look pretty much like a box on wheels so...
Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
I love the fact that if I want a certain vehicle specific part or accessory all I have to do is look up a Ford E-450 for my class C. Made putting in a custom head unit a breeze since they already have the stereo kits readily available every where.

ga traveler made a good point about the cabin A/C and heat doing a great job in keeping things comfortable. Even my DW and DC are comfortable when they are seated at the dinette while we drive down the road.

Of course he also made a good point about working on the engines too. That V10 would be a PITA to work on if I were doing more than standard maintenance and I am not a fan of the interior shield inside the cabin that sits over the transmission. It does eat up valuable foot space though I haven't really noticed any discomfort yet on any of the drives I have done. Just seems wasted space.

And the only motor homes I have seen that don't look like box on wheels are the aerodynamic class C's and B's. All the rest look like Greyhounds or city transit buses to me. But then if I was concerned about style I would be driving my MR2 or VFR. As long as my Class C keeps my wife and kid comfortable while doing road trips and camping she's a beauty to me.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a C because of more flexible sleeping arrangements. I know some of the newest A's are offering more variety in configurations (bunks, etc) but most of the units in our price range only offered a main bed and a fold-out couch. We have two kids, and the C gives us a bed over the cab, which means we don't have to convert the dinette to a bed every night.

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #41

I think the ideal small class would be with the Ford or Dodge diesel truck front end. You have would lots of power and fuel economy.

Gas class A ride much rougher due to the leaf spring front axle suspension. The truck and the van front end has coil springs which are also independent.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHB View Post
I think the ideal small class would be with the Ford or Dodge diesel truck front end. You have would lots of power and fuel economy.

Gas class A ride much rougher due to the leaf spring front axle suspension. The truck and the van front end has coil springs which are also independent.
We have a Chevy Express chassis on our 2011 Coachmen Freelander 21QB. There is so much more room in the cock pit, a step of less than 1 inch between cab and RV and lots of foot room and head room as well. Having test driven the same rig on a Ford chassis, I have to give Chevy credit for a more comfortable ride and better handling.

We have always been Ford people, so endorsing a Chevy is unusual for us, but we love the ride.

kelliepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c