Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Why did you choose a class C?

My husband has never been a fan but a recent trip to the beach has him thinking about a class c over a class a for ease and park ability.

Thoughts??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #2

I'm Trying to figure out why it's easier to park/maneuver a "C" than an "A"? Enlighten me oh wise one!
Old 05-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not own either , but it would seem a Class C is smaller,in most cases, and maybe easier to maneuver.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
I do not own either , but it would seem a Class C is smaller,in most cases, and maybe easier to maneuver.
That's the only thing I can think of,but then,they do make small class "A's"
Old 05-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
That's the only thing I can think of,but then,they do make small class "A's"
Agreed, but they are rarely found on the dealers lot. It seems if the unit is an "A" then it is big!

Between the two,personally, I would go with a small "A." But that is just me.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #6

The choice for me was simple.

The DW moved a gazillion times in her early days, she's VERY comfortable driving a cube van, not so much a class A.

It's a bunch less steps up & down to get in & out. It also has both a drivers & passengers door, more easy in & out.

It has 2 full down queen size beds, if the DW starts snoring ( ;-p ) there's another one to retreat too.

Happy wife, happy life.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
For us it was the ability to drive (the DW felt like she could never driver an A but couild the C if needed). I like the two doors and the lower to ground. After I got used to the overhead cab I don't mind it at all driving. We went from a 40 foot 5th wheel and crew cab truck so really enjoying the 32 foot class C for ease of getting around and parking.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #8

To be honest I never even considered a 'A'. I figured they were more money and for those that could spend more time in them rather than people that simply use them as vacation machines and long weekend getaways.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Just out of curiosity, How many of you have actually driven a class A? A good quality A? I often see these arguments, but I don't know how many have actually driven anything else. It does take a couple trips to get comfortable with a bigger rig. I really do get the closer to the ground thing when it comes to entering/exiting the coach that is a definite plus.

When we started looking is was positive that we wanted a B+, untill the price and what was not included. IE, level jacks and such. It was also brought to my attention that the box part of most B+ and C units are pretty close to the same size as an A. Yeah you're lower to the ground, but that's not always a good thing. I know in the rain I have a clear view with little to no splash from other vehicles. As for maneuverability, It was able to put our 34' gasser anywhere I needed to. In fact being up higher gave me better visibility. When I stick my head out the window I have a clear view down the side. I've gotten pretty good at handling our 42' now, wife drives it too. I understand that the wheelbase is shorter on C's and B's, but I don't have to worry about my tail swinging around either. I find I drive much more carefully when in the RV because it's different than a van or truck. Do you guys find yourselves sometimes forgetting that your in a bigger vehicle?

I'm not trying to start a war or anything, I'm just curious.

Oh, and s1njin, you figured wrong.

Stay between the lines my friends.....
Old 05-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
My assumption is about height for camping, the c would be easier. Also pulling up to a parking spot at a beach, parallel, the class c would be easier to find a spot. We do plan on an Entegra class A in a few years, was going to be sooner but I decided to go back to work and we will just have time for small trips.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A lot depends upon how you use your motorhome and your camping lifestyle. We like to bring family and friends along. And when we do, the Class A gives us a much more fun time when on the road as everyone can relax and do their thing and we're all together.
Pexring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2 View Post

Oh, and s1njin, you figured wrong.
Yah I know.

However, as with most things in life 'ignorance is bliss'. I never looked inside a A, or drove one. So I don't know what I'm missing.

Coming from a pop-up tent to a hybrid travel trailer and dealing w/ all the vagaries of towing and hitching and the like - I'm okay with being ignorant of the A's. We feel fortunate and thrilled to be able to get the 'C' we have.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2 View Post
Just out of curiosity, How many of you have actually driven a class A? A good quality A? I often see these arguments, but I don't know how many have actually driven anything else. It does take a couple trips to get comfortable with a bigger rig.

I don't know about the others, but long before I bought a C I'd rented A's several times, used my fathers A's too many times to count.

In my case the A is more comfortable for me going down the road, but not for my DW.

I also was unable to find an A with 2 queen beds, not a jackknife sofa or converted dinette, but 2 beds, let alone in a very short unit. I have that with my C.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
My husband has never been a fan but a recent trip to the beach has him thinking about a class c over a class a for ease and park ability.

Thoughts??
I don't think this is a Class A versus C issue at all. It's a conceptual issue that Class A units are built on large truck or bus chassis' versus Class C units built on truck chassis' which are approximately van size.

Compare two Sprinters which are Class A and Class C: The Winnebago Via is a truck chassis Class A. The Winnebago View Profile is based on a truck chassis cab. The biggest difference is that Winnebago builds the cab area on the Via and it is therefore considered a Class A.

Based on your observation, any 25' RV compared to any substantially longer RV is going to be easier to drive based on size and weight considerations.

However, there are OTHER considerations than just length, weight, and economy of operation. There are a number of towns and cities that ban RVs based on Class. I know there are a few in the Northeast that do not allow Class A units at all.

And conversely I know of some RV parks in Florida, that allow only Class A units. Some older RV parks and some National parks have length restrictions at 30'. So size is a consideration, regardless of class.

Based on size and weight alone, a smaller RV can go many places with ease, park in smaller spots, and is more widely accepted than the larger RV. I think this is the issue, not what Class an RV is.

Right now Class A sales are up some. Class B sales are steady (down slightly) and Class C sales are up over 30%.
elektron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c