Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
I can certainly understand and appreciate the OP terrible frustration (Keith). Sound like his family did a good amount of research prior to this large purchase backed up with exciting dreams for new adventures. The many problems AND a lack of customer service just drives those dreams into the ground. Now every new sound or noise sets off all kinds of alarms.

In our situation, we looked at a Nexus that was made available in an unattended Nexus rented warehouse in the DFW area for buyers to examine. The warehouse was over 95 degrees, the warehouse lights were off, and it was unclear how to turn on the RV lights. Once I sorted that out, we looked careful at this "Showroom" Nexus and found too many problems reflecting a serious lack of attention to detail. Btw, this was a Class C Nexus. I'd like to wish this family the best as they try to sort this out with Nexus.
Precisely what we saw !
You would think a company would show their best quality workmanship when they send out these Demo's for all the public to see their work !
Apparently and obviously NOT in their situation.

To me that would be like the big auto show in Detroit and the auto manufacturers just take a vehicle off the assembly line and send it out !
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 01:26 AM   #16

We paid them a visit last week. They no longer have the showroom set up as it has been repurposed as the final QC area and I watched them doing a Super C and a Class A. They are running them through multiple cycles of everything, take them out and drive them, and then run them through again.

When y'all find the perfect, defect free MH, let the rest of us know. We found more cosmetic issues with a $350K+ in 5 minutes at a show than we have found in ours in a year, including a couple of self inflicted ones. Go read the owners forums and other RV sites and you will see that the Tiffins, Newmars, and others also have issues. These are mechanical devices assembled by humans. It is gonna happen.

I saw the changes that both Thor and Nexus are making to get better control over QC issues both on the line and going out the door. I don't know how what that is installed by who is tracked by RV builders, but I know that ambulances and rescue trucks have come with a build book showing exactly who installed what and who performed the QC at different stages. With the availability of barcode scanners and printers, developing (if not already) a system to track every coach through every stage and see everybody who touched it and who installed what.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
When y'all find the perfect, defect free MH, let the rest of us know.
I believe the OP primary frustration has been the lack of factory support and communications regarding an unusually high number of significant problems. If the factory would allow the OP to bring their Nexus to the factory for repairs as does Newmar, Tiffin, and countless other manufacturers, he'd be much relieved.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
I believe the OP primary frustration has been the lack of factory support and communications regarding an unusually high number of significant problems. If the factory would allow the OP to bring their Nexus to the factory for repairs as does Newmar, Tiffin, and countless other manufacturers, he'd be much relieved.
That's the main point. I understand that these are complex assemblies, and there there are bound to be problems.

For example, my Suburban water heater igniter board stopped working (twice, actually). I did call Nexus the first time, and they arranged for me to drop the coach at a local shop to have it repaired. The shop took three weeks to do this repair, and replaced the Suburban board with a direct OEM replacement. The shop said that the warranty on it was through Suburban, not Nexus, by the way.

When the new board failed again a couple of weeks later, I did my own research and found out that the Suburban board has a high rate of failure. I didn't want to wait another 3 weeks for a repair shop to swap it with the same high-failure part, so I ordered a new igniter board with a higher reputation from Dinosaur. The new board cost me $80, arrived in two days, and it took me 15 minutes to change out.

That experience told me that a lot of the warranty isn't really on Nexus, but on the individual component makers. However, the slide failure was a direct result of Nexus installing the slide well out of design tolerance. Had that happened next month (after my Nexus warranty is up) then most likely I'd have had to pay that out of my own pocket. The LCI tech indicated that it would have been right at $1000 for that repair.

Because that slide was installed so far out of tolerance, along with all of the other items that I *can* see, I'm left wondering what items are waiting to bite me that I *can't* see. I've been (I think, anyway) reasonable with my expectations, and with my communication with them. Their motto is, "We build your dream", but I'm left wondering if my dream is about to turn into a long term nightmare, and Nexus is making no effort to change my mind.

-Keith

PS, I forgot to add in my first post that one morning before the slide fiasco we were breaking the coach down to move it. All of the leveling jacks came up and I got the "all up" light. Then about 15 or 20 seconds later I got a "not up" warning. The left rear jack had drifted out of the stowed position. After troubleshooting this, I found that the hydraulic reservoir had just enough fluid to wet the bottom of the tank. There were no leaks, and I've had no problems with the system since I corrected the fluid level and purged the rear jacks. That implies to me that when Nexus installed the leveling system they didn't purge it properly. Frankly, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the system to be properly installed, purged, fluid level checked prior to customer delivery..

Finally, for the record this is, according to our paperwork from Nexus, a 2018 model year Viper 29v. We bought it new, and took delivery in April of 2017.
Javabean215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #19

For you "oldsters" that know what a "Heath Kit" is, I can tell you "if" we could buy the parts for a MH, TT, Fiver, Etc, and had the facilities and tools to put these things together out of a box that we could put them together better and end up with a final product that has a lower failure rate.

I totally understand that many of the "components" of any particular unit may/will/and do fail, however, I'm saying that the individual components would be put together better, more accurately installed, and MUCH less failure would result due to "simple SLOPPY installation and assembly" and the need to "get it down the line" attitudes.

Ok...I'm done!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #20

As we were considering upgrading to a diesel Super C, one of the local RV places here has a 2018 Nexus Phantom 33SC on the lot for $149K. Unit was "used" with about 4K miles. After reading the responses here , some magazine reviews, as tempting as this was, we decided not to even go and look at the unit as it was "use" and trying to get any resolution with Nexus now appears to be quite difficult. Apparently, with their restructure, and sales being good, they seem to have let customer service suffer which is going to come back and bite them in the butt.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
As we were considering upgrading to a diesel Super C, one of the local RV places here has a 2018 Nexus Phantom 33SC on the lot for $149K. Unit was "used" with about 4K miles. After reading the responses here , some magazine reviews, as tempting as this was, we decided not to even go and look at the unit as it was "use" and trying to get any resolution with Nexus now appears to be quite difficult. Apparently, with their restructure, and sales being good, they seem to have let customer service suffer which is going to come back and bite them in the butt.
So much for all the BS about caring for the Customers!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #22

My wife and I were considering upgrading from a C to a Super C like the Nexus Wraith. After reading this thread we are going to cross them off the list. This is very disappointing since we met the owners of Nexus who seemed sincere and honest about producing a good product. As others have mentioned I believe they have lost the control of quality due in part to their success. It will be interesting to see if one of the mega builders will gobble them up like they have done with so many other smaller companies.

Service after the sale is the most important thing that will make or break a company of any type. It amazes me how many of these builders get away with walking away from the problem all together as soon as the warranty is up, even though it can be proven that they initially caused the problem in their factory. I don't care if a unit is 5 years out of warranty. If the builder caused the problem because of something they did wrong they should stand behind it and fix it.

I am sorry to say that there is very little integrity in this industry.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
The hard part is that very well made RVs and companies that care for their customers is no guarantee of success. Born Free went out of business this past summer. They were top notch RVs with great service.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #24

The above comments are very real. My experience with Dynamax is very positive. The main reason, IMHO, is the excellent PDI at the dealer. After they were finished I spent two nights in their RV park so we could wring it out. After any question/complaints they were there in 5 minutes with a tech to fix the problem. The only problem after I drove it home (1200 miles) was the Agua-hot had a problem. Never called Dynamax about it, called Aqua-hot and they had a mobile service guy come to my location and replaced a module. All's well.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #25

When Nexus was selling direct with no dealers, they had to get it right or fix it. Now they've ventured into dealer sales and volumes have increased. Their sense of responsibility has been passed on and the increase in volume along with dependency on the dealers to PDI and fine tune the mistakes will turn them over.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #26

Rv

I know this is an old thread but i have been considering a nexus super c also but not any more. I dont need the frustration of a piece of crap, i already have one of those by Thor.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #27

Nexus

Keith, RV’s are similar to submarines in someways. I have a 1998 Safari that I love... no slides and simple. Just as the new Seawolf class has all the bells and whistles, I still think the most dependable submarine was the 637 class. So simple! Built like a tractor and it just worked! Maybe you would appreciate something more tried and true and equally able to be made a home. Just say’n
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #28

There were some good points about Nexus I liked although I had some reservations. I prefer flush mounted windows. I like a front living room layout. I also watched a YouTube video showing a Nexus coach it wasn't very well done, short on facts, frequent mistakes, and the CEO struck me as a douche. Coupled with your experience, I won't be going near them.
cmcconn is offline   Reply With Quote